C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1962 electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:06 AM
jwm62vette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1962 electrical help

I have a 1962 vette. My Amp Meter always reads negative. I have had the generator rebuilt, and installed a new voltage regulator. I have also installed a complete new engine wiring harness. To trace the problem, what readings should I have 1) at the generator "A" terminal, "F" terminal? I have a good voltage / Amp tester. Where should I put the + and - testers to get the readings.

What should my readings be at the voltage regulator if I test between the "Bat" connector and ground?

Which terminal should the 12 ga Red wire that runs to the Amp Meter be connected to? I have it connected to the negative (-) side.

There is a 12 ga Black wire that goes from my Pos (+) side of the meter back to the "B" terminal on the starter solenoid. The heavy guage Red #6 guage battery wire then runs to the Positive (+) side of my battery.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:15 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

It probably reads negative because it's connected backwards - all the 1962 Corvette wiring diagrams except the one in the Assembly Manual are wrong, and show the ammeter connections backwards. The main feed from the battery cable terminal on the starter solenoid (12-ga. black wire) should be connected to the ammeter terminal closest to the driver's door, and all the feeds (red wires) should be connected to the ammeter terminal closest to the passenger side door. This error (and the correct connections) have been shown for many years in the NCRS 1953-1972 Corvette Wiring Diagram Book.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:29 PM
MICK3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a suggestion: you might want to install a fusible link at the starter to protect the feed to the amp gauge if a short develops it will protect your main & ignition harnesses.
It's worth it, don't ask me how I know.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by JohnZ
It probably reads negative because it's connected backwards - all the 1962 Corvette wiring diagrams except the one in the Assembly Manual are wrong, and show the ammeter connections backwards. The main feed from the battery cable terminal on the starter solenoid (12-ga. black wire) should be connected to the ammeter terminal closest to the driver's door, and all the feeds (red wires) should be connected to the ammeter terminal closest to the passenger side door. This error (and the correct connections) have been shown for many years in the NCRS 1953-1972 Corvette Wiring Diagram Book.
Especially if you aren't having other symptoms of a discharge; battery dead, no starting, lights dim, etc.. This is a common C1 'gotcha'...

Seriously consider the prior fusible link suggestion or for slightly less protection (but entirely invisible) put a blade type fuse and holder on the back of the ammeter gauge in the wire coming from the starter. Plenty of info on this via a forum search.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-18-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:56 PM
jwm62vette
5th Gear

Default 62 vette

Thanks;
I was trying to follow the wiring diagram in the 1962 Assembly Manual.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:24 PM
ecorse66
Racer

Have you polarized the generator?

Disconnect the Field wire from the Regulator.
Momentarily touch the Field wire to the "BAT" Terminal on the Regulator.
Just to spark, do not hold on longer than 1 - 2 seconds
Reconnect Field wire & Start Vehicle

Dave T.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:41 PM
jwm62vette
5th Gear

Thanks. I am going to check the wiring per John Z's suggestion first.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by ecorse66
Have you polarized the generator?

Disconnect the Field wire from the Regulator.
Momentarily touch the Field wire to the "BAT" Terminal on the Regulator.
Just to spark, do not hold on longer than 1 - 2 seconds
Reconnect Field wire & Start Vehicle

Dave T.
Actually, thats a good point since your gen was rebuilt and V/R replaced you may have done this as routine maintenance but if not you should do it now.

JohnZ said all the wiring diagrams EXCEPT the AIM were wrong, but that is what you stated you used ... if so you should be wired properly. So you COULD have a different problem - polarization perhaps.

BTW - if you get tired of screwing with that crummy mechanical V/R I have a guy that makes a solid state conversion. Its the ONLY place to get one for a generator car and its all built into the original V/R housing and undetectable.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-19-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:42 AM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano
BTW - if you get tired of screwing with that crummy mechanical V/R I have a guy that makes a solid state conversion. Its the ONLY place to get one for a generator car and its all built into the original V/R housing and undetectable.
Frank,
What's one of those set a person back?
David

Get notified of new replies

To 1962 electrical help

Quick Reply: 1962 electrical help