C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Alternator alignment !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Kurt G.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator alignment !!!!

65 vert..327/365...finishing restoration, put water pump pulley on today to ck belt alignment...Well, the idler pulley lines up with the inside groove of the engine pulleys (I think thats right) , but the alternator sits about 1/2" too far back (towards the fire wall) and so the belt is off by about 1/2" or so. Could it be possible that the shop that rebuilt my alt. put the wrong pulley back on ? OR does the 365 hp motor have a pulley with 2 grooves?? If I had one more groove that would give me the extra I need. I don't remember my alt. having a 2 groove pulley on it when I took it in. Nothing was changed on the motor during the restoration, the exhaust man. are the same, the brackets are the same etc etc Thanks for any help...

OR---- is it the idler pulley that out of wack ?? DOes the alt belt go on the inside groove or the outside groove??

Last edited by Kurt G.; 10-01-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: more info..
Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 PM
C2Driver
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt G.
<<<Snip>>> OR does the 365 hp motor have a pulley with 2 grooves?? If I had one more groove that would give me the extra I need. I don't remember my alt. having a 2 groove pulley on it when I took it in. Nothing was changed on the motor during the restoration, the exhaust man. are the same, the brackets are the same etc etc Thanks for any help...

OR---- is it the idler pulley that out of wack ?? DOes the alt belt go on the inside groove or the outside groove??

Kurt, I have my original 1963 327-250 H.P. engine on an engine stand in the garage and I just checked it - 2 groove pulley on the alternator. Although, I honestly don't know if OE came that way.

- Pat
Old 10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

Solid liftrer engines (365 aqnd 375HP) come with DEEP GROOVE pulleys. If you don't use them, you will lose your fanbelt every time you take it to high (6500/7000) rpm. Bottom line, your pulleys should line up.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 PM
blewbyu16
Instructor

When I was building my 65 327/350 I had the same problem. Found that there is an offset pulley that is in the Vette catalogs that works perfect. This pulley was for the 250/365 hp cars.

Dave
Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Kurt G.
Racer

Thanks guys for the quik responses!! As usual, you are the best. I did find the correct offset pulley in my Paragon catalog, part #1648. And it looks to have just the offset I need. !! I guess the guys that rebuilt my alt. replaced my old pulley with a new shiny one. I guess that goes to show you, "take pictures of your stuff, and make sure it comes back just as you sent it out". Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator alignment !!!!

Quick Reply: Alternator alignment !!!!