C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 dual master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Having no machining skills, I bought the C1 modified Mopar master cylinder from Vette Products of Michigan. On my 59, I have a rebuilt 383 small block with a 4900R Fuel Injection unit rebuilt by Jerry Bramlett. Jerry made it a work of art. I also have the Jim Meyer IFS. I'm installing vintage air and painted the compressor black to blend it in the compartment better, and also added the Powergen alternator. I will probably add a Frigidaire sticker to the compressor and a dated delco generator tag to the alternator to go along with my "Foolie" theme.

I was able to install the master cylinder without drilling out and flipping around the bolts from the brake/clutch bracket. It took quite a bit of sequencing/fiddling around to get it done. I got lucky and ended up with a little bit of space between both the M/C and the air cleaner, and the air cleaner and the alternator. Here are some pictures of my current progress:

Last edited by Loren Smith; 06-21-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Loren,

Very nicely done!

A tad tight there between the m/c and filter, but it does fit! Good job using the existing studs and nuts on the mounting.

Plasticman
Old 06-21-2015, 03:54 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Loren,

Very nicely done!

A tad tight there between the m/c and filter, but it does fit! Good job using the existing studs and nuts on the mounting.

Plasticman
Thanks! There is a little more clearance than what it shows on that picture because the m/c is higher than the slope of the air cleaner. Plus, I don't have the lower mounting bolts for the a/c mounted for that mock up; when I do, I can rotate the a/c counterclockwise and get another 1/8" of clearance. This gives me about 3/8" of clearance which is hopefully enough without having to shave any off the m/c tip.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
Thanks! There is a little more clearance than what it shows on that picture because the m/c is higher than the slope of the air cleaner. Plus, I don't have the lower mounting bolts for the a/c mounted for that mock up; when I do, I can rotate the a/c counterclockwise and get another 1/8" of clearance. This gives me about 3/8" of clearance which is hopefully enough without having to shave any off the m/c tip.
If I remember correctly, wmf62 (Bill) shifted his air cleaner forward just a tad.

Plasticman
Old 06-22-2015, 12:59 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

this is what a 'tad' looks like...
Bill
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

One more thing, I used the stock firewall seal at the firewall instead of the nicer metal spacer Charles fabricated (see post 30). The m/c is on tight and does not rock any when I push on it, so I think it will work. It is Corvette Central part no. 191009:

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50e&ukey=43817
Old 05-05-2022, 07:53 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

The brass seats in the fitting holes are flare seats and are replaceable if they become deformed, they are also used on some power steering units that use direct flare lines. They are easy to replace, some years ago I bought an assortment of sizes and keep them in a small box and still use one every now and then to stop a leak.

Bill
Old 05-05-2022, 12:41 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by emccomas
I saw an ad for a dual master cylinder that had been modified to directly bolt in place on a C1. Did not need that tube that sticks it out in space. AD was from Crane Corvettes.

Any idea where I can get one (other than Crane)?
This is a old thread. It discusses a Mopar style drum/drum master cylinder used from 67 to I think 70. It is flat on the top and is often used in conversions because of its 1" bore and clearance. You can buy it at any parts store. I have one in a 61 Plymouth where it fits under the Mopar booster and is used with GM front disks and Mopar rear drums.

It is designed for 4 wheel drums because the reservoir does not hold the quantity of fluid considered safe for disks as they wear. The piston and travel will work with disks but because disks require more fluid as they wear than drums a master designed for disks holds more fluid.

As such you MUST CHECK fluid more often when using this master with disks in the front. ALSO! This master has residual valves in BOTH ports because it is intended for drum brakes. You MUST remove the residual valve from the port for the front brakes before using it with disks.

Dan
Old 05-05-2022, 03:09 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Dan,

Nope, not all of them had the residual pressure valves (mine was a new Cardone unit without the valves in either port).
See post #92 for all of various the part numbers.
And yes, if they had the residual pressure valves, in both ports, the bowl that serves the front disk calipers should have the valve removed.

Yes, this is an old thread, but think inaccurate post info should be corrected, before it is closed..

Plasticman
Old 05-05-2022, 03:33 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Dan,

Nope, not all of them had the residual pressure valves (mine was a new Cardone unit without the valves in either port).
See post #92 for all of various the part numbers.
And yes, if they had the residual pressure valves, in both ports, the bowl that serves the front disk calipers should have the valve removed.

Yes, this is an old thread, but think inaccurate post info should be corrected, before it is closed..

Plasticman
If it came in a box for Chrysler products with 4 wheel drums than it sure as hell should have the residuals and if not they were removed by a purchaser who returned them or perhaps to remarket for another application. I am all too familiar with Mopar masters. Chrysler did not to my knowledge use or market this master for use with drum brakes without the residuals. I cannot speak to what Corvette aftermarket suppliers offer.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 05-05-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:10 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Dan,

I never stated that it came for a 4 wheel drum system. Nor did I state that it ever came from a Corvette supplier (it did not, it was purchased by fellow forum member WMF62 from a local auto parts store). I was the one who modified two of these M/C for use in our two 62 Corvettes, using the concept trail blazed by fellow forum member Cbernhardt.

Some Mopars of that era came with disk brakes. I have used Mopar 4 piston calipers in the past from this time frame, so I have to think this application was used for one of them. My old Kelsey-Hayes parts catalog show Mopar disc brakes for cars as early as 1965, but I do not have a cross reference for what M/C came with what brake system. I suppose I can look in my old Hollander later.

I am simply stating that not all came for dedicated drum systems, and this aftermarket supplied M/C did not have the residual pressure valves in either port.

Just wanted to make sure that forum members may be looking for a residual pressure valve, where it may not be present.

Plasticman
Old 05-05-2022, 06:57 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Dan,

I never stated that it came for a 4 wheel drum system. Nor did I state that it ever came from a Corvette supplier (it did not, it was purchased by fellow forum member WMF62 from a local auto parts store). I was the one who modified two of these M/C for use in our two 62 Corvettes, using the concept trail blazed by fellow forum member Cbernhardt.

Some Mopars of that era came with disk brakes. I have used Mopar 4 piston calipers in the past from this time frame, so I have to think this application was used for one of them. My old Kelsey-Hayes parts catalog show Mopar disc brakes for cars as early as 1965, but I do not have a cross reference for what M/C came with what brake system. I suppose I can look in my old Hollander later.

I am simply stating that not all came for dedicated drum systems, and this aftermarket supplied M/C did not have the residual pressure valves in either port.

Just wanted to make sure that forum members may be looking for a residual pressure valve, where it may not be present.

Plasticman
I know your interests are for the best of everybody. However it is important that you and everyone else understand that that master cylinder that you showing your pictures is a Chrysler master cylinder designed for four-wheel drum brakes. It was never intended to be used with any form of disc brake and Chrysler never did so nor did any other manufacturer. That is an important fact. Furthermore anyone using this master cylinder with disc brakes had better check to make sure the residual valves are not in place and not take your word for it. Lastly if it is used with disc brakes as I mentioned in an earlier post it is important that the reservoir is checked often because it does not hold the volume of fluid that a master cylinder reservoir designed to be used with disc brakes would have.

I own many vintage Chrysler products using drum and disc brakes that Master and others as well. Don't want to see anybody get hurt.

Dan
Old 05-05-2022, 08:36 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

...I should add that if you ask for a Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth master for a 67-70 application, drum/drum this is the master you will get. All of them are Chinese made reproduction of the original center bolt Mopar unit and all of them will have residual valves in both ports. What you have sounds like something modified and repackaged.

Dan
Old 05-10-2022, 05:21 PM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Dan,

Plasticman

Quick Reply: C1 dual master cylinder