C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Turkey Run, Daytona Beach

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 AM
jk's 59
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turkey Run, Daytona Beach

Anyone going to the Turkey Run this year in Daytona Beach. This will be my first trip. What can I expect?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to their website at

http://www.turkeyrun.com/Turkey_Run_Home.html

and there you'll see an aerial shot of the speedway with the entire infield and most of the pit and parking areas teeming with cars, vendor kiosks and parts swap areas. Lots of each. Plan on spending the better part of the day there if you want to see all three areas. The swap meet is good but, like many other events of this nature, has seen a decline in kiosks over the last few years and the vendors that sell things other than car parts now out-number the parts folks.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice event and I will be there on Saturday to look around the swap meet area and check out the cars on display. Last year I found a pristine hood support for my 66 for $5! The year before a full set of new headlight buckets ready to install in a midyear went for $975, including the harnesses and bulbs. Try finding that deal on-line today! If I really wanted to see everything there I would need two days. BTW, some vendors don't get there until Friday and others leave late Saturday or early Sunday. If you are looking for something specific from one of them (to take advantage of show pricing w/o shipping charges), make sure you call them before the event and ask them which days they will be there.

Good luck and happy hunting. Remember to get there early in the day, traffic and parking will be a bear.

Last edited by Islander21; 10-28-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm going. Will be my first time there. Is Thursday a good day to go, or is Friday-Saturday the best time? Jeff
Old 10-28-2008, 03:51 PM
muncieman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A major hoot!!

Originally Posted by jk's 59
Anyone going to the Turkey Run this year in Daytona Beach. This will be my first trip. What can I expect?
I've been a number of times and you can expect about 5000 cars and a bunch of onlookers. At night the coastal highway is one very big cruise, lots of doings, you will have a blast
Old 10-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Garner
I'm going. Will be my first time there. Is Thursday a good day to go, or is Friday-Saturday the best time? Jeff

Thanksgiving Thursday is the least crowded day, but also some vendors and show cars won't be there yet. Friday and Saturday are the best and most crowded days.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Gimme1MoreC1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been going to this event even before it had the name Turkey Run. Way, way back, it was a flea market and car show for antique cars only. But, all of the Hot Rodders came to find parts. Eventually the HotRods outnumbered the antiquers, so they moved the venue to a few places, and wound up at the Speedway. What a great place to hold all of those cars and parts. It is a neat event, but don't expect a whole lot of Corvette parts. And sometimes you gotta really dig to find them. After hours you have to go over to the beachside and watch the cars cruise all night long. There is a shopping plaza where a few hundred cars always show up, accross the street from The LaPlaya, which was one of the original "official" hotels for the event. Still they gather in the covered parking area there and surrounding hotels both north and south of there. Warning, save your burnouts, they have cops everywhere. Back in the old days, guys would string a garden hose down from the hotel and water the street for burnouts. The police got wise and do not put up with it, at all. I have never been on Thursday, so I don't know what's there, but Friday and Sat is packed with the crowds. One suggestion is to look just south of Daytona for hotels, or west around Deland, they are cheaper, but still close-by. Also a lot of campgrounds nearby. ENJOY!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:59 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like others have already said....you're gonna love it.

It's not a Corvette Show but there are plenty of Corvettes there. And the Swap Meet is often full of surprises. I almost always get something at the Swap Meet that I may not necessarily be looking for at the moment, but the deal was too good to pass up. I'll show a couple of examples at the end.

We'll be there Friday when the gates open, for a day trip. Hopefully it'll be T-shirt weather but we'll bring a sweater and jacket just in case.

Here's a couple of pics with info......

A brochure I picked up at Spring Daytona re: The Turkey Run.....

A set of mid year front compartment Foil-Backed Ceramic Cloth Insulation and a set of 84-89 Foil-Backed Ceramic Cloth Insulation that I stole. Got the lot for $20.00. I'll use the 84-89 on the rear compartment of my Coupe when I get around to installing this stuff......

A mid year Coupe driver's side moulding surround (or whatever it's called) that I found for $10.00. These aren't reproduced by anyone to my knowledge and I've seen them at Carlisle for over $100.00 ea......
Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

To re-state some things...there is not a lot of vette parts, maybe 3-4 vette vendors that you need to look for. But you never know what you'll find!!!

Imagine the size of the infield of a 2.5 mile track...thats a LOT of cars to look at and vendors to check out!!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:44 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Garner
I always go on Friday and get there around 6:45 - 7:15 and always park in the front, by 8:00 - 8:30 ish that lot will be full.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Plan on getting there Friday and leaving Sunday. It's been a Father/Son weekend for 10 + years. Dad will probably hang out by the car some, while I scrounge around the swap meet trying to beat Islander21 to the bargains If anybody see's the Car in the parking area, you are more than welcome to sit and relax, See you all there.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 AM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I went last year for the first time. Good event, but 700+ miles is farther than I want to go very often. Lots of hotrods, not that many parts. If you want parts go to Auto Fair at Charlotte or Hershey or Carlisle if Vette parts. The cars for sell down on the beach Mall was about as good and FREE.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 PM
jk's 59
Advanced

Thanks for the comments. Not really looking for parts, but if I find a deal.... Charlotte Autofair is the same, not too many corvette parts, but still fun. I will be trailering in on Wed, leaving on Sun. Plan to go to Speedway a couple of days. Cruising the area other days. Beach and nighttime activities will be explored.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Gimme1MoreC1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Beach Dude, your 66 will be easy to find. That is one wild a$$ hotrod, well done. See you there. Are you driving that beast over from Hernando Beach?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

No, I will trailer it over, but the truck/trailer will stay at the speedway for the weekend and we will drive it to/from speedway/hotel, we will also be at Belaire Plaza Fri/Sat nite. once it gets past 60 miles each way, I usually trailer it. Got caught in rain once, not that the car is that nice, just hate driving in the rain, it is short of creature comforts, (read as street legalish).
Old 10-30-2008, 11:08 AM
jk's 59
Advanced

I plan on leaving my truck/trailer at the speedway. I understand there is a place to leave them. Cost? Security? Anything I need to know.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

There is seperate parking for the truck & trailers, no charge other than the show car entry,they lock the gate when they shut down the show for the evening I think at 6:00?? When the gate's are locked, even you will not get access to your truck/trailer, they do have guards as well. Hope to see you there and have a safe trip.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:13 PM
CCOLE1963
1st Gear

Default Ocean Front Resort available TODAY...SUNDAY 23rd..

This is my first time posting here...so not sure IF I'm doing it right. I noticed that you are headed to Daytona for Turkey Rod Run... It's an awesome place for that week. We went last year, and are set up at a Resort to go this year...BUT we also have reserved a resort for my son-in-law and Daughter...BUT they are not being able to make it. SOOOO....

Just wandering if you were still needing a place...or if you know someone else...It is for the entire week but can be used any days of the week of Sun to Sun beginning the 23 of November...$350 for the entire week

It is a 1 bedroom...full kitchen...sleeps 4..and Ocean Front...Daytona Beach Shores...IF you or anyone you know would be interested..Please email me @ ccole1963@hotmail.com

Last edited by CCOLE1963; 11-23-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: forgot to tell how much for the resort
Old 11-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Dean757
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default car corral entrys.

I live near Daytona and will have 2 or 3 cars entered for sale. Stop and say hello IF/when you see my black 56 tbird,white 57 tbird, next to my friends 70 dodge hemi challenger in adjacent spots. Many car corral cars arrive on site wednesday and thursday is first day open to public. Last year I sold a 63 vette on thanksgiving day. I may have my 49 Cadillac completed in time also (waiting on side window). I will be looking for a 1958 vette or a 1963 vette swc to buy. Attached is a pic of the Hemi engine and the blackbird. Dean
Attached Images   

Last edited by Dean757; 11-23-2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: wanted SWC

Get notified of new replies

To Turkey Run, Daytona Beach

Quick Reply: Turkey Run, Daytona Beach