C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

exhaust crackle

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Default exhaust crackle

327-350 in my 64. Had it on the chassis dyno for a day, and the car runs great. However, between gears, 4500rpm and above shifts, there's a crackle,pop out the exhaust. Not a backfire. Unburnt gas? Can't really remember, but I don't recall having this issue in warm/hot summer months. Tried ported and full for the vac. adv., didn't seem to help. Only change I made after the dyno, was replaced open carb spacer with four hole. Motor liked it. Then rejetted/ squirter change, Holley, according to what my dyno suggested. Any ideas?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:02 PM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

is the exhaust crossover in the intake blocked? is so, add an 'H' pipe or 'X' pipe external crossover. it will sound much better.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaky exhaust manifold gasket, cracked header, badly sealed junction header-to-downpipe, etc.

A popping or crackling sound on overrun is a pretty good symptom of an air leak someplace where the gasses are screamingly hot and moving at big velocities, IMO. The exact mechanism of the noise generation is kinda fuzzy, but IIRC it has something to do with unburnt fuel (carbs are wonderful, aren't they ?) and air/oxygen getting sucked into the flow (Bernoulli is dead, but his "principle" lives on) ignites little "microbursts" of fuel.

Or something like that.

Lived with it on an old Norton Commando. And an old Ducati Darmah. And on various race cars.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:44 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Well the exhaust leak might be the culprit. I have a Performer RPM intake, forgot if it has a crossover or not, or if it does, if it's blocked. Probably not. I have Hooker stainless sidemounts, new, and I did recently replace the sidetubes. Maybe one or both have a slight leak at the collecter connection.

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust crackle

Quick Reply: exhaust crackle