C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
View Poll Results: My opinion of re-stamped engines is that it is:
Fine with me, like a good boob job it enhances value and enjoyment
25.49%
out and out fraud
56.86%
OK with me if done well
15.69%
ffine with me, but I won't admit to it
1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

2009 re-stamp the engine thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 2009 re-stamp the engine thread

Would you re-stamp an engine or buy a car woith a re-stamped engine

Last edited by crw41; 01-27-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:11 AM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about "Ok with me only if restamp is documented/divulged"?

larry
Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

or how about "ok with me so long as restamp is divulged on the stamp pad itself" - perhaps with a big-*** "RSTMP" struck on there too.

While I agree with the spirit of divulging the fact of the restamp to the next buyer of the car, that little story does not seem to follow the car as it moves through successive owners . . .
Old 01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
ceastham1
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

i agree with jackster. The restamp "story" will tend to not follow the car from owner to owner.

It's a fake and a fraud - however you describe it. IMHO.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

What is stamped on that pad does not add or subtract to the dollar value I place on that engine/car. The correct parts and the mechanical condition of the engine are what matters to me.

A restamp would give me no personal satisfaction. An original stamp would but I would not pay a dime extra for it. I personally don't care whether anybody re-stamps one or not. That's their business.

If you think it's fraud, you obviously place some kind of queer obsession on 1 square inch of cast iron.

You wanted "opinions" didn't you?

Last edited by MikeM; 01-27-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 519 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

As I've owned my '64 convertible restomod for over 25 years; the fact I have no intention of ever selling it; and it's in the will that the car goes to my daughter; I have restamped my engine pad "EAT ME" for whomever wants to peer in to judge the authenticity of my car.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
What is stamped on that pad does not add or subtract to the dollar value I place on that engine/car. The correct parts and the mechanical condition of the engine are what matters to me.

A restamp would give me no personal satisfaction. An original stamp would but I would not pay a dime extra for it. I personally don't care whether anybody re-stamps one or not. That's their business.

If you think it's fraud, you obviously place some kind of queer obsession on 1 square inch of cast iron.

You wanted "opinions" didn't you?
I couldn't care less. I'd bet that most of the "numbers matching" cars out there are re-stamps anyway.

Jim
Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I don't give a flying F@#% if teh car has original air in teh tires.

i do not understand this obsession with

A) having every original part it came from the factory with

b) making it look like it has every original part it came from the factory with.

It is a car for cripes sakes, parts are parts, if it runs and drives, fine.

I can see wanting it to look original as it came from the factory just to say I did it, I am a very detail oriented restorer.

But no, I don't care about restamps one way or the other, as I wouldn't pay a dime extra for either an all parts original car or one that is made to look like an original car, vs one that looks period correct but no match on numbers anywhere

After all, the world needs more original 427/435 1967 Corvettes as GM didn't make enough 42 years ago (sarcasm mode)

Doug
Old 01-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave64
As I've owned my '64 convertible restomod for over 25 years; the fact I have no intention of ever selling it; and it's in the will that the car goes to my daughter; I have restamped my engine pad "EAT ME" for whomever wants to peer in to judge the authenticity of my car.

Love it!
It would be funny if you could post a pic!
brian
Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM
40ZR1
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why don't you have another opinion, "Who gives a sh#t!" That's the one I would vote for. Why would anyone be so vain they would buy/restore a car then let it sit as a "trophy Queen?" What's the enjoyment of looking at a bunch of trophies and plaques. My enjoyment is driving and yes, burning the tires off!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 519 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Allcoupedup
Love it!
It would be funny if you could post a pic!
brian
I'll look and see if I can find it. Actually, it's not stamped, but rather carved into the pad.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I'll look and see if I can find it. Actually, it's not stamped, but rather carved into the pad.
The last '63 engine I built, I started to stamp the pad like you only different words.

I didn't stamp it, just left it blank. That's just as good isn't it?

Last edited by MikeM; 01-27-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by redred65cpe
What about "Ok with me only if restamp is documented/divulged"?

larry
Old 01-27-2009, 02:30 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1snake
I couldn't care less. I'd bet that most of the "numbers matching" cars out there are re-stamps anyway.

Jim
you must care a little teeny tiny bit or else you would not be posting to this thread, right

And to Mike's post - while he might place any value on a correct or incorrect stamp pad (by that I mean one that bears the info that matches the VIN plate and engine configuration and assembly date) the general marketplace sure does, hence the requisiste elements of fraud are present when one knowingly presents a restamped engined car for sale while claiming or alluding to the fact that it is original.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:58 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by ceastham1
i agree with jackster. The restamp "story" will tend to not follow the car from owner to owner.

It's a fake and a fraud - however you describe it. IMHO.
If I buy a correct dated window, mirror or soft top is that fraud? If I paint my car the original color or recrome the bumpers do you assume that It will be a fake. How about repo items should we not ues them some one will be confused & think they are original Look up the definision of fake & restore. Two different things. Seems that the people that seem to care less about the stamping on the block are the ones squeling like a bunch of pigs. Why do you care? Come on fokes live & let live. If you don't want to play the factory correct game why do you care. Are you mad because the NCRS Corvettes bring more money & sell quicker than your car dose.
KEN
Old 01-27-2009, 04:06 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kenba
If I buy a correct dated window, mirror or soft top is that fraud?
no

If I paint my car the original color or recrome the bumpers do you assume that It will be a fake.
no

How about repo items should we not ues them some one will be confused & think they are original Look up the definision of fake & restore.
no, not fraud

You missed the one thing we are talking about here, perhaps intentionally - if you were to skillfully restamp that not-original engine with the VIN suffix and engine assembly info and date code, and the car is then sold at some point to a buyer who is not told about the restamped motor but instead is led to believe the engine is original, then yeah, I'd say at that point a fraud was committed if the then seller of the car knew the truth.

but that's just me
Old 01-27-2009, 04:41 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
And to Mike's post - while he might place any value on a correct or incorrect stamp pad (by that I mean one that bears the info that matches the VIN plate and engine configuration and assembly date) the general marketplace sure does, hence the requisiste elements of fraud are present when one knowingly presents a restamped engined car for sale while claiming or alluding to the fact that it is original.
This was going to be my point. You personally may not add one dime to your assigned "value" of a car based on correctness, but the fact is the marketplace does whether you like it or not. You can decide you value VW more than a Porsche but that has no bearing on what the industry standard continues to value.

Seems that the people that seem to care less about the stamping on the block are the ones squeling like a bunch of pigs. Why do you care? Come on fokes live & let live. If you don't want to play the factory correct game why do you care. Are you mad because the NCRS Corvettes bring more money & sell quicker than your car dose.
I have always found this to be true. The people with modified/non-original cars make these howling posts about how "who gives a sh#t" or "who gives a flying f#ck??"... seems like an overly defensive attitude and its always the case. Ive had custom cars in the past but never hesitated to acknowledge the original car is essentially always worth more, like any other antique. But these anti-NCRS, anti-numbers matching nasty responses just reflect something a little more than just not being interested in paying for the extra value.

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 re-stamp the engine thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:49 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

I have restamped my engine pad "EAT ME" for whomever wants to peer in to judge the authenticity of my car.
Now THAT'S a restamp I can go for.

As far as any other restamp I feel it is done with the intent to make someone else believe that a component of the automobile is an original piece when it isn't (unless it is the original component that lost the stamp due to machining of the surface during a rebuild or repair (and now Pandora has a second box) in an attempt to place a higher monetary value on the car due to "matching numbers".

Some will disagree and say that I am incorrect because "matching numbers" doesn't really increase value. If it didn't; no one would bother to post or declare it as such.

Like some others I do not put my faith into numbers on any part of any automobile and, therefore, I don't put monetary value on any single part of an automobile. If the car satisfies me with its appearance and mechanical function I place a value on it that way.

Rich
Old 01-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,720 Likes on 805 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

There were a number of Corvettes in my high school in the mid sixties. I remember owning a Motor Repair manual that had the various engine codes for both the Corvette and Chev passenger cars. I looked mine up and discovered mine was a base motor and a three speed. The code told me it was orginally a 245 hp powerglide car. I guess, at the time, I found that interesting.

For the most part, back then anyway, the guy who had the highest status on the totem pole was the one who had a 327 transplant and had ditched his 283, correct code or not.

A friend of mine had a '55 roadster with a bored 337 balanced, blue printed SB and he was the **** of the walk. From a resale point of view, the transplant 327 would bring more money than the correct 283. Fuel injection was tossed aside (they were looked upon as a novelty and an irritant) for a well tuned Holley and a Crane 513 cam. How times change.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 01-27-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:07 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ctjackster
you must care a little teeny tiny bit or else you would not be posting to this thread, right

You probably missed the part where I alluded to the fact some segments of the general poplulation have some sort of queer, unhealty, obsession with that little patch of cast iron. I'm not one of them.

I don't care whether somebody else regards it as fraudulent or not as like I said, I won't pay a dime extra. Even if you have the "original" block, you still don't have anything in my book unless it still has all it's original internals. That little often overlooked detail is what separates the men from the boys.

Some of you are overlooking what the original poster asked. One part of the question was, "would you buy a re-stamp"?

Well, I certainly wouldn't pass a car up because the block had been re-stamped. My answer(s) are based on this portion of the question for the reasons I gave.

As for Vettebuyer588? or whatever it is, I have an original engined mid-year. Original internals in the engine. Matter of fact, the whole car is disgustingly original except for the lacquer repaint in '74. But, it's not worth anymore to me because of the engine and I've owned it for 37 years now.

Don't forget now, the poll was asking for "opinions" and we all know how this "poll" and thread will turn out, don't we?

Last edited by MikeM; 01-27-2009 at 05:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 re-stamp the engine thread