C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

One more call to stamp pad experts to check out my 62 pad and vin tag

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Mike, I'd be interested to hear why you think there would be two different answers.
I would question the unusual pad surface near the head or unusually fresh appearance of the surface. Could be nothing or have a legitimate explanation but there again, as a famous dentist from MD advises, it's best not to judge pads from pictures on the internet.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:41 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 859 Likes on 630 Posts

Interesting thoughts. This pad was very rusty when I cleaned it the other day. I used some naval jelly and lacquer thinner to clean it and it was actually still wet up near the head when I took the picture. I never knew that you could fake the broach marks. Would it really be possible to resurface the pad with the head on and leave broach marks? I really have no history on the car earlier than about 1992, and don't have much interest in researching as the car will be sold. I do hate to sell this thing as I love the car, but an irresistable project has come along. I did have a couple of "experts" check the pad out in person when I bought it, and they both thought that it looked real.

Walt, thanks for the pic, at least I know the VIN looks original I think.

Good call on the heads as their casting date is Sept. 11, 61.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 02-15-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by knight37128
Here is the gang holder for the numbers:

Now think about it. As the numbers were used some of them got worn more than others.

Thus the "uneven depth" (as you put it) in the numbers.

Do you really think that GM would only use a number once then throw it away?
When the numbers get worn, the sharpness is what gets worn basically making the number appear larger. Compare the F R & E. Those differences don't appear to be caused by wear. The E is very sharp but very shallow. Typical of a re-surfaced pad.
Like stated before, it's hard to tell from a picture but it looks suspicious to me.

Jim
Old 02-15-2009, 12:50 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 859 Likes on 630 Posts

Well, thanks for the opinions everyone. I asked, and as with most things, I got all kind of different thoughts. It really is one of the reasons why I asked for "expert" opinions on this one, or others with pads to compare mine to. I guess even among much more experienced than I, there are differing opinions. Interestingly, in searching the forum and looking at the pads in the stamp pad quiz threads, all of those pads had depth differences in the number stampings. In addition, someone even said that he would be suspect if the depths were uniform. Good food for thought.

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver

I'd be skeptical if everything lined up perfectly and had consistant depth. 'Joe' the stamper did not have the NCRS looking over his shoulder. Plus, he didn't give a rat's **** what it looked like.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 02-15-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: One more call to stamp pad experts to check out my 62 pad and vin tag