C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 Master Cylinder on a 1966

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:40 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by JohnZ
A "correct" '67 master cylinder has the "deep" hole in the rear piston, but parts-store rebuilts may not, as the '67 Corvette application is the ONLY one where both manual and power brakes used the same identical master with the "deep" hole (normally only seen on manual cylinders, to keep the pedal pushrod from falling out).

Booster-to-master cylinder pushrods are all the same diameter - just different length.

No need to have the engine running to bleed power brakes - the engine should be shut off when bleeding.

Thanks John. I may have something wrong with the booster then. It could be that I am not getting enough vacuum to operate it. I can't seem to feel it kick in when I step on the brakes. Will check that before I re-install the 66 M/C.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lot of good stuff shared in this thread

For safeties sake this should be my next mod and get rid of the possibility of that single master cylinder ever failing in my 66.

There sure are some big differences between prices of some places versus that of others

Doug
Old 06-02-2017, 05:39 PM
bob-vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 master cylinder

When adding a power brake booster to a small block 1967 Vette with standard brakes, can I reuse the standard dual master cylinder or does it have to be replaced with a "power brake" dual master cylinder (if there is such a thing)? Also, does it need to have a longer rod?
Thanks, Bob
Old 06-02-2017, 05:42 PM
bob-vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 master cylinder

Hi JOHNZ:
When adding a power brake booster to a small block 1967 Vette with standard brakes, can I reuse the standard dual master cylinder or does it have to be replaced with a "power brake" dual master cylinder (if there is such a thing)? Also, does it need to have a longer rod?
Thanks for any help, Bob
Old 06-02-2017, 06:30 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by bob-vette
Hi JOHNZ:
Thanks for any help, Bob
I'm sure you're aware this is an 8 year old thread. But, go back and read John's post #6 in this thread...he answers your question there

Quick Reply: 1967 Master Cylinder on a 1966