C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1961 Carpet - To Dynamat/shield or not to Dynamat/shield

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
kluczenk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1961 Carpet - To Dynamat/shield or not to Dynamat/shield

Hi All-
I took my 61 out for a short drive and fill up this afternoon and got to thinking about my carpet install that I hope to start on since the weather is turning. I'm not sure if it is worth it to install a Dynamat (or similar) material under the carpet. The car is a hardtop only that I hope to add a convertible to in the near future. Even when the convertible goes on I don't anticipate it being up very much of the time.

So my question is whether or not I'll see any benefit in terms of noise reduction in the cabin with some sort of Dynamat in the car? Will the road and air noise outweigh any benefit I'd see from putting in a product on the floorboards? Heat has not been a problem yet but I haven't had the car out in the summertime yet. I don't plan on putting much of a sound system in the car so that is not an issue either.

What are people's thoughts on installing a barrier under the carpet? Worhtwhile or waste of money for a car that will spend most of its time cruising short distances with the top off?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I put a thin ceramic based product under my carpet but then I live in Orlando...its only a few bucks and an hour or even less to put Dynamat (or something similar) in the car before the carpet goes in and there is NO downside to it. I say do it regardless of how much you cruise or where you live.....for the noise reduction if nothing else.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-06-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:33 PM
semel1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking at using a ceramic based coating in my restomod.
Lizardskin is one the other is CoolCar
Old 03-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I also get a can of 3M Scotch Guard with ultraviolet protection and spray two light coats on all the carpet before I install it.....does wonders when your 'significant other' spills a Coke.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:48 PM
kluczenk
Instructor

Which product did you end up going with? Dynomat seems quite expensive and it looks like there are alternatives. Any reccommendations?

Originally Posted by fdreano
I put a thin ceramic based product under my carpet but then I live in Orlando...its only a few bucks and an hour or even less to put Dynamat (or something similar) in the car before the carpet goes in and there is NO downside to it. I say do it regardless of how much you cruise or where you live.....for the noise reduction if nothing else.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:32 PM
dropTopTx
Pro

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by kluczenk
Which product did you end up going with? Dynomat seems quite expensive and it looks like there are alternatives. Any reccommendations?

I bought a role of thin foil backed insulation at Home Depot and put it under my carpet. There is a significant difference in terms of both heat and sound. Tranny tunnel used to have a lot of heat and dont notice it all now. From a sound perspective it just sounds a bit more solid. I rarely have the top up either. I dont know that it would be worth the Dynmat price but it was definitely worth the few bucks at HD.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Go with the Home Depot stuff - I paid $114 for a kit from Eckler's that is very high tech material but it was over-priced and didn't cover everything... A lot of people cover the fiberglass behind the seats as well...
Old 03-07-2009, 09:41 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I'll go against the others advice. There is no heat problem in C1's as the mufflers are in the rear (the source of most of the heat) and if you always have the top down, if there is a noise reduction, you'll never notice it.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:50 PM
john5801
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use a hush-mat. A foil laminate top on fiber insulation material. it keeps the transmission tunnel heat way down and deaded's the sound alot.
there was some research done on several types of insulation mats by an NCRS member recently. you might want to check it out on their web site. a short version of products = hush mat was # 1, energy Q radiant was #2, kool-mat #3, and CC ceramic heat barrier was #4. heat reduction was --hush mat reduced it by 46-56 % in the cabin ..others were good but, did'nt reduce heat as well.
hopes this help's.
john
Old 03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
I'll go against the others advice. There is no heat problem in C1's as the mufflers are in the rear (the source of most of the heat) and if you always have the top down, if there is a noise reduction, you'll never notice it.
If the "source of most of the heat" was from the mufflers, what would explain the extraordinary heat found in a C3 cabin, where the mufflers are just as far away to the rear as in a C1?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:14 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 1snake
I'll go against the others advice. There is no heat problem in C1's as the mufflers are in the rear (the source of most of the heat)
i disagree, the mufflers are in very close proximity to the gas tank compartment (which is open on the bottom) and are a very large source of cabin heat; heat flows out from around the seats

and oval mufflers just exacerbate the problem due to their larger surface area.
Bill
Old 03-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kluczenk

I used an alternative to Dynamat and it seems to work well for me. It is Fatmat and is about the same as dynamat as far as I know. It is a sticky rubber like material (butyl ?) with foil on top. It is considerably cheaper. I put it in my 63 coupe and now I can easily listen to my radio and carry on a conversation. I used to have to talk pretty loud. I have magnaflows on and they get pretty loud.

If you have wind noise, you will still have wind noise. I never realized I had wind noise until I put in Fatmat. I here it now but it is still much better than in the past.

You can google fatmat and they sell it over the internet. I think I used two rolls and I had none left. Actually, I could have put a little more in the doors if I had had it. I thought I was being very thrifty with it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1961 Carpet - To Dynamat/shield or not to Dynamat/shield

Quick Reply: 1961 Carpet - To Dynamat/shield or not to Dynamat/shield