C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need help with decoding options on 66 Conv.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:14 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need help with decoding options on 66 Conv.

Can I call the museum/GM/Somebody for help in getting the options of what my dads cars came with? All I have is the vin# on the one cause the previous owner must have popped off the Body Identification plate. I am in the process of tracking him down thru our Corvette Club as he is now in Florida.

I know it was built March 1966 by the Vin# and it was a St. louis car but thats about it. It does have a Saddle interior dash and I think it may have been Nassau Blue as the underside of the decklid matches that color. How do you know what the original motor was? Options like knock offs,hub caps,STD or leather, ETC and all that stuff?

I was able to get some history on his other 66 conv race car that has been sitting in his heated garage for 19 years and is solid. I want to get that car back on the road so my dad can enjoy it again before his time is up. That one did have all the body/vin plates so I was able to see it was built in Sept 65 in St. Louis too. Original Mossport Green
(982AA). Has original hardtop and conv. top frame and big block hood. I wood also like to decode this thing too with the other options. Gas tank has been swapped years ago on both cars and motors are currently small block 327/300 HP.

The previous owners had raced them both back in the 70's-80's with a 427 in one but doubt that was an original. I'm not that lucky.

If anybody can help me or tell where to go It would really help. My father had cancer but is clear right now so I would like to give him the pleasure of cruising his old cars again and not letting them rott and ruin the history of the greatest american sportscar.

You can PM or email me with any info.

Aaron
rasrboy@hotmail.com
Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

It's a little hard to tell, you have 2 cars you are trying to find out about?

There are no records of what options those cars had. All you can do is look for clues based on what you find on the car. What redline does the tach have, do you believe the tach is original to the car?

What throttle brackets does it have? Sometimes those can limit the car's possible options to a few.

Etc. etc.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Tempus_Fugit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the body will tell you is colors and build date. There is no way to get documentation on how the car was originally. You will have to look for clues.

A good place to start is with the tach. If it it 6500 redline it would have come originally with a high performance motor. A low perf motor would have a 5500 rpm redline.

The pad on the block is potentially the single most important clue you will have. It is on the passenger side top of the block just forward of the front of the cylinder head and will hopefully have two number stamped into it, one should have the partial VIN #, and the other number should have letters and numbers. Check this out and post a picture, or the numbers.

Let's start there, as far as option go, it is very difficult, sometimes impossible to tell the way a car was originally configured. Mopars, Mustangs, Pontiacs, even other Chev's have resources for this stuff. For the most part, Corvettes do not.

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Can I call the museum/GM/Somebody for help in getting the options of what my dads cars came with? All I have is the vin# on the one cause the previous owner must have popped off the Body Identification plate. I am in the process of tracking him down thru our Corvette Club as he is now in Florida.

I know it was built March 1966 by the Vin# and it was a St. louis car but thats about it. It does have a Saddle interior dash and I think it may have been Nassau Blue as the underside of the decklid matches that color. How do you know what the original motor was? Options like knock offs,hub caps,STD or leather, ETC and all that stuff?

I was able to get some history on his other 66 conv race car that has been sitting in his heated garage for 19 years and is solid. I want to get that car back on the road so my dad can enjoy it again before his time is up. That one did have all the body/vin plates so I was able to see it was built in Sept 65 in St. Louis too. Original Mossport Green
(982AA). Has original hardtop and conv. top frame and big block hood. I wood also like to decode this thing too with the other options. Gas tank has been swapped years ago on both cars and motors are currently small block 327/300 HP.

The previous owners had raced them both back in the 70's-80's with a 427 in one but doubt that was an original. I'm not that lucky.

If anybody can help me or tell where to go It would really help. My father had cancer but is clear right now so I would like to give him the pleasure of cruising his old cars again and not letting them rott and ruin the history of the greatest american sportscar.

Aaron
rasrboy@hotmail.com
Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

trim tag might give up some additional clues as to certain options being present or excluded
Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
trim tag might give up some additional clues as to certain options being present or excluded
That's an excellent point, for the second car.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:13 AM
mquine861
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why did'nt you ask me!!!!!

Aaron, as your brother,whose insight and knowledge on restoration and numbers on these cars is much more than you are obviously NOT aware of but should be, I am extremely dissapointed that you did not ask for my insight. The maroon 66 was I believe to be an original small block car even though it sports a big block hood. The caps for the rear half shafts are for a small block. The rear end is not original for the car, dad traded Tom Nickol years back a 4:11 for his 3:70. The tach on this car says that it should be a 300 HP,but the car came with an extra dash and I do not remember what the redline was on the tach,or if the tach had anything to do with the car. As for the blue car, I believe it to be an original big block. Hollidays raced it in A class from the early 70's and it also has the rear sway bar as most big blocks did then. I have never checked the numbers on the rear or tranny but would presume they are not original (i could very well be wrong). I have the book if you would like to know. I think it would be great to put one of these cars if not both back on the street for dad. The maroon car took a good hit at some point in it's life and has some frame damage that is still evident, although it was repaired. Also the front 1/2 of the body has been wrecked and has signs of repair. The blue car is I believe a no hit car. Frame appears to be straight but I never looked at the glass to close. I'm sure Ruman would Know. If I lived a whole lot closer I would have already started restoring one of these cars for Dad. If you have any questions feel free to call or email. I will be glad to help. I had a great birthday and appreciated your best wishes. Your brother Mike

Last edited by mquine861; 03-29-2009 at 02:15 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mquine861
Aaron, as your brother,whose insight and knowledge on restoration and numbers on these cars is much more than you are obviously NOT aware of but should be, I am extremely dissapointed that you did not ask for my insight. The maroon 66 was I believe to be an original small block car even though it sports a big block hood. The caps for the rear half shafts are for a small block. The rear end is not original for the car, dad traded Tom Nickol years back a 4:11 for his 3:70. The tach on this car says that it should be a 300 HP,but the car came with an extra dash and I do not remember what the redline was on the tach,or if the tach had anything to do with the car. As for the blue car, I believe it to be an original big block. Hollidays raced it in A class from the early 70's and it also has the rear sway bar as most big blocks did then. I have never checked the numbers on the rear or tranny but would presume they are not original (i could very well be wrong). I have the book if you would like to know. I think it would be great to put one of these cars if not both back on the street for dad. The maroon car took a good hit at some point in it's life and has some frame damage that is still evident, although it was repaired. Also the front 1/2 of the body has been wrecked and has signs of repair. The blue car is I believe a no hit car. Frame appears to be straight but I never looked at the glass to close. I'm sure Ruman would Know. If I lived a whole lot closer I would have already started restoring one of these cars for Dad. If you have any questions feel free to call or email. I will be glad to help. I had a great birthday and appreciated your best wishes. Your brother Mike
Your knowledge is not as good as you think it is BROTHER. I spoke with the Holiday's last week and it is NOT an original BB car. It had a 327-350 in it in 1970 when they bought it from the original owner. I was Milano Maroon with Saddle interior and a white top. They installed flares,roll bar,etc and painted it blue and threw in a 427BB. They ran it for years and Sue Holiday blew it up in the mid 80's at IRP. He then put in a few SB's and ran them till it blew up in the late 80's. Pulled that out and that is when dad bought it minus the motor around 1989 or so. See, you should not assume that just because it had a BB and BB parts on it, would it be original. Your little black book could not have gotten that info I just got!

Yes the other car took a hit at Painesville speedway in the mid 80's and the front end was glassed over by Stafford and repaired half A$$. It will get a new front clip with working headlights and everthing will be done right including checking the frame. It will get painted the original Mossport Green and be a nice cruiser car.

BTW, You could speak a little more professional here on the open forum
as well as being respectfull!

Aaron Quine
Old 03-30-2009, 11:59 AM
vettelawyer67
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aaron
rasrboy@hotmail.com
as others her have said there is nothing from GM that will help.You do have one of the most knowledgeable guys around about these cars right there in your back yard in member Provette67 aka Pancho Thompson he maybe able to help you with his thoughts
Old 03-30-2009, 12:04 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettelawyer67
as others her have said there is nothing from GM that will help.You do have one of the most knowledgeable guys around about these cars right there in your back yard in member Provette67 aka Pancho Thompson he maybe able to help you with his thoughts
Pancho is a friend and was a member of our club. He is a great source for more info when I tear into it.

He really knows his stuff and he was on my list of people to call. Thanks for the info everyone.

Aaron
Old 03-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Tempus_Fugit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your knowledge is not as good as you think it is BROTHER. I spoke with the Holiday's last week and it is NOT an original BB car. It had a 327-350 in it in 1970 when they bought it from the original owner. I was Milano Maroon with Saddle interior and a white top. They installed flares,roll bar,etc and painted it blue and threw in a 427BB. They ran it for years and Sue Holiday blew it up in the mid 80's at IRP. He then put in a few SB's and ran them till it blew up in the late 80's. Pulled that out and that is when dad bought it minus the motor around 1989 or so. See, you should not assume that just because it had a BB and BB parts on it, would it be original. Your little black book could not have gotten that info I just got!

Yes the other car took a hit at Painesville speedway in the mid 80's and the front end was glassed over by Stafford and repaired half A$$. It will get a new front clip with working headlights and everthing will be done right including checking the frame. It will get painted the original Mossport Green and be a nice cruiser car.

BTW, You could speak a little more professional here on the open forum
as well as being respectfull!

Aaron Quine
Old 03-30-2009, 12:52 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tempus_Fugit
oh hell yeah!

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with decoding options on 66 Conv.

Quick Reply: Need help with decoding options on 66 Conv.