C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'66 Gauge cluster re-install: Capacitor connections

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:22 PM
66L36Coupe
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default '66 Gauge cluster re-install: Capacitor connections

I'm re-installing a refurbed dash cluster (Clocks by Roger) in my '66. When I took it out, a couple wires from capacitors were not connected. They have spade-type connectors that look to fit inside another connection. I've attached photos.

1) This capacitor has a connector on each end and is attached to the steering column support.

2) This smaller capacitor affixes to the back of the left hand side of the cluster.

3) Finally, there is a short black wire that looks like it was cut, or broken that leads off of a brown wire with a connector. Any idea where this connects?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-28-2009, 07:10 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 66L36Coupe
I'm re-installing a refurbed dash cluster (Clocks by Roger) in my '66. When I took it out, a couple wires from capacitors were not connected. They have spade-type connectors that look to fit inside another connection. I've attached photos.

1) This capacitor has a connector on each end and is attached to the steering column support.
Each wire goes inside one of the 2 brake light switch female connectors. Just put the metal strip on the end of one of the 2 capacitor wires, inside the female connector, and then install the female connector.

2) This smaller capacitor affixes to the back of the left hand side of the cluster.
The terminal goes into one of the 2 female terminals for the Amp gauge.

3) Finally, there is a short black wire that looks like it was cut, or broken that leads off of a brown wire with a connector. Any idea where this connects?
A capacitor that mounts under the oil gauge normally connects there. Here's a picture of mine, although this photos also shows a 2 Amp in-line fuse in that I've added.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 03-28-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: '66 Gauge cluster re-install: Capacitor connections