C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hardtop storeage

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:55 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hardtop storeage

Has anyone ever used one of those hardtop storeage carts that most of the vendors advertise?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I use one, I find it pretty handy myself. It's one like they advertise, but I built it myself. I used some aluminum flat stock, works well and a lot cheaper than buying a prebuilt one.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:50 PM
jmschmit
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Hardtop storage

I have a stand that I use but I have found that if I don't put a soft piece of flece between the top and the up rights it leaves marks on the top. I also have a hoist that I only used a few times because it pulls on the weather striping and deforms it. Hope this helps....Bill 58
Old 03-29-2009, 06:26 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies
Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Jalopy31
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought one from Paragon and like it pretty well. It came with a cover for the top too.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jalopy31
I bought one from Paragon and like it pretty well. It came with a cover for the top too.
My wife sewed up a cover for mine, but it's not shown in the photo.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Bought one from Eckler's many years ago. Very nice tubular construction.....powder coated and padded. Added a bit of additional padding just to be sure, and bought a hardtop cover from California Car Covers.

Everything is nicely stored in a large closet in the house. Wife is not overly happy about this arrangement. Never installed hardtop in over 15 years. Drive the car on nice days, and don't need a cover. Have the soft top in case of rain.

Larry
Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I store mine in a 2x4 cradle hung from the rafters in the garage. I have a pickup cap in the cradle the Corvette top stores inside of the cap in the same framework. I can walk under it and I don't loose any floor space.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Mine is on the car as we speak, but it'll be coming off very shortly! Some years I go without ever putting it on, some winters I run it through the worst months of Dec-Feb. Depends on how I feel . . . .

Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Jalopy31
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=Sky65;1569491962]I store mine in a 2x4 cradle hung from the rafters in the garage. I can walk under it and I don't loose any floor space.[QUOTE]

When I located my top (one of the prior owners had kept it when he sold the car back in the early 80's) this is how it was stored:

Low-tech, but it worked for him. It did take awhile to get the bird poop off the headliner though - a problem most people probably don't have to deal with...
Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was planning on buying one of the stands sold by Corvette Central. Before I got that far I went to the Hard Top Shop in PA. to pick up a new rear window. While there I noticed that all of the tops that they had were stored on the front bow, I asked why. They said that storing the top on the rear window bow will eventually distort the bow. They said that the best way is to store the top the same way that it rests on the car, if this is not an option then on the front bow only.
Sounds like a lot of you have stored on the rear and not had a problem.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I purchased the stand from corvette central. Nice stand. Well padded. I'm very happy with the quality.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by macs65
I was planning on buying one of the stands sold by Corvette Central. Before I got that far I went to the Hard Top Shop in PA. to pick up a new rear window. While there I noticed that all of the tops that they had were stored on the front bow, I asked why. They said that storing the top on the rear window bow will eventually distort the bow. They said that the best way is to store the top the same way that it rests on the car, if this is not an option then on the front bow only.
Sounds like a lot of you have stored on the rear and not had a problem.
If it does distort the bow, it must take more than 25 years . . .

Old 03-30-2009, 08:41 AM
ren
Burning Brakes

I ordered one from Ecklers last night. Their version seems different than the others, plus it was cheaper. Regarding the previous post, I'm of the opinion that the top tends to flex or change shape regardless of how you store it. When I tried to mount the one that I bought on Sat. , It was about 3/4 of an inch too wide for the brackets. It only took some gentle pressure to make it fit. I have no idea how long or in what manner this top was stored.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Roger Waring
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just store mine in the corner of my garage. I have two heavy comforters, One is folded into thirds for the front part of the top to rest on the floor. I lean the top back against the wall with the other comforter as padding as well as dust protection. Is this a acceptable way to store the top? It is not fancy, but seems well protected from everything except possible stress?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Waring
I just store mine in the corner of my garage. I have two heavy comforters, One is folded into thirds for the front part of the top to rest on the floor. I lean the top back against the wall with the other comforter as padding as well as dust protection. Is this a acceptable way to store the top? It is not fancy, but seems well protected from everything except possible stress?

I store mine front bow down leaning with the inside to the wall with a proper fitted cover from C/C and a comforter over the whole thing. I also cover the bottom and top edge with a couple of those foam things used to keep pipes warm.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:39 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Roger Waring
I do the same with my '61 hardtop. Plenty of padding on the floor to cushion the bow end. Inside to the wall. Then a heavy cloth cover over the whole hardtop. Put it in a corner where it won't get kicked or bumped.

Get notified of new replies

To Hardtop storeage

Quick Reply: Hardtop storeage