C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What precautions do you take?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Brumbach
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default What precautions do you take?

When are where do you drive your vette? Are you concerned about the other driver?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Damn right I'm concerned about the other driver!

I have a lot of seat time on motorcycles. You learn quickly to pay attention, always scanning for trouble, using your mirrors and looking for an escape route. Pretend you are invisible. I drive the Vette the same way. There is not a whole lot more protection than the bike.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Brucets11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moved from Ohio to So Cal last year. When I was in Ohio it was all country roads with almost no traffic. Didn't think about it much. Here in Orange County the traffic is amazing. Now it's on my mind.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brucets11
Moved from Ohio to So Cal last year. When I was in Ohio it was all country roads with almost no traffic. Didn't think about it much. Here in Orange County the traffic is amazing. Now it's on my mind.
Here in New Jersey, the traffic has always been bad. Most of the time, I take my car out during the work week. I drive more carefully with the corvette than my truck.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:29 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brumbach
When are where do you drive your vette? Are you concerned about the other driver?
i always get more defensive when in my 66 as opposed to regular driver car. i SLOW DOWN rather than get aggressive especially in heavy traffic. .....what i hate are the pesky mustangs that climb on my azz then back off and try to show me some acceleration in the rear view , and then hit the brakes before they slam into me, also the dodge pick ups that follow too close for comfort, sometimes tailgating within a foot or so on the freeway, no sense trying to out run them as they will just come back anyway let's face it they know you won't give them a "brake check" the speed in ohio is usually 65 on the freeways and i hold at 72-75 and try to keep a clear lane in front whenever possible. two years ago while cruizin with a passenger , a dodge hemi pickup was just off my rear bumper for a mile or so and if i sped up he would do the same, slow down , he was right there. my passenger, an off duty cop turned around and flashed his badge and pointed to the berm while holding his cop mobile radio in one hand. that was so cool as we pulled the chicken s@it over and my friend gave him the tongue lashing of his life!....the red neck with his dad off the side of the road were told that i could file charges for assault with a deadly weapon and that the cop was a witness and also a potential plaintiff ,man were they concerned and most apologetic......i cruise back roads ,freeways and city streets, and i am always nervous around any other cars...you have to drive for EVERYONE around you and be overly cautious.......
Old 03-29-2009, 04:42 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you drive you corvette any different then any other car? I dont want to smash up anything I'm in!!!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by al329
Why would you drive you corvette any different then any other car? I dont want to smash up anything I'm in!!!!!
Errr.....no collapsing steering column, crush zones, airbags, ABS brakes, shoulder harnesses, On Star and the new paint job is worth 1/2 of the total cost of my Durango....

I haven't had anybody tailgate me trying to goose me into a speed display...maybe that happens more in a C2. I did have a pedestrian almost run in front of the car while chasing me while I was pulling out from a stoplight yelling, "What year vette is that ?". Screwball for sure.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:55 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by al329
As long as you have good insurance, who cares. Driving around paranoid not only is more dangerous, it takes the fun out of the drive.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:11 PM
zim64
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive it like I ride my motorcycle....I watch out for everything!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:21 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I drive with my headlights on when I'm in traffic and if someone tailgates me I slow down to make them frustrated and pass me.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zim64
I drive it like I ride my motorcycle....I watch out for everything!

IMO that sums it up well.

I prefer country roads no matter whether they are two lanes or intestates. However the best are long sweeping ramps or freeway interchanges with no traffic beside you.

Doug
Old 03-29-2009, 05:29 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I almost got hit today in my 64'. Lady comes out of a WalMart parking lot, I saw her and assumed she had her head up her azz so I pulled over into the right lane and sure enough she would have t-boned me. I had my 14 year old daughter with me and she could not believe it. Lucky for the lady I had my daughter with me... Funny thing is that she did not have a phone in her ear, nor was she putting on make-up, nor yelling at kids....no excuse just a crap for brain driver!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:35 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

I watch a lot when I drive by nature but maybe even more so in the vette. There are a lot of good back roads up here and I always drive back roads if I can. Just makes a better trip even though it takes a little longer.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:03 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

If everyone drove like we were driving our Corvette/s, there would be far less accidents overall. The key as so many have mentioned is defensive driving. Sad part, we are supposed to drive like that all the time. Well, most of the time cause you do have to it every once in awhile. Meaning you have to gas/floor it every once in awhile.

Last edited by 1-2-b-67L89; 03-29-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:09 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I drive a 84 and Im concerned. I cant imagine taking a C1 or C2 out. Or worst yet parking it at a Mall like I hear some have done.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:19 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My daughter-in-law got hit by a car in a parking lot last Friday. The woman was talking on her phone and made the turn to tight and knocked her down and ran over her. Ended up chipping a bone on the outside of her ankle.

There are far too many people that feel invincible in their vehicles and just don't pay attention. I have said for years that they should have as part of getting your license and every 5 years after, a simple exercise. They give you a full harness and a helmet and then you sit in a seat that is excelllerated to 20 mph and then comes to a dead stop like if you had hit a tree. If you had to do this, it would make people much more afraid to hit things with their cars.

I learned this when I was 14 years old and had a neighbor tow me up a hill in the woods with his Jeep, I was in a '55 Buick. It didn't run, so I let it coast down the hill and thought it would be cool to hit a tree. I was going less than 20 mph and when I hit the tree, it knocked me out on the steering wheel. (I know... I was a stupid kid)
Old 03-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by KC John
My daughter-in-law got hit by a car in a parking lot last Friday. The woman was talking on her phone and made the turn to tight and knocked her down and ran over her. Ended up chipping a bone on the outside of her ankle.

There are far too many people that feel invincible in their vehicles and just don't pay attention. I have said for years that they should have as part of getting your license and every 5 years after, a simple exercise. They give you a full harness and a helmet and then you sit in a seat that is excelllerated to 20 mph and then comes to a dead stop like if you had hit a tree. If you had to do this, it would make people much more afraid to hit things with their cars.

I learned this when I was 14 years old and had a neighbor tow me up a hill in the woods with his Jeep, I was in a '55 Buick. It didn't run, so I let it coast down the hill and thought it would be cool to hit a tree. I was going less than 20 mph and when I hit the tree, it knocked me out on the steering wheel. (I know... I was a stupid kid)
My first car was a '55 Buick....if you hit THAT steering wheel you're lucky to be alive...

Anyway I think cell phones should be made inoperative in a moving vehicle except for the numbers '9-1-1'...

I can tell you that my low slung C1 is all but invisible if I tag along beside a semi tractor-trailer in its blind spot....or even beside one of those jacked up 'monster trucks' the kids drive now. So of course I take extra precautions to avoid these situations. I don't worry nearly as much in my '06 Durango...

Get notified of new replies

To What precautions do you take?

Old 03-29-2009, 07:23 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I drive like I Fly,that is a plane. 9 12 3. Looking all directions. I agree cell phones should not be used while driving.

And check 6 when the Mustang is fading away...
Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 64 327/365
I almost got hit today in my 64'. Lady comes out of a WalMart parking lot, I saw her and assumed she had her head up her azz so I pulled over into the right lane and sure enough she would have t-boned me. I had my 14 year old daughter with me and she could not believe it. Lucky for the lady I had my daughter with me... Funny thing is that she did not have a phone in her ear, nor was she putting on make-up, nor yelling at kids....no excuse just a crap for brain driver!
Man, WalMarts and malls are terrible. How many of you have seen this...
Someone driving slower than the rest of the traffic near a mall. (Red Flag!) Sees that the store they are looking for is just up ahead on the right, but they are in the left lane. On comes the turn signal and they will slow to a stop waiting for an opening to cross two lanes to get there.

Why oh why can't they do that when I'm driving my old POS van that I'm dying to get rid of
Old 03-29-2009, 08:05 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

i don't worry in the vette. in the 66 skylark i worry. there are no body
panels made today for the skylark. i would have to find a old one to get
the car fixed. with the vette you can find new panels. jim

Quick Reply: What precautions do you take?