C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rear Glass Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Fast66vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Glass Install

I was wondering where would you lay the spacers on the rear glass and what kind of sealent would you use? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

There are two types of spacers used as I recall, and their locations are given in the AIM for your year of car. Probably the same from 64-67.

As for the caulk, I seem to remember JohnZ and others recommending today's butyl caulk used on present day windshields, but I can't say for certain. A search on the forum MAY turn up previous posts on this subject, or perhaps someone will chime in shortly!!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:32 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
There are two types of spacers used as I recall, and their locations are given in the AIM for your year of car. Probably the same from 64-67.

As for the caulk, I seem to remember JohnZ and others recommending today's butyl caulk used on present day windshields, but I can't say for certain. A search on the forum MAY turn up previous posts on this subject, or perhaps someone will chime in shortly!!

CR Laurence sells to alot of windshield people.Google there
name to see what they have.Not sure if I speeled it correctly...

Mark
Old 03-29-2009, 10:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The rubber spacer usage/locations (there are two of them) are also shown in the "Corvette Body" section of the Chassis Service Manual. The factory pumpable adhesive bead was Thiokol, later replaced by the same urethane pumpable adhesive used today. Both the body opening flange and the glass require silane primer before applying the adhesive (two different primers - one for the body, and one for the glass), as urethane won't bond properly to topcoat paint or clean glass.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I pulled and re-installed my rear window back in '76 and used a coil of what I believe was butyl rubber that I seem to remember came from the GM parts counter. It looked pretty much like what came out too.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 AM
uncle427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
I pulled and re-installed my rear window back in '76 and used a coil of what I believe was butyl rubber that I seem to remember came from the GM parts counter. It looked pretty much like what came out too.
Yep,
That what was used and still readily available from the right source, you need to be cautious here as two different sizes are being offered currently, one being to big in diameter that will not allow the window to "settle" down far enough and make installing the trim very difficult. PM me and I will describe the correct and incorrect suppliers I know of. Its inexpensive and there are no primers or other special prep products required for its use. Just clean and dry, dust free.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:45 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
That's butyl tape, which comes in a couple of different thicknesses, used by some glass shops as a less expensive method; GM never used it.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:44 PM
6coupe4
Instructor

I bought the butyl and spacers from one of the corvette parts suppliers and when I was about to install the glass, I realized I needed the primer. I called 3M (the manufacturer of the butyl) and all of the other suppliers that I know and NO ONE had the primer. I finally called a local glass shop and they came to my house and installed the glass with the newer type of chaulk used on todays windshields. It only cost me $75.

Craig
Old 03-30-2009, 05:53 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by JohnZ
That's butyl tape, which comes in a couple of different thicknesses, used by some glass shops as a less expensive method; GM never used it.
And as Bill Murray would say, 'Thats a fact Jack'.

For the do-it-yourself glaziers, the butyl does not meet MVSS 212 and 216. And like JohnZ has already said, there is a seperate urethane primer for the car and some for the glass. Urethane will not bond to butyl primer, you have to use butyl primer in order for butyl to stick. Essex makes the best urethane(FWIW), the 3M urethane has to much air in it even after packing and paddeling.

So guys, dont shortcut your car let alone a person's life by using butyl tape where urethane should take its place.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Glass Install

Quick Reply: Rear Glass Install