C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My '67 Vert Budget Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:48 AM
kimo1965
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
MAN DONT GO BY WHAT JIM IS TELLING YOU, HE HAS NEVER BEEN IN A VETTE BEFOR. JIM HOW IS THE WHITE CAR COMING ALONG. MAN LOVE LITTLE BLUE.IF EVER DOWN THIS WAY CALL, ARE IF YOU GO TO THE CAR SHOW IN KY ON THE LAST SAT OF EVER MONTH CALL ME.
Richard, the white car is in a million pieces, basically in labeled storage containers in the garage right now....sort of discouraging at the moment, but I will really get moving on it this winter. Send me a regular email address and I will send you some pics of ole blue when it was being painted! Blake...post some more pics!! We have all been watching your project! Looks great so far!! Jim
Old 08-24-2009, 08:59 AM
rbwamsley
Instructor

We got the front end suspension all finished up and have moved on to the rear. We currently have the entire rear suspension and drivetrain pulled out. Its a slow process of cleaning all the parts and painting them, but it will be worth it in the end. I don't have any pics of the cleaning and painting process, but here are some with the suspension back on the ground.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:03 AM
rbwamsley
Instructor

We were looking at the body mounts this weekend and the rubber bushings look pretty bad. How hard is it to replace these without removing the body from the frame? Is it as easy as removing the bolt sliding out the old bushing and sliding the new one in?

Thanks,
Blake
Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Heater A/C Box Rebuild

Did you buy the kits from Doc Rebuild? They are superb, and come with an excellent installation diagram.

If you need any of those midget hex head sheet metal screws, shoot me a PM. I've got a bunch left over. You won't find these at ACE hardware.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rbwamsley
I just did some checking and Letric Limited sells the engine harness kit. Hopefully I can talk my Dad into this kit since we are switching to HEI ignition and current wiring is not in that good of shape. Thanks.
probably one of the best things you can do.
I used LL engine compartment harness on my restoration. they are dead nuts correct, easy to install and everything worked fine.

good luck
Old 08-25-2009, 10:24 AM
rbwamsley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
Did you buy the kits from Doc Rebuild? They are superb, and come with an excellent installation diagram.

If you need any of those midget hex head sheet metal screws, shoot me a PM. I've got a bunch left over. You won't find these at ACE hardware.
We did buy the Doc Rebuild kit, however we decided to go with the full Vintage Air setup, so we will not be using it.

Also, now this is definitely not a budget rebuild anymore. My Dad just informed me that he thought about and did not think he would be happy with a avg. 350 in it, so he is having a 427 built with 500 - 525hp. Hello rat motor!!!

Blake
Old 08-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbwamsley
..In our current financial situation we cannot afford the kind of rebuild that we want (full suspension, big block, 5-speed, a full re-paint, etc.) but we want to get the car back on the road, so we are working with what we have..

..Also, now this is definitely not a budget rebuild anymore. My Dad just informed me that he thought about and did not think he would be happy with a avg. 350 in it, so he is having a 427 built with 500 - 525hp. Hello rat motor!!!..
..and this my dear fellow is called "project creep", and officially the time dad begins hiding the receipts from mom
Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 AM
rbwamsley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Viking427
..and this my dear fellow is called "project creep", and officially the time dad begins hiding the receipts from mom
I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement.

I also, found out that it was not that he could not afford to do what he wanted, it was just that at first he did not want to spend that much money on it.

I think he is surprised that he is enjoying doing the rebuild as much as he is. Most of the car moding we have done over the past 10 years has been on my toys (93 Cobra & 03 Cobra), which is quiet a difference experience than working on and old car (less electronics and tons more room). I can now say for sure that I definitely enjoy working on older cars more.

Blake

Last edited by rbwamsley; 08-25-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:19 PM
1Sweet66
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great project you got going there!

Working side by side with your dad is something you'll always remember and doing it on a Corvette makes it all that much better.

I'm with everyone else. Keep those pictures coming! Can't wait to see that big block slide into thr engine bay. Keep up the great work, keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask questions along the way. Also make sure that you keep copies of pics documenting all the hard work you have done. People love seeing that at car shows. Tells the story of all your hard work.

It will not be that long off to when you two start taking trophys home with that ride!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:05 AM
Johnny 66
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Yes, the battery is on the driver's side.
I think batteries for small block coupes with Air Conditioning are also on the driver's side.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:15 PM
rbwamsley
Instructor

We finally have another.

Rear done, minus hooking up the brake lines. Which way does the sway bar go? Is it supposed to bend up and hug the body or down away from it?

The Rat Moter You can see the little mouse behind it

Test fit of the wheels
17x7 & 17x8

My buddy's Camaro that let me try his wheels.

That is all for now, hopefully we will be dropping the new motor in sometime in November.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:39 PM
shft22
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I love it, another one that got caught with the "while I'm out it syndrome". I started the same way, problem with the engine, ended with
New Engine, radiator, transmission, rear end, complete suspension and brakes rebuild, and a bunch more.......One thing is had lots of fun doing it and the car is much better and reliable now...

One thing you may want to consider is a Dewitt radiator with electric fans, keeping that motor cool is not going to be an easy task.....

Last edited by shft22; 10-18-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:10 PM
shemp
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that car is going to be sweet, but can I ask why you are using it
as a storage counter. That scares me looking at it.

Shemp
Old 10-18-2009, 08:07 PM
rbwamsley
Instructor

Originally Posted by shft22
One thing you may want to consider is a Dewitt radiator with electric fans, keeping that motor cool is not going to be an easy task.....
We have been talking about it. As you may have read before, the car is originally a big block car, so the radiator is for a big block. Also, the radiator is fairly easy to change, so it is something that we change later on if needed.

Originally Posted by shemp
Man that car is going to be sweet, but can I ask why you are using it
as a storage counter. That scares me looking at it.

Shemp
The paint is not in good condition at all. My Dad is a Snap-on Tool dealer and about 25 years ago he did a tool trade for a paint job. Anyways the guy did a half @ssed job, and the paint is bubbling around the stinger and the there are cracks where the fender flares were created. Oh yeah, also we took it to Home Depot one time and when we came back outside there was a lumber cart in the side of it. Not to say we dont care about it, but a couple of boxes on the car is not going to hurt anything.

A paint job will be coming once we enjoy the car for a little bit after getting the motor put back in.

Blake
Old 10-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hello

Looks good its coming along nicely..I neeed to find time to do that too....Hmmm
Old 10-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No offense meant, but your dad kinda' resembles Jerry Springer in a couple of those shots. Good luck with the project.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:19 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

Blake,

Thanks for the updates, keep them comming........Dewitts IS Having a sale right now.

Get notified of new replies

To My '67 Vert Budget Rebuild

Old 10-19-2009, 10:10 AM
rbwamsley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vogie
No offense meant, but your dad kinda' resembles Jerry Springer in a couple of those shots. Good luck with the project.
Hahahah. I will have to tell him that. He gets more "you look like Alan Jackson" than anything.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hell of a place to put your laundry.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Old 10-19-2009, 03:05 PM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Did I miss something or is that a zz454 instead of the small block 350 you mentioned you were going to use? Sweet...

Quick Reply: My '67 Vert Budget Rebuild