C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'66 windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Default '66 windshield wipers

When I turn the wiper switch "on" with the key in acc (or when the motor is running)....., nothing happens. However, sometimes the wipers actually come on and work well but when I turn the switch to "off" they keep running for awhile...... If I turn the key off they go "to rest" when I turn the key back on again..... sometimes !! Confused ?? me too. Please help. wiper motor works, switch works, why only sometimes ??
Old 06-01-2009, 06:47 PM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default wipers

Wow. I had the same issue. Look at my prior post a week or two ago. Several members helped point me in the right direction. I found that the factory grease had hardened around the moving parts within the gearing etc. There is a latch that swings out to catch the rotating gear. If the latch does not swing in/out/or stays out the wipers will not stop/run. The spring is very small on the latch and the old grease would not allow the spring to do its job. I removed the entire unit cleaned off all of the old grease(it was like glue) relubed all contacting/moving parts. I also removed the pcb and resoldered the contacts where the connector wires attach.(I am not sure I needed to do this, but since I had it all apart, and the connections looked questionable) It solved my problem. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: '66 windshield wipers