C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New Future Restomod project

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default New Future Restomod project

Well, I finally did the deal on a 64 Convertible, For all the purists, don't worry, it is not a matching number car. the plan is to drive it for approx 1 year while gathering parts etc then done the car for a month or so for the ls conversion with a 4l60 trans. I feel I did ok on the deal, did not steal it, but felt I got a car with good bones (frame/birdcage etc) to work with. The car has many original parts etc that will eventually be coming off the car and I will post them up when they will be available. Pic's now

I still need to research the numbers, I need to get a younger person with better eyes to see some of the numbers but here it goes
Block casting number is 3783870
intake 384445s
water neck 3827369
bellhousing 3840383
transmission 3884685
hubcaps 3823387

So, I have thought about doing a restomod with a c2 convert for quite a while, you only live once and I felt the market on these cars are about as low as it will go (I hope). Time to take the plunge.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,989 Likes on 4,808 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I wouldn't do a thing to it beside put gas and oil in and drive the wheels off. looks good
Old 06-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

My friend in Mineola, FL just finished an amazing restomod '64 including an LCD screen that 'pops up' and plays DVD from the radio speaker opening. He used an aftermarket frame and a modern corvette engine and even snuck a 6-speed tranny into it which ain't easy. Unbelievably he did it in just a few months... Its black on black with a red BB stinger hood...and with super nice wheels and tires...very classy. He's the only other guy that touches my C1 besides me.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You sure your 3783870, isn't 3782870 engine casting number ? That would make it the correct block for '64 and '65... If it has an original drivetrain I hope you will keep the engine mothballed in your custody after restomodding so it stays with the car...
Old 06-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fdreano
You sure your 3783870, isn't 3782870 engine casting number ? That would make it the correct block for '64 and '65... If it has an original drivetrain I hope you will keep the engine mothballed in your custody after restomodding so it stays with the car...
You are right, I made a typo, I do know this is not the motor that came in the car from the factory, I need to get some younger eyes (I am only 45) to read the engine pad, I would really like to find the owner of the car that this motor goes to. I am not a purist by any means, but I also realize these cars are becoming rarer all the time, If I can help some body make their's correct by the motor, shielding, fastners, transmission, etc etc, that would be my contribution to the restoration group. Below is a picture of it's stablemates with Dad.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

lookin good RJ! I will link up with you soon to help you lay out your plans.. I have pretty good vision also, can help you read numbers..

check the C3 sticky on LS swaps for updates on mine tomorrow, or just stop by the shop.. I finished my air intake today and spruced up the top of the radiator for show.

i'm just a set of exhaust away from firing mine up!

fdreano,
sending you a PM. i need to see your friend's A/V setup.. i had that same idea, but having trouble figuring out what parts to source.. want pop up screen with NAV, etc from dash center speaker location.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by mikey
fdreano,
sending you a PM. i need to see your friend's A/V setup.. i had that same idea, but having trouble figuring out what parts to source.. want pop up screen with NAV, etc from dash center speaker location.
Responded to your PM with contact info for my friend. These classy DVD/iPod upgrades are top-notch when he does them. If you are heading to Old Town anniversary cruise tomorrow he'll be there with a black '64 restomod and parked beside his buddy with a restomod C1....
Old 06-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Hey Mikey, I will be looking to you and Tracy for suggestions and advice, I have been reading the thread in the c3 section, another guy who is very knowledgeable is John McGraw and I see him post in this section at times, Funny thing is, several people tried to talk me out of doing the restomod for a driver, now one of them is talking about dropping a 5.3 in his 55 delivery.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano
Responded to your PM with contact info for my friend. These classy DVD/iPod upgrades are top-notch when he does them. If you are heading to Old Town anniversary cruise tomorrow he'll be there with a black '64 restomod and parked beside his buddy with a restomod C1....

I saw a similar car at last year's Turkey Run in Daytona - very nicely done.

Last edited by Islander21; 06-07-2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: typo,yt
Old 06-06-2009, 02:08 AM
Canute
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
I wouldn't do a thing to it beside put gas and oil in and drive the wheels off. looks good
Absolutely !
Old 06-06-2009, 08:31 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Default 64 restomod video

For those of you who emailed me, here is my first attempt at a video of the "new" 64. It's not very good, but you'll get the idea with the tv's and the hood.
It's built on a SRIII frame c-4/c-5 suspension. LS3, 6 speed Tremec, hydraulic clutch, leather, air, etc. Hope you like it!!!! Mike Coletta

Old 06-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Amazing! Now that kind of thing can be placed even in an old clunker like mine and no one would be the wiser (I'm trying to keep it looking as unmodified as possible). I hate my single speaker up front, and those visors are awesome! My car will never look as nice as yours (because I'll be driving it everywhere and will get pinged and scratched) but there's always room for hidden toys
Old 06-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

I was enjoying the OP car but then the 64 resto mod showed up and that really got my attention

I am not crazy over video stuff and I have not yet warmed up to giant size wheels on old cars but still I think that this car is extremely nice

Those 3 series motors run real good stock and have awesome potential.......... I suppose all the unseen like the frame and suspension are also really first rate.

Doug
Old 06-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

There is some great looking cars and idea's, I thought I spent some time researching thing's before, The time has doubled and then some. I am putting a 6.0 iron block with cam and slightly reworked 317 heads, fast 92 intake, Trans has not been decided, but will probably be a 4L60 Auto, steering rack and 4 wheel disc, Vintage Air or something similar etc, etc.

RevXtreme in Bradenton, Fl. will be involved in multiple aspects of the vehicle, (Mikey) forum name will be used as a sounding board on many idea's as he is in the final stages of his 64 retromod project. (He did a poor job of talking me out of this)

If any one has suggestions etc, I am .

This car will be driven, I drive approx 125-150 miles a day, so stay tuned for dependability reports etc.

Thanks all
Old 06-06-2009, 03:38 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach Dude
There is some great looking cars and idea's, I thought I spent some time researching thing's before, The time has doubled and then some. I am putting a 6.0 iron block with cam and slightly reworked 317 heads, fast 92 intake, Trans has not been decided, but will probably be a 4L60 Auto, steering rack and 4 wheel disc, Vintage Air or something similar etc, etc.

RevXtreme in Bradenton, Fl. will be involved in multiple aspects of the vehicle, (Mikey) forum name will be used as a sounding board on many idea's as he is in the final stages of his 64 retromod project. (He did a poor job of talking me out of this)

If any one has suggestions etc, I am .

This car will be driven, I drive approx 125-150 miles a day, so stay tuned for dependability reports etc.

Thanks all
That will be interesting, for sure!

Old 06-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Canute
Pro

Any chance you could post some more pictures? In particular some detail of the intake manifold area?
It looks nice. I'd just drive it.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:59 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 488 Posts

My '64 coupe started out the same color.

My restomod.

Get notified of new replies

To New Future Restomod project

Old 06-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Toddalin, very nice, people like you sure encourage me

Canute, I will take some pics for you, what in particular do you want or need?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Canute
Pro

Originally Posted by Beach Dude
Canute, I will take some pics for you, what in particular do you want or need?
How about some more detail of the engine compartment, such as the throttle linkage?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:25 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 61retro.........

so sweet! Where did you get the visors, and how did you rig the hood?

Quick Reply: New Future Restomod project