C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Adding an inch to KO backspace

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:37 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Adding an inch to KO backspace

I would like to add one inch to my rear KO rims and was wondering how that translates into overall added width to the tire & wheel combo

I know that guys have gone quite wide on their KO rims with offset T/A's but for now my T/A's are remaining stock

The widening process adds to backspace only and I was wondering how much more room would a one inch backspace increase on a KO with a 235 60 series tire need?.............Any opinions?

I have already have relocated my emergency brake cable.

Thanks in advance

Doug
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the actual rim you can measure and see if there's interference. And at Tire Rack (I think) you can find tire widths and how to add/subtract from the stated value based on rim width. This should get you pretty close.

larry
Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 PM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine did exactly that (added +1" to the inside of his KOs in the rear). He had to grind/cut off the parking brake cable bracket and is running without a parking brake. Sounds like you have already re-routed the cable over the top of the TA. Look out for clearance to the spring end too. (My friend's is a composite rear spring and I think its shortened.)
In terms of clearance to the fender, the tire gets wider by 1/2 the added rim width (so it will be 1/2" wider for 1" of rim), but the center line of the tire is now 1/2" inboard... so all the rim width got you was 1/4" extra clearance.

Harry

Last edited by 66since71; 06-05-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Adding an inch to KO backspace

Quick Reply: Adding an inch to KO backspace