C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Guess what year car I have

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:34 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Default Guess what year car I have

Am I the only one here who can't guess what year model car some guy has just from his user name? Again and again I see people asking for advice with no clue given as to when between 1953 and 1967 their car was manufactured. Am I the only one here who doesn't know what car each and every other forum member drives? Or are there people who genuinely don't know that much of the equipment was different in 1953, 1961 and 1967?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kellsdad

Am I the only one here who can't guess what year model car some guy has just from his user name? Again and again I see people asking for advice with no clue given as to when between 1953 and 1967 their car was manufactured. Am I the only one here who doesn't know what car each and every other forum member drives? Or are there people who genuinely don't know that much of the equipment was different in 1953, 1961 and 1967?
Now this is just a guess mind you but I am thinking you own a 63 convertible. Just a guess.

I have a 52 T-top.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

I would like the Forum to "expand" the groups - from combining "C1/C2" members together - and create separate new categories for C1 - and - C2 owners. That would probably help!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:29 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
I would like the Forum to "expand" the groups - from combining "C1/C2" members together - and create separate new categories for C1 - and - C2 owners. That would probably help!!!
IHMO. Thats not good a idea since it would make the forum less active. I enjoy seeing topics for C1 and C2s.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kellsdad

Originally Posted by Olustee bus
Now this is just a guess mind you but I am thinking you own a 63 convertible. Just a guess.

I have a 52 T-top.
I'll guess a red SWC.

That some people don't give you enough information to elicit an intelligent response. When are they going to learn that the more information they provide, the more responses they will receive.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

This issue goes along with the "cutesy" locations that some people put in their profile.

I am not sure it will ever change, as more and more people realize that they can buy and sell on the Forum just like Ebay, but without the fees.

We are seeing lots of new members who start out with "I have <fill in the blank> for sale. Profile is not complete, so we don't know where they, or the item, is located. Or they stick a cutesy location (like: my back yard, anywhere USA, etc.) in their profile.

Also, as previously stated, lots of questions about problems with their car, and no info to tell us what year, etc. car they are working on.

If you are not selling anything, I don't care where you live. If you are not asking questions about your car, I don' care what year it is.

However, if you are doing one of the above, please provide enough info that others can address the issue / sale.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
This issue goes along with the "cutesy" locations that some people put in their profile.

I am not sure it will ever change, as more and more people realize that they can buy and sell on the Forum just like Ebay, but without the fees.

We are seeing lots of new members who start out with "I have <fill in the blank> for sale. Profile is not complete, so we don't know where they, or the item, is located. Or they stick a cutesy location (like: my back yard, anywhere USA, etc.) in their profile.

Also, as previously stated, lots of questions about problems with their car, and no info to tell us what year, etc. car they are working on.

If you are not selling anything, I don't care where you live. If you are not asking questions about your car, I don' care what year it is.

However, if you are doing one of the above, please provide enough info that others can address the issue / sale.
BUT...like
Old 06-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by james Hufford
IHMO. Thats not good a idea since it would make the forum less active. I enjoy seeing topics for C1 and C2s.

C1 & C2s are the only ones that really count. The rest are outside noise.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

All you have to do is ask if you feel you really have to help, if not just pass on by.

It is only going to hurt the person with the item for sale or the one asking the question. They will have to wait longer for results.

Life is too short to let little things like that bother you.

Enjoy life, go take your Vette for a ride.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:58 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by KC John
All you have to do is ask if you feel you really have to help, if not just pass on by.

It is only going to hurt the person with the item for sale or the one asking the question. They will have to wait longer for results.

It's sort of like ads in Craigslist: Intake manifold $25... I just move on!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:24 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by KC John

I'm not seeking advice on how to deal with these people. If they don't give enough information for me to offer a helpful response, I don't. I'm just wondering how they accumulated enough wealth to afford a classic Corvette when they lack such basic thinking and communication skills. I'm genuinely curious.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I preface very request for help I generate with "'61vette" with more details about the specific situation in the post. Some lucky folks asking for help have multiple vettes so you can't always go by their avatar either.

Its just discourteous not to provide enough info to aid the experts on the forum when you need help. I thought about responding to such posts with some snippy answer but ignoring them is best.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Been my pet peeve for 10 years now. I will never understand why they assume I know what they are working on. And, they expect me to go to their profile to get a clue. Then when I chastise them in my reply, they get mad at me. Go figure. I just don't answer.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Woodie
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi since you guys no cars could you help me. I bought a car from a guy who's wife's uncles best friend bought new and is all original they said. But now some guys are telling me that the roll and tuck interior may not be original. Also a guy who really knows his stuff down at Jiffy lube said that he didn't think they had 8 track players back then. So I wondering now if it is the original engine. They also said the engine was painted blue to go with the outside color when it was rebuilt. Do you think this is the original engine for this year Corvette?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
Been my pet peeve for 10 years now. I will never understand why they assume I know what they are working on. And, they expect me to go to their profile to get a clue. Then when I chastise them in my reply, they get mad at me. Go figure. I just don't answer.
Just like the guy at a stop light who is busy adjusting the radio when the light turns green. After waiting a respectful few moments, you beep the horn lightly. He realizes the light is green, and gives you the single digit as a thank you for noting his stupidity (and indicating his IQ).

Plasticman
Old 06-26-2009, 11:32 AM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow, little grumpy?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:57 AM
landshark 454
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 54greg
Wow, little grumpy?
It was probably a slow morning, with no one to play with. I, like many people, was at work, so I was ranting about customers.

Get notified of new replies

To Guess what year car I have

Old 06-26-2009, 12:09 PM
corv58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet you can guess what year my vette is.....
Old 06-26-2009, 02:28 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodie
Hi since you guys no cars could you help me. I bought a car from a guy who's wife's uncles best friend bought new and is all original they said. But now some guys are telling me that the roll and tuck interior may not be original. Also a guy who really knows his stuff down at Jiffy lube said that he didn't think they had 8 track players back then. So I wondering now if it is the original engine. They also said the engine was painted blue to go with the outside color when it was rebuilt. Do you think this is the original engine for this year Corvette?
Spot on ......
Old 06-26-2009, 02:50 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Now that there is FUNNY----I don't care who you are. I think that this guy has been at some of the car shows that I have been at. I tell him that MY DAD owned one of the ORIGINAL METAL Corvettes. Mike Coletta

Quick Reply: Guess what year car I have