C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 big block TI problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 04:46 PM
hitchell
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 big block TI problem?

66 big block with transistor ignition. Compression good, timing correct, getting gas and spark. Will crank and run very lousy with skipping and backfiring for a few revs then quit. Almost acts like a bad vacuum leak but is not. No cracks or carbon tracks in distributor cap. When cranking over, timing light shows consistent spark. Spark is evident when plug is removed and grounded to engine. Could this be a problem with the pulse amplifier or are they either good or bad?
Old 06-27-2009, 08:57 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by hitchell
Could this be a problem with the pulse amplifier or are they either good or bad?
I'm not a T.I. guy, but the two most frequent failure modes are a bad ground at the amplifier, and moisture inside the amplifier case. Is it an original amplifier? That's 40-year-old germanium transistor technology, and the current replacement guts are a huge improvement according to the guys that have them.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out long island-they have the new circuit boards and the new Ti pick up coils. Its a lot cheaper just to replace those two units than to send it off to one of the few rebuilders. I'd start with the amp circuit board as John Z suggested. It is very simple to replace.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:26 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The above and; twist, push and pull on the coil while it's running. You may have one that's gone bad. I chased a 'lean cruise miss' for over a year because of a sneaky coil.

Carefull of the high voltage lead, you can get bit.

Get notified of new replies

To 66 big block TI problem?

Quick Reply: 66 big block TI problem?