C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I have a small problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:59 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default I have a small problem...

I am installing side pipes on my '63 vert and I ran into a couple of problems I can't get around. I installed regular looking exhaust manifolds made by Dorman, and removed my headers.

I have Allen's pipes and the passenger side went on with out a hitch. On the driver's side my steering damper was in the way by about a .5".

I had to disconnect it to get the pipes on. Once that was disconnected it bolted up, but I would like to reinstall it. Do you guys have any suggestions?

The other problem is the alternator bracket. I altered the one that was on my car when I was using headers, but it didn't work. It makes the alternator sit up too high and it would hit the hood. Plus the long adjusting bar is too short to reach where it bolts to the alternator.

I looked at the parts venders web sites and I don't see anything different than what I have. Does anyone have a picture of the stock one so I know what I am looking for?

I'm going to go back out in the shop and see if I can get a few pictures to show you what I am dealing with. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

If you need some pics., let me know(need an address to send pics.). I also put Allen's on my 64(with GM manifolds) and didnt have any problems but then agian, I put power steering on mine.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would call allens and let them know. They should not interfere. Mine drivers pipes is very close, but it still clears.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Ragtopman, I sent you a PM with my email address. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have stock non-power steering and Allen's sidepipes with no clearance issues. Also stock 2 1/2" ramshorns. Are you trying to push the sidepipe up too high?

Get notified of new replies

To I have a small problem...

Quick Reply: I have a small problem...