C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

another stamp pad opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

to me, the depth, boldness and uniformity of the numbers look to "mechanical" for me. The other pic shows numbers where it appears that the gang holder was tilted at an angle thus the upper parts of the numbers/letters are deeper than the bottom, indicating that it was apparently done by a human.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 AM
oseman2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is suspect, the first thing you look for is the height of the deck vs the waterpump. The deck is always higher. If its not, its likely to have been ground and restamped.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano

Is it me or is stamp pad validation an art form and not a science?
1/3 science, 1/3 art form, 1/3 bluffing and BS'ing.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:50 PM
corvette67jim
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
1/3 science, 1/3 art form, 1/3 bluffing and BS'ing.
maybe 1/2 in the BS'ing dept
Old 07-15-2009, 12:58 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oseman2
If it is suspect, the first thing you look for is the height of the deck vs the waterpump. The deck is always higher. If its not, its likely to have been ground and restamped.
Not true in a big block.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:04 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Is it me or is stamp pad validation an art form and not a science?
It's never been a science.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:24 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
It's never been a science.
There are just too many variables. I've seen motors with almost no broach marks and some with very heavy ones. New cutters vs. worn ones. Stamping variables - new stamps vs. old ones, heavy hit vs. light one, tilted holder vs. one held square, guy doing the stamping that gave a **** vs. one that didn't and on and on and on. And then throw in 50 years of exposure to all kinds of environments.

Jim
Old 07-15-2009, 04:27 PM
1966 L72
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by knight37128
Not true in a big block.
Is that true?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:09 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
There are just too many variables. I've seen motors with almost no broach marks and some with very heavy ones. New cutters vs. worn ones. Stamping variables - new stamps vs. old ones, heavy hit vs. light one, tilted holder vs. one held square, guy doing the stamping that gave a **** vs. one that didn't and on and on and on. And then throw in 50 years of exposure to all kinds of environments.

Jim
Well stated Jim Some things give you clues and some are just not correct but there were all kinds of variables coming from the factory so it is not just one WAY
Old 07-15-2009, 06:39 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Jim

Broach marks look like broach marks. No other process I'm aware of looks like broach marks, whether they be light or heavy.

Whether the "guy gave a ****" is irrelavant to the appearance of the stamp. Most SB stamps are light on the forward, right side, heavy on the left rear side for a good reason, and it had nothing to do with whether or not the "guy gave a ****" The depth of the stamp, for the same reason. If you'd ever been in an assembly plant, you'd have a better understanding of the process.

FYI, the serial number stamp was considered more or less a PIA back then even though it was a required process and later on, Uncle Sam mandatory compliance.

If you see a really weathered pad that you're not sure of but looks "ify", buy it.

It's much easier to determine what is NOT RIGHT than what is right.

The best thing to do when you buy is too ignore the pad and buy the car for what it is worth. The engine is the cheapest thing to make "right". Then you don't have to play these stupid games.

Last edited by MikeM; 07-15-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MikeM
Broach marks look like broach marks. No other process I'm aware of looks like broach marks, whether they be light or heavy.

Whether the "guy gave a ****" is irrelavant to the appearance of the stamp. Most SB stamps are light on the forward, right side, heavy on the left rear side for a good reason, and it had nothing to do with whether or not the "guy gave a ****" The depth of the stamp, for the same reason. If you'd ever been in an assembly plant, you'd have a better understanding of the process.

FYI, the serial number stamp was considered more or less a PIA back then even though it was a required process and later on, Uncle Sam mandatory compliance.
Well I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'm glad you're an expert on what expirience I have.
FYI - I've been studing VIN stampings prior to "uncle sam" requiring it. In fact, I have many pictures of blocks that were stamped before a gang holder was used and to say that the quality of stamp has nothing to do with the person doing it is total B.S.

Jim
Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by knight37128
Not true in a big block.
I agree. There is also "alot" of variance in water pump castings. Alot.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Well I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions. . In fact, I have many pictures of blocks that were stamped before a gang holder was used and to say that the quality of stamp has nothing to do with the person doing it is total B.S.

Jim
I don't speak from opinions. I was there for a number of years.

I've never heard of an engine stamp done in an asembly plant unless it was done with a gang stamp. You ain't got time to do it individually to start with. If it was done without the gang stamp, it must have been many years ago and not applicable to current discussion.

You are totally out of touch with reality.

And like I said, the person doing it had "other" influencing, outside factors. Get real!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

I don't speak from opinions. I was there for a number of years.

I've never heard of an engine stamp done in an asembly plant unless it was done with a gang stamp. You ain't got time to do it individually to start with. If it was done without the gang stamp, it must have been many years ago and not applicable to current discussion.

You are totally out of touch with reality.

And like I said, the person doing it had "other" influencing, outside factors. Get real!
In 1960 when they started stamping the VIN and they were done without a gang holder. You should have known that since you were there.
After following your dumb azz replies in the "spindle thread", I'm not going to get in a childish pizzin' match with you. I'll just admit right now that you know more than anyone who's ever walked the planet and have never been wrong in your life. No matter how much evidence there is to prove you wrong.

Last edited by 1snake; 07-15-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

In 1960 when they started stamping the VIN and they were done without a gang holder. You should have known that since you were there.

We're not talking about 1960. Pay attention.

With your attitude, it's probably a good thing you're living over there in a corner of the country where you don't have too many neighbors to bother.

And your post(s) is/are irrelevant to this subject. As are you.

You seem to be a man that likes the last word. Go ahead.

Last edited by MikeM; 07-15-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

With your attitude, it's probably a good thing you're living over there in a corner of the country where you don't have too many neighbors to bother.

That statement shows what a baffoon you are. There are several million people that live in the Puget Sound area. You really should stop posting so people only think you're an idiot instead of proving it. I'm done.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:07 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

That statement shows what a baffoon you are. There are several million people that live in the Puget Sound area. You really should stop posting so people only think you're an idiot instead of proving it. I'm done.
Puget Sound? Where is that?

"Baffoon" is spelled "buffoon". I was here when you got here and I'll be here when you're gone.

Get notified of new replies

To another stamp pad opinion

Old 07-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I have to laugh....

Some poor puke on the Corvette assembly line could never have imagined at the time two guys flaming each other in cyberspace, 50 years later, about how he was doing his sucky job.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-15-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:24 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have to laugh....

Some poor puke on the Corvette assembly line could have never have imagined at the time two guys flaming each other in cyberspace, 50 years later, about how he was doing his sucky job.
say it ain't so......
Old 07-16-2009, 12:13 AM
philip964
Burning Brakes

The second sample with the head removed, says honest to me. That textured look for now is impossible to replicate with a file or belt sander.

Lazer etching is not far off, but for now if you see that honest look its probably orginal.

Quick Reply: another stamp pad opinion