C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bird cage rust

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 AM
torose
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John is correct as that is the way I had to do my birdcage. However another forum member who's name now escapes me drilled the rivets out through fiberglass

Below is one of pictures

Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by torose
John is correct as that is the way I had to do my birdcage. However another forum member who's name now escapes me drilled the rivets out through fiberglass

Below is one of pictures

Wow! You have to have a lot of confidence in your drilling skills to try and drill out those rivets blind like that! I wonder how he got to the lower rivets that hold the lower side of the windshield frame to the cowl?

My recollection is that they are pretty much hidden down in the cowl unless the clip is off. I guess you could grind the tails of under the dash, and punch the rivets out, but how would you ever get new ones in? It would be tough to get a pop rivet tool down in the cowl area to install new ones.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, I feel better now, we ground the backside of the rivet off that was at the cowl area, the top of the underside panel was so rusted, there wasn't anything holding to the top where you are showing your drilled out spots. Our plan is to use a panel bonding adhesive designed for metal and fiberglass in place of the rivets and weld the ends. I will get the number tonight of the adhesive/bonding material if anybody want's.

Tonight's agenda is to patch the rust hole on the left pillar and hopefully weld/bond the lower windshield/birdcage panel in.

Last night did a rough mock up with the new piece to get the game plan together.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:49 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,767 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach Dude
OK, I feel better now, we ground the backside of the rivet off that was at the cowl area, the top of the underside panel was so rusted, there wasn't anything holding to the top where you are showing your drilled out spots. Our plan is to use a panel bonding adhesive designed for metal and fiberglass in place of the rivets and weld the ends. I will get the number tonight of the adhesive/bonding material if anybody want's.

Tonight's agenda is to patch the rust hole on the left pillar and hopefully weld/bond the lower windshield/birdcage panel in.

Last night did a rough mock up with the new piece to get the game plan together.
buddy, you have been burning the mid night oil. sounds like you have a good hand on it. good luck on the job.....
Old 08-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Part is bonded to firewall and underside of cowl, rust hole on left a-pillar is patched, will weld the lower surround on the sides tomorrow and paint.

I am having problems getting the computer with the camera program to boot up, I am still taking pics for those of interest.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:11 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Part is bonded to firewall and underside of cowl, rust hole on left a-pillar is patched, will weld the lower surround on the sides tomorrow and paint.

I am having problems getting the computer with the camera program to boot up, I am still taking pics for those of interest.
pic,s
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 AM
kimo1965
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kimo1965
Hi, jim car is doing great love it....
Old 08-08-2009, 05:27 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be very interested to see those pics when you get a chance to post them. I always enjoy seeing and hearing of how someone tackles a big job in a new way. It seems like your approach will be closely watched and probably replicated...

Old 08-08-2009, 11:01 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by darguy
I will be very interested to see those pics when you get a chance to post them. I always enjoy seeing and hearing of how someone tackles a big job in a new way. It seems like your approach will be closely watched and probably replicated...

I am sure it will be better than when it rolled off the show room. pic,s
Old 08-09-2009, 04:15 AM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-09-2009, 05:38 AM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Computer for pics fixed, beginning reassembly.Almost said final, dash will be coming out for the A/M Ac unit when the 6.0 motor goes in probably late next year.
the old part (whats left)
the new part
test fit
Bonded Let sit for 24 hrs before welding sides
Bonding material on left, sealer on rt.
bonded, welded, seam sealed
Ready for the reassembly process

Sorry about the multiple pics, Give's another option/idea to some of us who have this issue, Thankfully the part is now available saving many many hours of fabricating.

Special thanks to my good friend Peter who also was SO involved in the yellow 66 blower car.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:32 AM
count
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts

great job!! I'm glad it all worked out for ya.

Why didn't you opt for the inner post from Gary? Was it easy to fab? I have the whole length to do where the holes are located for the moldings. Not sure what to get ... I want to look at his brochure before buying anything.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

I did buy both the inner and outer assm, Part can be bought seperate or as a assm with them welding the 2 together as a assm (worth the money)

Count, before you order your piece, Pull the dash so you can get a good look at what you need. Again, thanks for the heads up on this person, they do not have a web site, they actually manufacter the parts for many other companies.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:12 PM
count
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry I did not explain it correctly... My rust issue is on the passenger vertical post (inner ..where the sheet metal folds over to make the drip rail I think...I think I will take pics with me to Carlisle since Gary will be there... Then order the parts once he determines what I need... So I pay for shippping..who cares...

You know if I had the courage I should pull the dash..... It must be rotten in there... But would'nt I be able to see any issues with my glove box out... I'm going to stick a flash light in there tonight to investigate..

See ya
Old 08-09-2009, 02:22 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Computer for pics fixed, beginning reassembly.Almost said final, dash will be coming out for the A/M Ac unit when the 6.0 motor goes in probably late next year.
the old part (whats left)
the new part
test fit
Bonded Let sit for 24 hrs before welding sides
Bonding material on left, sealer on rt.
bonded, welded, seam sealed
Ready for the reassembly process

Sorry about the multiple pics, Give's another option/idea to some of us who have this issue, Thankfully the part is now available saving many many hours of fabricating.

Special thanks to my good friend Peter who also was SO involved in the yellow 66 blower car.
RJ man it looks good will be just like new..Glad you have it where it is going back together now.....
Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Car is back together, I actually used the shop vac to vacumn the carpet for dirt/dust after washing the car rather than to get the water out. I think I still have a leak at the conv top header area, will find out in one of the Florida rain storms.

Get notified of new replies

To Bird cage rust

Old 08-09-2009, 09:10 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Car is back together, I actually used the shop vac to vacumn the carpet for dirt/dust after washing the car rather than to get the water out. I think I still have a leak at the conv top header area, will find out in one of the Florida rain storms.
Nice work, and fast too! Congrats on the slick fix.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 PM
58impala
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
No need to fabricate anything - Caledonia now has ALL the midyear windshield frame panels, both inners and outers; they're available individually or as pre-welded inner/outer assemblies, and are zinc-plated and chromated for corrosion resistance.
Hi, do these guys have a website as I can't seem to find one. Need most of the screen frame panels myself!
Thanks
Old 09-17-2009, 05:10 AM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

They do not have a website, look at post 2, it has a phone number, post 3 has a picture of different parts. When I called, I spoke to Gary, very helpful, I needed the part asap since it is a daily driver, next day delivery, very impressed with the part.They do have a catalog as well. I would suggest pulling the dash and windshield mldgs to see what you have before ordering stuff if possible.

Quick Reply: Bird cage rust