C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Two fours/dual Quads with an automatic transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Two fours/dual Quads with an automatic transmission???

I'm thinking about adding a little bling to my ZZ4 restomod with C4 suspension. The tranmsmission is a Buick Grand National 2004R.
Question is ....does any one have two fours with an automatic, and does it perform well, bog or other??

If you have two fours with an automatic that performs well, what exactly do you have?

The easiest to get is the Edlebrock set up and it looks great ..as some of our members can testify to.

However I'm concerned about reliable performance first ..then bling, so what are you using?...and what issues did you have to overcome?

Thanks...Stan
Old 08-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Can't comment on the Automatic question.

I've got the Edlebrock Dual Quad setup on a "STOCK" ZZ4 with 5-speed and 3:08 Gear. Two 500 CFM (1000 CFM) is way to much for the L98 heads and cam in the Stock ZZ4. Mine runs better if I just use 1 of the carbs and don't kick the 2nd one in. If I open them both up you can almost see the gas running out of the side exhaust

**NOTE**Mine were added for BLING only and I got a super deal ($600 complete NEW)

Reliable and gets lots of "WOW's"

George

Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for that George..

Of course yours is the one I was thinking about. One of the best looking engines on the forum...and one that sticks in my mind, when I think of dressing the ZZ4.

I wonder if there is some way to set the dual quads up where they are vacuum operated..? I doubt that I could go that route with an automatic if it had a tendancy to flood. There would be no way to rev it up and clear it out...like we had to do the old hot rods when they ran rich.

Maybe an original style system with the wcfb's would work with an automatic...?

Anybody know the answer to that one?

Best regards...Stan
Old 08-29-2009, 10:10 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

How about a fuel injected ZZ4 - with some bling?

Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CWerner
How about a fuel injected ZZ4 - with some bling?

Very nice Chris..

I was really wanting a carbed engine because I did so much carburetor work in my shops back the old days. In fact I can do things with a Quadrajet that most folks don't believe...including get good fuel economy. However, so many Q-jets have been installed by amateurs that didn't work well, that they don't have any "wow" factor, if you know what I mean, and why I'm looking at dual quads. I may use one (Q-jet) anyway...just because I can make them haul the mail..and everything else a good carb is supposed to do.

Having said that ..I like your injection set up. Curious to know how the little ZZ4 cam sounds with your injection (one of the reasons I chose an old school ZZ4 instead of an LS)...about the same as carbureted I assume? I know that carb tune can change the sound of the cam a little...

About what was the cost of your set up by the time you gathered everything up?

Also what kind of mileage do you get...with what gear and trans...?

Thanks for the post...Stan
Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Get a three 2's set up.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Get a three 2's set up.
Hey George, I considered them

...I like them on 348s or late 60's 427's, and 389 GTO's. Just doesn't seem right on a smallblock '61 Corvette to me though..?

Stan...

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 08-29-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:08 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Hey George, I considered them

...I like them on 348s or late 60's 427's, and 389 GTO's. Just doesn't seem right on a smallblock '61 Corvette to me though..?

Stan...
Stan - I ran a 3/2 set-up in my '57 Chev with Corvette 365 hp engine -does that count? It might be a good conversation piece in a '61

Last edited by GCD1962; 08-30-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Stan - I ran a 3/2 set-up in my '57 Chev with Corvette 365 hp engine -deos that count? It might be a good conversation piece in a '61
3 deuces on a '57 Chevy seems more period correct "to me" than a '61 Corvette....

Maybe because the hood is taller on a '57 and can take the Stomberg type little chrome scoop breathers (really only had a screen and some mesh in them)

Could just be me though...what do others think??

Stan..
Old 08-30-2009, 12:38 AM
65Tuxedo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the base ZZ4 in my 65 coupe and have been thinking about the three dueces setup. Anyone using this? How does it work?
Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Stan,

Again not an automatic, but an OD 4 speed. Runs great with 355 CID and dual 500 cfm Carter AFBs.

I really don't see an issue with an automatic trans vs. the 4 speed (that a little tuning would not fix). The AFBs with the Secondary air valve (Edelbrock AVS) or the Q-jets should offer the tuning capabilities that I would want with an automatic trans.

Note that decent air cleaners can be a bit of a problem with the Offenhauser intake I use (mine shown is a single quad base that I modified into a 2X4). Carb to carb spacing distance is greater than the Edelbrock manifolds, but Edelbrock and Billet Specialties make air cleaners that will fit with the Edelbrock manifold carb spacing. Note also that air cleaners for a 3X2 carb setup is very difficult under a C1 hood (especially if your hood has the underhood cross brace).

Plasticman
Old 08-30-2009, 08:48 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Stan,

I would say the cam sounds the same as with a carb setup. As far as the cost, here you go:

TPIS Miniram.....$1200 (new.....cheaper on Ebay)
Powder coat........$ 200
OBD1.................???? I already had it. I was running a TPI setup. You can replace this with a Acel DFI...$1000 or less used
Distributor..........???? already had it
Tranny....Gearstar level 3 700R4 / 4L60 (Lock-up gives me a 5th gear @ 60 mph)
Rear end.......3.54

Mileage is good. I get about 16 in city if I keep my foot off the pedal. I've done a couple 600 mile drives and got about 21 mpg.

I still want to put better heads and a bigger cam in it. Why? because I must have a whole in my head.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

The Barry Grant Demon SIXSHOOTER will not fit under Small Block hood. You will need Big Block Hood. These were my 1st choice but went with Dual Quads that fit & much cheaper

Old 08-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Black_Magic
The Barry Grant Demon SIXSHOOTER will not fit under Small Block hood. You will need Big Block Hood. These were my 1st choice but went with Dual Quads that fit & much cheaper

How much did it like fitting George....if you remember?

My chassis sits the engine 2 inches or so lower than stock.

Stan..
Old 08-30-2009, 02:20 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default 2 inches is a lot!

How much did it like fitting George....if you remember?

My chassis sits the engine 2 inches or so lower than stock.

Stan..
If you have two more inches, you should be able to fit an Edelbrock tri power in there with a modified air cleaner ~2.5" tall and still not hit the hood brace. You could go a number of ways to get open area and bling. Plasticman's setup or some early/mid 60's Ford setups should give you some good ideas (long and low profile)
My 60" with Edelbrock/Rochester tri power has only ~5/8" diagonal clearance between top of stock air cleaner and the hood brace. Problem is restricted intake due to cleaner short height and element encroaching on front and end carbs. The front edge of front carb air horn is right under the rear slope portion of hood brace.
WOT performance is noticeably better than a 600 cfm Edelbrock 4bbl. Estimates are ~650-750 cfm with the Rochesters.

By the way, the BG/Holley (big block tri power) carb cleaner studs are positioned at the rear of the air horns, as compared to Rochester 2CG center location. At least one restorod C1 is using a modified BB tri power air cleaner.
Looking forward to seeing your end result.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
If you have two more inches, you should be able to fit an Edelbrock tri power in there with a modified air cleaner ~2.5" tall and still not hit the hood brace. You could go a number of ways to get open area and bling. Plasticman's setup or some early/mid 60's Ford setups should give you some good ideas (long and low profile)
My 60" with Edelbrock/Rochester tri power has only ~5/8" diagonal clearance between top of stock air cleaner and the hood brace. Problem is restricted intake due to cleaner short height and element encroaching on front and end carbs. The front edge of front carb air horn is right under the rear slope portion of hood brace.
WOT performance is noticeably better than a 600 cfm Edelbrock 4bbl. Estimates are ~650-750 cfm with the Rochesters.

By the way, the BG/Holley (big block tri power) carb cleaner studs are positioned at the rear of the air horns, as compared to Rochester 2CG center location. At least one restorod C1 is using a modified BB tri power air cleaner.
Looking forward to seeing your end result.
thanks for the post Tom..

You don't have some pics of your engine do you..? I'd like to see the carbs in a Corvette.

Stan..
Old 08-30-2009, 08:20 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Back to Stan

thanks for the post Tom..

You don't have some pics of your engine do you..? I'd like to see the carbs in a Corvette.

Stan..
message sent.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
message sent.
Thanks Tom ..reply sent.

Stan..
Old 03-10-2015, 12:40 AM
dunney
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Magic
Can't comment on the Automatic question.

I've got the Edlebrock Dual Quad setup on a "STOCK" ZZ4 with 5-speed and 3:08 Gear. Two 500 CFM (1000 CFM) is way to much for the L98 heads and cam in the Stock ZZ4. Mine runs better if I just use 1 of the carbs and don't kick the 2nd one in. If I open them both up you can almost see the gas running out of the side exhaust

**NOTE**Mine were added for BLING only and I got a super deal ($600 complete NEW)

Reliable and gets lots of "WOW's"

George

Jesus Christ, this is like ****.

Get notified of new replies

To Two fours/dual Quads with an automatic transmission???

Quick Reply: Two fours/dual Quads with an automatic transmission???