C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Frustrating interior door levers ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Frustrating interior door levers ?

The door levers don't open the door, so I have to roll down the window and open from the outside door handle. I've removed the mechamism,cleaned,inspected,greased and reinstalled. they both work fine untill I reinstall the door panel, they both quite working with the panel installed, whats up with that? Anyone have this problem? any ideas whats going on? whats the fix?
Thanks in advance.
Russ
Old 09-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

did the rods fall off after you put the door panel. if so do you have the correct "J" clips
Old 09-26-2009, 01:24 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The curved stainless bezel where the shafts for the inside door release ***** come through the door trim panel are probably limiting full rearward travel of the *****; you can put a slight double-bend in the rod from the release to the latch - that will effectively shorten it so you get full travel at the latch from the ****.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:27 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Another good one JohnZ. You provide so much useful information. Much appreciated!
Old 09-26-2009, 10:02 PM
vettn
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Another good one JohnZ. You provide so much useful information. Much appreciated!
John Z is right on the problem...the door panel bezel limits travel. Sometimes another quick fix is to take a piece of metal coat hanger about 15 inches long and put a 180 degree bend in it about one inch from the bottom but leaving it open. Then put the hook end inside the window opening and hook the center area of the door opening rod. Clamp vise grips on upper end of the coat hanger and pull hard enough to put a bend into the door open rod. Keep bending until the door opens right. I have done several this way. This works until you decide to take the door panel off and make a better adjustment. Also, someone is making a tool to put a double bend in the rod, but can't remember who. If the rod and door opening mechanism is in good shape, you should not need to bend the rod.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:32 AM
PinkVetteLady
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Or you can do as someone did on my car and build up where the pushbutton strikes with metal that had 3M double sided tape to secure it. It has the same effect as bending the rod but works from another angle..
Old 09-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input, John Z's fix did the trick. I also tack welded the shaft that the ball threads onto to the mechamiism.The shaft was loose and gave the lever to much wobble.
Russ

Get notified of new replies

To Frustrating interior door levers ?

Quick Reply: Frustrating interior door levers ?