C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

transmission stuck in a forward gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 PM
tmpugel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default transmission stuck in a forward gear

1963 SWC 327/300 4 speed Munci. My transmission is stuck in a forward gear similar to another post. I backed it out of the garage then moved forward a few feet to wash it. Then started it, put it in reverse and backed up fine till I tried to put in 1st. it wouldn't go but the car will go forward so I was able to garage it. It feels like 1st or 2nd gear. When I put it into the reverse position it wont move but will stall the motor. Is this a linkage problem as was stated to the other post or internal to the transmission? I have limited mechanical skills but can get under it ti try easy remedies.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Jack the car up and sit it on jack stands...safety first! Align the two levers (not the rods) on the trans side straight up, neutral position. While doing so, check to see if the bolts holding the levers are tight and fitted in the notch and check the jamb nuts on the rods as they attach to the swivel ends. If your shifter doesn't move while doing this I would guess something is wrong in the body of the shifter. Hope this helps. Dennis
Old 10-08-2009, 01:03 PM
tmpugel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Jack the car up and sit it on jack stands...safety first! Align the two levers (not the rods) on the trans side straight up, neutral position. While doing so, check to see if the bolts holding the levers are tight and fitted in the notch and check the jamb nuts on the rods as they attach to the swivel ends. If your shifter doesn't move while doing this I would guess something is wrong in the body of the shifter. Hope this helps. Dennis
Dennis, Thanks, it was an easy fix. The original shifter was replaced with a Hurst several months ago so I'll have the mechanic look at it.
Tom
Old 10-08-2009, 07:17 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

if you are sure it is the tranny and linkage then stop. if not did you apply
the emergency brake? they can stick. jim
Old 10-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Jimbo64
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by tmpugel
Dennis, Thanks, it was an easy fix. The original shifter was replaced with a Hurst several months ago so I'll have the mechanic look at it.
Tom
whats the perminant fix-hate laying in parking lots with a pair of channel locks
Old 10-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Jimbo64
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Jimbo64
whats the perminant fix-hate laying in parking lots with a pair of channel locks
come on guys, is this just something with these muncie transmissions or is there a perminent fix- Pain in the but--doesn't do it often but it does do it. Has a lot of you had this prob. come on ----share with us
Old 10-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Johnny 66
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

the earlier post was probably mine. I had a similar problem in August on my 66. Dad was moving the car in driveway for me, and held the "T" up when moving from Reverse to first. Ended up having car stuck in first gear and would not come out. Moving forward no problem. Trying to go in reverse resulted in stalling.

Jacked up, used a crescent wrench to knock 1st and 2nd shifter in to Nuetral, nop other problems.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Johnny 66
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo64
In my case, the permanent fix is to not get it stuck in 1st again. (Dont tell Dad I said this!!)
Old 10-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Tom
I have a Hurst in my '67, but can't remember the exact set-up process from 22 years ago. If you can't find the installation instructions or the mechanic is not that good, PM me and I'll copy my Hurst instructions and send them to you. Dennis
Old 08-02-2014, 07:54 AM
tmpugel
Advanced

Is it possible for the linkage to come out of proper adjustment? For well over a year I had no problem then last week, July 2014, stuck in forward gear while out on the road.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:05 AM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Is it possible for the linkage to come out of proper adjustment? For well over a year I had no problem then last week, July 2014, stuck in forward gear while out on the road.
A similar problem on my Muncie, trying to shift out of reverse it would get stuck in two gears and the car would not move. My problem turned out to be a worn hole in the reverse lever where the shift rod connected. The hole was elongated from wear and had the same effect as improper adjustment. Solution is to chage out the worn lever or do as I did. Weld up the hole and redrill the proper sized hole.

The metal on metal connections wear over time. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

First, to restate the safety warning, do not get under a car NOT on jackstands if it is stuck in gear. Many sad stories of folks unjamming gears while under a car, where the tranny in gear was the only thing that kept the car from rolling. There was even a case locally several years back where a guy removed his driveshaft while under a car and the tranny in park was the only thing that kept it from rolling - when he removed the last bolts, the vehicle rolled, killing him in his driveway.

Anyway, the vast majority of this this problem is a problem with the shifter, either misadjusted, or jammed up.

First check the tranny shifter levers manually, then work your way back through the shifter. Factor shifters can have the shifter body spread out, allowing slop in the system. Just rebuild or replace the shifter.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Two things apply here. First, find the tool that came with the Hurst for aligning the rods and levers. I believe it should be plastic now (they used to be steel). It should also be about 1/4" in diameter. See Photo. It goes into the body of the shifter just above where the arms attach to align the arms at the shifter. It slips into the round hole.

Next, if you do not already have them and before trying to align the rods and levers buy the kit listed below. Like these on Ebay. You should be able to find them at a local auto parts store, if they handle speed equipment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HURST-3327302-Pit-Pack-Steel-Shifter-Bushings-and-Spring-Clips-Pack-of-7-/221505603456?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3392c34780&vxp=mtr
The tool and the steel bushings should solve any problem that you have. I installed these bushings over 15 years ago and I have never had to align my shift rods since.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:01 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is the fool proof method of adjusting a hurst shifter. At least for me anyway..

First things first, use jackstands, and put the parking brake on!

After that has been accomplished, loosen the jamb nuts on both ends of the rods that attach to the base of the shifter.

The tool that is above my post works well, however, I don't have one like that so I use this. Lowes or home depot has a pretty good hardware selection, so go find you a 1/4-20 bolt that is four inches long. As you have now loosened the jam nuts on both ends of the rods, make sure all three levers on the tranny are in the neutral position.

Insert said tool into the recess at the base of the shifter. It looks like a horseshoe cutout.
Make sure all three shifter plates are in alignment so the tool can "stop" against the inner shifter housing.

Once you have that, tighten the jamb nuts up to the plates using two wrenches leaving the tool installed until finished. I.E. wrench on forward nut, plate, wrench on back nut. Tighten them together until they touch the plate, and then move on to the next rod, nut and plate assembly.

Once you have all three done remove the tool and your hurst shifter will be correctly aligned.

The ebay link is to the hurst "PIT" pack and can be found here also.

Summit racing part number
HUU-3327302

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:14 PM
/3 Convertible
1st Gear

Just got a 1973 convertible from my brother who has owned it since 1976. The shifter is stuck in 1st gear. I checked the levers, the 2nd one was loose, I tightened it. Are both levers are to be vertical? 1 is but not 2. It has a 350 motor, 4 speed and I believe ithas the Muncie Tranny. The rear of the car is sitting on jacks. Took 2 weeks to get it running now tranny troubles. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:53 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by /3 Convertible
Just got a 1973 convertible from my brother who has owned it since 1976. The shifter is stuck in 1st gear. I checked the levers, the 2nd one was loose, I tightened it. Are both levers are to be vertical? 1 is but not 2. It has a 350 motor, 4 speed and I believe ithas the Muncie Tranny. The rear of the car is sitting on jacks. Took 2 weeks to get it running now tranny troubles. Any help is appreciated.
Start a new thread..
Old 05-08-2016, 08:58 PM
bradc6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 200 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

Originally Posted by /3 Convertible
Originally Posted by 69z28&ss396
Start a new thread..
In the C3 forum.

Last edited by bradc6; 05-08-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To transmission stuck in a forward gear

Quick Reply: transmission stuck in a forward gear