C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Hood Release AO Smith body blackout

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:08 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Default 67 Hood Release AO Smith body blackout

I have a 67 NCRS car in the shop for some minor work, and I don't have a judging manual. Can someone tell me what the correct blackout procedure is on the female hood latches and cables? From what is written on his last judging sheets, it looks like maybe "light" overspray on the latches, and little or no blackout on the cables??!!??? I thought that the cables and latches were in place during blackout on all of the midyears except 63?? Can anyone help. I need to have the info out of the judging manual as this is a really high point car, and I don't want to screw it up!!! Thanks.

Mike Coletta
Old 11-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

the latches were not installed doing black out on a A.O. Smith body. so there for no black out
Old 11-23-2009, 06:07 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

OK, I've now read the latest 67 manual (4th revision), and I'm more confused than I was before. It says "A.O. Smith bodies exhibit less overspray in this area than St. Louis bodies". What the hell does that mean??? It goes on to say that the cable may be partially painted black or have body color paint since it is installed at the time of the underhood blackout. BUT----"known original A.O. Smith cars have been observed without paint on the cable". SO, does anyone know what the judges are looking for? Should I clean the cable? None of my C-2 books say that the latches and cables were NOT installed at the time of blackout, and it looks to me like the cables are always black, except for the known examples which do not!!!

Now I know WHY I build RESTOMODS!!!!! Any help in interpeting this mess would be appreciated.

Mike Coletta
Old 11-23-2009, 06:19 PM
packrat
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Female hood catches and cable were installed on AO Smith bodies after the black out process. I would suggest that you remove one and I'll bet you will fine black paint under the catch. If you remove a St. Louis catch you will see bare fiberglass. This applies to original cars.
Regards,
Page Campbell
Old 11-23-2009, 07:53 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 61retro
OK, I've now read the latest 67 manual (4th revision), and I'm more confused than I was before. It says "A.O. Smith bodies exhibit less overspray in this area than St. Louis bodies". What the hell does that mean??? It goes on to say that the cable may be partially painted black or have body color paint since it is installed at the time of the underhood blackout. BUT----"known original A.O. Smith cars have been observed without paint on the cable". SO, does anyone know what the judges are looking for? Should I clean the cable? None of my C-2 books say that the latches and cables were NOT installed at the time of blackout, and it looks to me like the cables are always black, except for the known examples which do not!!!

Now I know WHY I build RESTOMODS!!!!! Any help in interpeting this mess would be appreciated.

Mike Coletta
It means that change is slow at NCRS, and the powers that be are not quite up to admitting that they have been wrong about AOS cars for years and they want to slide into to this slowly. Give it a few years and we will have it changed. In the mean time, Page is correct, the latches and cable were not installed at blackout on AOS.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Thanks to each of you that responded. I also had John H. respond on the NCRS board. Latches and cross cable were installed on the trim line for AO Smith bodies only, well after black out, so there is NO black on any of it. Thanks to all of you.

Mike Coletta
Old 11-24-2009, 10:50 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Default Whew, glad that's settled

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Hood Release AO Smith body blackout

Quick Reply: 67 Hood Release AO Smith body blackout