C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Researching car history

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:04 AM
zpletcher
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
The ad is from the November-December 2009 NCRS Driveline: "AutoAncestry.com. Former Owner Research can find former owners of your Corvette; find your long lost Corvette; reunite original engines with a car; and reunite original documents and photos. Visit us at AutoAncestry.com for complete information and a free consultation. NCRS Member 12425."

First name is Bill. Hope this helps someone.

Larry
thanks for the info. I missed that ad and I just read my Driveline.

Cheers, Zale
Old 12-05-2009, 07:58 AM
cusdynawide
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked Autoancestry.com site and it can be costly. Standard fee is an initial fee of $75 and an additional charge of $60 per hr.,therefore it appeared to cost at least $135 and depending on information obtained, could end there or end up very costly. Autoancestry.com seemed very straight forward and honest and did say they are very liberal with their hours, implying one would get their dollars worth. The more information you can furnish when starting the less it will cost.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:15 AM
futura
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I had a chance to speak with Bill of www.autoancestry.com at length during the 2009 Corvette Carlisle show. Nice guy and was very realistic about what he could or couldn't find. From what I gathered, the formula to his success is making phone calls, lot of them, tracking down folks that used to work at old Chevy dealerships, local garages, retired police officers and anyone else that might have been involved in the street scene back in the day. When he was in the service, he performed a similar role and likes to drill down ala Lt. Colombo. He too gets caught up in the thrill of the chase, I wouldn't get too concerned about the fees, etc.

I'm fortunate to have most of the owner history on my 65 Falcon Sprint Convertible and 67Mustang FB GT back to the original window stickers and sales agreements. The trail goes cold on our black plate 67 SS/RS Camaro prior to 1978 and the project 59 Vette is a mystery to me other than a fuzzy drag racing history somewhere in the Midwest.

Once the holidays are over, I'm going to have Bill take a shot at tracking down the history on the Vette. I'll let the forum know what we find.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 PM
zpletcher
Racer

Default Car Research

I sent all my info to Bill yesterday in his email format.

I can't wait to see if he can give it a try...

The longer I wait the colder the trail will get...

I am sure he has more experience than me in finding something..

I will post later if he can help. It is a free evaluation at first after I

give him all the info I have, and he will let me know if he thinks he

can help or not.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Zale
Old 12-05-2009, 07:27 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 832 Likes on 576 Posts

I have found all of the previous owners of my car except one...

2 live in my hometown
1 passed away last year, he also lived in my hometown
Then there is the guy that I bought it from...he is the only one i cannot find. still looking for him

jack
Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Chasing your tail

Years ago I tried searching the history of my '62. This was before the great "privacy" push. I bought the car locally (Mass) from a man who bought it in Illinois and brought it back to Mass with a job transfer. I contacted the Ill DMV and for a modest sum they sent me copies of all previous titles. Yes, all TEN, of them from 1966 to 1974 . I sent all ten listed previous owners a personal letter asking for basically ANYTHING.

List of results ZERO. All ten either moved, died, went out of business, or just didn't want to be bothered. So with no details I at least found the names of owners and the history from 1966 to date. Seems the car started life somewhere other than Illinois and spent the first four years of its life elsewhere.

The odd thing is that the car and its 10 owners spent the eight years in the middle of its life within 15 miles of Chicago and when I bought it, it was a totally original car except for one poor repaint. Bob
Old 12-05-2009, 10:56 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by amtronic1
I'm getting a 66 roadster, I wonder what is/are the best ways to research the cars history. Since it doesn't have the long form VIN number, none of the search engines can handle it.
please pm me also, i would like to get any additional info on my '65, best i have now is title from: Dec. 79 from Bill Banks Chevrolet in Mountain View MO., can anyone tell me if that dealership still exists? The car was purchased 5 years ago from a dealer in Ohio and brought into Canada by the person i bought it from, got a few gaps to fill in....

Last edited by vt65; 12-05-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:29 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by claf
Years ago I tried searching the history of my '62. This was before the great "privacy" push. Bob
The privacy thing has its good and bad points. I finally traced my provedence back to the year 2000. The owner, twiced removed from me, bought his/my 1961 from ProTeam Corvette, but they will not give out any information. When I asked if they could at least contact the seller and ask if his name could be released, I got no more replies from them.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by vt65
please pm me also, i would like to get any additional info on my '65, best i have now is title from: Dec. 79 from Bill Banks Chevrolet in Mountain View MO., can anyone tell me if that dealership still exists? The car was purchased 5 years ago from a dealer in Ohio and brought into Canada by the person i bought it from, got a few gaps to fill in....
Nope, I don't believe there is still a new car dealership for Chevrolet in Mountain View. We get over in that direction a couple of times each year, the closest dealership for Chevy that I know is in Willow Springs. Don't find anything there in an internet search either.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by claf
Years ago I tried searching the history of my '62. This was before the great "privacy" push. I bought the car locally (Mass) from a man who bought it in Illinois and brought it back to Mass with a job transfer. I contacted the Ill DMV and for a modest sum they sent me copies of all previous titles. Yes, all TEN, of them from 1966 to 1974 . I sent all ten listed previous owners a personal letter asking for basically ANYTHING.

List of results ZERO. All ten either moved, died, went out of business, or just didn't want to be bothered. So with no details I at least found the names of owners and the history from 1966 to date. Seems the car started life somewhere other than Illinois and spent the first four years of its life elsewhere.

The odd thing is that the car and its 10 owners spent the eight years in the middle of its life within 15 miles of Chicago and when I bought it, it was a totally original car except for one poor repaint. Bob
My neighbor in Harvey, Illinois (20 miles south of Chicago) owned a 62 maroon fuel injected Corvette, and was the original owner.

If your car is a 62 maroon, fuel car let me know. It could possibly be his. I do not have a lot of info on car, but remember it well. It generally sat on the street in front of the house (2 doors away) since the fuel injection was acting up and he couldn't find anyone to fix it.

Larry
Old 12-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Patrick67
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

When I bought my '67 back in 1999, all I knew was that the car was originally from West Va. I called up the WVA Motor Vehicle Administration in Charleston and asked the lady about doing a title search for my car.

She said to download the form and send it in with $20 and they would send all the information they had on that VIN. Well, I couldn't believe it, they sent me a mountain of DMV documentation for my car from '67 to '72, including the original owner and selling dealership. She told me that their records went back 50 years at the time.

I got hold of this info from them in '99, before all the privacy laws...and it was WVA. I doubt if they would do that now. I've even talked to the original owner, who talked my ear off, he was really glad to see the car was still around!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:58 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
Nope, I don't believe there is still a new car dealership for Chevrolet in Mountain View. We get over in that direction a couple of times each year, the closest dealership for Chevy that I know is in Willow Springs. Don't find anything there in an internet search either.
thanks Ron for the comeback

Quick Reply: Researching car history