C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

461 and 462 heads. What is different?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:26 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts
No, but with a open mind, one can easily see if the casting numbers are all the same and this is how to identify different heads, it would be easy to grab a "X" head by habit. Production has done it the same way for years! Remember this was the "first year" there was an additional marking with the same casting number, and the identifier was located on the "opposite side". It would be extremely easy to miss..

rustylugnuts

Obviously, you're not familiar with the distinctive paint ID markings on the bare cast heads.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:54 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Obviously, you're not familiar with the distinctive paint ID markings on the bare cast heads.
Whatever you say!

rustylugnuts
Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,529 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Jim, I'm only quoting from the source from what was previously stated.
A lot of new information has become available in the 30 years since Noland published his first book. It'd be wise to take advantage of it.

If what your saying is true, reveal your source publication and we will ask for the NCRS, SACC historians to get involved. After this is verified to be authentic, Producing times dates, etc. this indicates changing the Corvette "Bible" into a new revision. You will be credited in the revised publication by name for your findings.
I don't post anything that I don't know to be true.

My information, which is considerably newer than yours, comes from sources that include NCRS and others.

Jim
Old 12-09-2009, 01:16 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
A lot of new information has become available in the 30 years since Noland published his first book. It'd be wise to take advantage of it.

I don't post anything that I don't know to be true.

My information, which is considerably newer than yours, comes from sources that include NCRS and others.

Jim

That's what I originally thought, heresay.

rustylugnuts
Old 12-09-2009, 01:19 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 163 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

That's what I originally thought, heresay.

rustylugnuts

ahhhhh
the great Oz has spoken
Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002

ahhhhh
the great Oz has spoken

I see, one ask for proof, one gets proof, now one finds himself in a awkward position because he cannot produce any proof on his behalf. Instead of having the embarrassment of having egg on his face, he answers like a politician. I'm now "The great Oz".....ha ha ha!!!

That's "Mr. Oz"...... and I thank you! This thread is dead, time to unsubscribe, have a good day, and Merry Christmas to all!

PEACE, rustylugnuts

Last edited by rustylugnuts; 12-09-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:47 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

[QUOTE=65tripleblack;1572365091]
Originally Posted by larrywalk

All heads manufactured by GM with 2.02 intakes were machined especially for them. GM NEVER sent any heads with 2.02 intake valves out the door unless the chambers around the intakes were plunge cut.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sorta.
This ONLY applies to the 61-70 heads with 2.02 valves. In 1971, the combustion chambers were increased to ~76cc, thus, the 71-later heads with the bigger chambers and 2.02 valves were NOT unshrouded around the intake valve (because they were already unshrouded by way of the larger chamber).

Tom Parsons
Old 12-09-2009, 08:09 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

[QUOTE=DZAUTO;1572379932]
Originally Posted by 65tripleblack

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sorta.
This ONLY applies to the 61-70 heads with 2.02 valves. In 1971, the combustion chambers were increased to ~76cc, thus, the 71-later heads with the bigger chambers and 2.02 valves were NOT unshrouded around the intake valve (because they were already unshrouded by way of the larger chamber).

Tom Parsons

2.02/1.60 valves began in 1964

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-09-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:54 AM
bowtyebob
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost feel like apologizing for my query about the physical differences between 461 and 462 heads. It seems that there are a lot of 'opinions', but from what I can determine, very little factual data. I can understand the maching to unshroud the 2.02 intake valve on either a 461 or 462, however a difference in the actual castings is still unknown to me. One post stated that the spark plug hole was 1/8 in lower in the 461x. Hmm. Interesting. That would be a significant casting difference, but still doesn't fully address the issue of my question. I do not have a set of both castings to compare, but I doubt this 'fact'. As cast, my understanding is that BOTH heads had approximately 64CC combustion chambers. Even my machinest claims that 461s had a 62CC combustion chamber and 462's had 67 which I know is NOT true. Intake and/or exhaust runner/port volume remains a mystery. I am beginning to suspect that the ONLY difference is the date of the casting mold itself and that the resulting castings were identical. Is it possible that the actual difference is no longer known?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM
bowtyebob
Instructor

OOPs and hold on. Post #11 seems to quite possibly have the most correct answer. Upon closer inspection, the combustion chamber immediately below the spark plug in the 462 head is relieved as a quench area. In the 461 this area in not relieved and is an obvious squish area. ....and it 'appears' that the spark plug hole is somewhat lower. This would indicate that the cumbustion chabber capacity may be smaller in the 461, possibly as much as a couple CCs. (62CCs vs 64)
Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 PM
bowtyebob
Instructor

OK, so now that the little known difference between 461 aand 462 heads (intake runner/port capacity aside) may be known the question as to 'why' the change. The 461 head, with it's squish area immediately below the spark plug and subsequent increased combustion chamber turbulence would seem to be superior in performance, but because of post-war automotive fuel (with the exception of avgas and Amoco Superior Premium, both of which NEVER contained tetraethylead), the build up of carbon and ESPECIALLY lead fouling in that area of the head and on the piston may have promoted detonation initiated within that (tight) squish area. The increased volume and reduction of size of the squish area in the 462 head could/would(?) have reduced that problem in higher mileage engines. Today's non-leaded fuel would most likely negate the necessity of that casting change.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:32 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

[QUOTE=65tripleblack;1572380202]
Originally Posted by DZAUTO

2.02/1.60 valves began in 1964
And that is exactly correct! I should have said 64-70!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:36 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by bowtyebob
I almost feel like apologizing for my query about the physical differences between 461 and 462 heads. It seems that there are a lot of 'opinions', but from what I can determine, very little factual data. I can understand the maching to unshroud the 2.02 intake valve on either a 461 or 462, however a difference in the actual castings is still unknown to me. One post stated that the spark plug hole was 1/8 in lower in the 461x. Hmm. Interesting. That would be a significant casting difference, but still doesn't fully address the issue of my question. I do not have a set of both castings to compare, but I doubt this 'fact'. As cast, my understanding is that BOTH heads had approximately 64CC combustion chambers. Even my machinest claims that 461s had a 62CC combustion chamber and 462's had 67 which I know is NOT true. Intake and/or exhaust runner/port volume remains a mystery. I am beginning to suspect that the ONLY difference is the date of the casting mold itself and that the resulting castings were identical. Is it possible that the actual difference is no longer known?
The more time you spend on the forum. The more you will see these kinds of disagreements on all kinds of issues. Thats what happens with so many "experts". They can't handle being told or challenged that they are wrong.Then it becomes personal. And their little feelings get hurt. Losing the original intent of the post.
In the end, most opinions were right. You have to pick and choose the info sometimes. Given that, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better source of Corvette info than the forum. If you really want the true details, do a bit of google surfing. Most if not all of this information is available in many,many articles. It's all there. Just spend the time to browse. I found it. I just don't have the desire or energy to repeat it all here.too much typing and my hard drives crashed wiping out my favorites menu. (Therefore no links available)

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 12-10-2009 at 01:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OLDED (08-14-2018)
Old 12-10-2009, 02:41 PM
bowtyebob
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
The more time you spend on the forum. The more you will see these kinds of disagreements on all kinds of issues. Thats what happens with so many "experts". They can't handle being told or challenged that they are wrong.Then it becomes personal. And their little feelings get hurt. Losing the original intent of the post.
In the end, most opinions were right. You have to pick and choose the info sometimes. Given that, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better source of Corvette info than the forum. If you really want the true details, do a bit of google surfing. Most if not all of this information is available in many,many articles. It's all there. Just spend the time to browse. I found it. I just don't have the desire or energy to repeat it all here.too much typing and my hard drives crashed wiping out my favorites menu. (Therefore no links available)
I thoroughly agree. It seems that there are quite a lot of shall we say, misinformed 'experts' that tend to have their 'knowlege' or expetise challenged. I have put together more than a couple 327's (and other 'small block' 1st gen engines), but hardly consider myself an expert. Seemed to me that my 461 462 query was simple enough and it was ....interesting(?) to see so many posts that were so far off my initial post and all of the misinformation that was subsequently posted.
All that was required was for me to take a GOOD look at and compare the combustion chambers of a 461 to those of a 462 and the solution to the mystery became apparent.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I thoroughly agree. It seems that there are quite a lot of shall we say, misinformed 'experts' that tend to have their 'knowlege' or expetise challenged. I have put together more than a couple 327's (and other 'small block' 1st gen engines), but hardly consider myself an expert. Seemed to me that my 461 462 query was simple enough and it was ....interesting(?) to see so many posts that were so far off my initial post and all of the misinformation that was subsequently posted.
All that was required was for me to take a GOOD look at and compare the combustion chambers of a 461 to those of a 462 and the solution to the mystery became apparent.
I agree too. By the way, how did you determine what was correct and what wasn't?

And you still don't have the rest of the story on comparing those two heads.

As far as discussing any given subject at length with differing opinions of what's right, what's not so right, I've never met the guy that knows it all and that goes for those involved in this thread.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:54 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

I agree too. By the way, how did you determine what was correct and what wasn't?

As far as discussing any given subject at length with differing opinions of what's right, what's not so right, I've never met the guy that knows it all and that goes for those involved in this thread.
So far JohnZ would be top dog in the knowledge dept.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 12-10-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

OOPs and hold on. Post #11 seems to quite possibly have the most correct answer. Upon closer inspection, the combustion chamber immediately below the spark plug in the 462 head is relieved as a quench area. In the 461 this area in not relieved and is an obvious squish area. ....and it 'appears' that the spark plug hole is somewhat lower. This would indicate that the cumbustion chabber capacity may be smaller in the 461, possibly as much as a couple CCs. (62CCs vs 64)
And who was the genius who contributed post #11? What the hell does he know, anyway?

BTW: That information, along with photos and explanations is contained in what I consider the Bible, for porting SBC heads: David Vizard's "How to Build and Modify Chevrolet Small-Block V-8 Cylinder Heads"

http://books.google.com/books?id=mm8...age&q=&f=false

SEE page 10 of the above. If you would like pictures of 461 v 462 chambers, I'll see if I can find some.

Because of his good advice, and with much practice, I have been able to safely achieve inlet flows of 250 cfm and exhaust flows of close to 200 cfm (verified on SuperFlow 1020/1200 flow benches)out of a good set of 461 heads.

A link to one of my flow tests:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...FlowData_1.jpg

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-10-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 461 and 462 heads. What is different?

Old 12-10-2009, 05:33 PM
bowtyebob
Instructor

By actually taking a good look at the combustion chambers on both a 461 and a 462. See posts 11 and mine on post 51. Check em out.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:34 PM
bowtyebob
Instructor

By actually taking a good look at the combustion chambers on both a 461 and a 462. See posts 11 and mine on post 51. Check em out.
Make thar posts 11 and 50
Old 12-10-2009, 05:49 PM
bowtyebob
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
And who was the genius who contributed post #11? What the hell does he know, anyway?

BTW: That information, along with photos and explanations is contained in what I consider the Bible, for porting SBC heads: David Vizard's "How to Build and Modify Chevrolet Small-Block V-8 Cylinder Heads"

http://books.google.com/books?id=mm8...age&q=&f=false

SEE page 10 of the above. If you would like pictures of 461 v 462 chambers, I'll see if I can find some.

Because of his good advice, and with much practice, I have been able to safely achieve inlet flows of 250 cfm and exhaust flows of close to 200 cfm (verified on SuperFlow 1020/1200 flow benches)out of a good set of 461 heads.

A link to one of my flow tests:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...FlowData_1.jpg
My final post on this subject AND in defense of post #11.
All the documentation, opinions, published numbers etc. are good for a start, however nothing is more definitive than looking at the casting numbers of a 461 AND a 462 then and turning each one over and actually looking at combustion chambers of both. I did not verify the port/runner volumes, but #11 was and is spot on. My eyes EASILY saw the difference between the two once that post indicated what I should have seen earlier.

Quick Reply: 461 and 462 heads. What is different?