C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best LS crate engine deal??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 11:43 PM
vettnut
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Best LS crate engine deal??

Where have some of you found your best deal on LS crate engines? I recently found an LS6 crate engine missing intake, water pump, has the CTS oil pan, 1 year warranty all for $3250.00. No response from owner/dealer? yet. Or, Buy a complete LS6 crate engine for $5331.00 from Crate Engine Depot. Anyone else?? DG

Last edited by vettnut; 12-27-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought what was probably the same LS6 engine direct from GM. My understanding though is they are getting harder to come by and perhaps dealers are upping the price.

I paid less then the $3250 as I have an account with GM but actually that's not a bad price if it includes delivery as well. They currently have no ETA on when they will be available again but some dealers stockpiled some and if your dealer calls around they can find them.

Pick up a used LS6 intake, fuel rails, injectors, coils and packs off Fleabay and a Waterpump and slap a cam and springs in there and with a decent exhaust you will be rocking. Or drop a Carb/Intake on it. Whichever you prefer.

Last edited by 78Vette-SA; 12-27-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:48 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 78Vette-SA
I recently bought what was probably the same LS6 engine direct from GM. My understanding though is they are getting harder to come by and perhaps dealers are upping the price.

I paid less then the $3250 as I have an account with GM but actually that's not a bad price if it includes delivery as well. They currently have no ETA on when they will be available again but some dealers stockpiled some and if your dealer calls around they can find them.

Pick up a used LS6 intake, fuel rails, injectors, coils and packs off Fleabay and a Waterpump and slap a cam and springs in there and with a decent exhaust you will be rocking. Or drop a Carb/Intake on it. Whichever you prefer.

very nice set up man. you will love it in the car.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:46 PM
vettnut
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How much to complete this engine? Have you priced it out. A new complete LS6 with the same CTS pan is $5200.00. The dealer told me he would throw in the Low profile LS1 pan for the 3250.
Thanks
DG
Old 12-29-2009, 07:02 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That depends. You can pickup used (There are a lot of guys on the C5 forum upgrading) a good LS6 intake and fuel rails and coil packs and brackets probably for about $600-700 total with injectors.

I've got a Z06 Throttle body sitting here you could have for $75. Then you just need a Mass Air Flow sensor (if going that route and not Speed Density - I prefer the MAF for ease of tuning and the temperature and barametric changes in these parts) and no matter what you would need pulleys/belt, motor mounts, and exhaust.

Most of the Motor you can probably have done for around $4k. The rest of the parts, engine harness ifyou don't modify your own, PCM, motor mounts, exhaust, clutch conversion, etc. at least another $2 -3k plus. So for somewhere between (estimating high and shopping for used parts) between a total of $6-8k or so you could have yourself a rockin' brand new LS6 in that puppy. If you then wanted to throw a 5 speed behind it well then add another $3k.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM
gas1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello I bought a new LS1 for my 67 from here http://www.sommersracing.net/Catalog...ngines_13.aspx Worked out great. Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Best LS crate engine deal??

Quick Reply: Best LS crate engine deal??