C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How much for a good paint job??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:23 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
I forgot about that expense damm now I lost money
Old 01-26-2010, 10:23 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
No magazine cover cars(doesn't mean **** to me), however, I have restored 2 cars that both received best of show at 2 different Super Chevy Shows as well as cars that have gotten 1st place trophies in at least 20 shows. What's your point?????: I don't judge finished products by trophies, I judge them by quality of the completely product.
Wow 2 cars ? you are on your way to fame !!!! you go man
Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Wow 2 cars ? you are on your way to fame !!!! you go man
Not 2 cars, 2 cars that were judged better than the other 2000 that were there, not including several others that have 1st place trophies in smaller competitions. Is there a reason you're being such a pr!ck about this? As far as I'm concerned, charge $100K for a paint job. It's your customers you're screwing, not me.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:14 AM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Paul, I contacted you last fall and you quoted me $16k for paint. Have your rates changed recently? What's the lead time right now?
Old 01-27-2010, 01:53 AM
Mike McCoy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can still hear old Earl in his New York twang, "I'll paint any car, any color for only $19.95, no ups and no extras!" Circa 1955.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:48 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i've watched this thread this evening and now am compelled to post.

nobody will know. as these cars get older the history gets more murky. i stripped my 64 coupe down to the origonal glass. it took about a month with CAPTIAN LEE's. it just had the that was only stripping, not repaing fiberglass damaging. I have work on my pantera restoratiion

it is done it is fast. but
Old 01-27-2010, 08:14 AM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fullcontrol
Paul, I contacted you last fall and you quoted me $16k for paint. Have your rates changed recently? What's the lead time right now?
Yes as stated my paint starts at 12k for a undamaged car minor bumps are included in that price. did your car require any panel replacement? that will increase the price . Sorry but I do not recall the quote . My lead time is bad right now booked solid till next winter. Thanks Paul
Old 01-27-2010, 10:05 AM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes as stated my paint starts at 12k for a undamaged car minor bumps are included in that price. did your car require any panel replacement? that will increase the price . Sorry but I do not recall the quote . My lead time is bad right now booked solid till next winter. Thanks Paul
Body on cart, bodywork done, ready for block, prime and paint. No doubt your work is top notch, but $16k was too high for this project. Maybe someday on a higher dollar car it will work out.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Glasshole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

16K to do a car that has been stripped, sanded and ready to paint is ridiculous. That should be about 5K. Most of the money should be in the disassembly/reassembly, stripping and body work. Blowing the paint on a few times and wet sanding in between takes what....a few days at most???

Bob
Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 AM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gl*******
16K to do a car that has been stripped, sanded and ready to paint is ridiculous. That should be about 5K. Most of the money should be in the disassembly/reassembly, stripping and body work. Blowing the paint on a few times and wet sanding in between takes what....a few days at most???

Bob
Your right that is very high But that is always a problem when you quote a job that you have never seen . I should stop estimating costs over the phone as they always turn into a problem .
Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 AM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fullcontrol
Body on cart, bodywork done, ready for block, prime and paint. No doubt your work is top notch, but $16k was too high for this project. Maybe someday on a higher dollar car it will work out.
That is a whole different story I know I am shooting myself in the foot but from what you describe that should be in the 6 k range providing there are no problems with the bodywork under the primer. Paul
Old 01-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

For what its worth. I have had two cars totally restored and painted by Paulywannafly. Both IMHO well worth the money. Nothing looks worse than an old car with the paint unloading off of it! Cheap work is not good and good work is not cheap. Peace...
Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Gman58
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Point

Lot of opinions within this post. There is no right or wrong. The job will cost what it costs. Greg
Old 01-27-2010, 11:42 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by 61retro
It's all about material and labor. A "scuff and shoot" can be done for way less money, and for some people it's acceptable. A quality paint job requires a lot of hours in preparation. I didn't get my paint brush last week, and I've been down the road many times, for many years, when it comes to painting cars. Just because it's a Corvette, does not make it "twice as much". What makes it cost more is "time", and materials. If you ever have a chance to help out with a full strip and paint, including disassembly, stripping, repairing, painting, buffing, and assembly, I think that you'll find that 150 hours is on the light side. Thats not "sitting around eating bon-bons" either.

HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!!

Thats what it all boils down to, is materials and somebody's time. Thats what gets the job done. People forget all about the price as soon as the problems start to surface because they didnt want to spend 10k and then when they are told, 'You get what ya paid for' line. Its all about Mercedes Benz quality at Yugo prices.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

That is a whole different story I know I am shooting myself in the foot but from what you describe that should be in the 6 k range providing there are no problems with the bodywork under the primer. Paul
Paul, no problem. I just thought you were too busy and threw out a high number to discourage me. I received estimates from local shops in the $5k to $7k range.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sixty4
For what its worth. I have had two cars totally restored and painted by Paulywannafly. Both IMHO well worth the money. Nothing looks worse than an old car with the paint unloading off of it! Cheap work is not good and good work is not cheap. Peace...

Quick Reply: How much for a good paint job??