C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Would you buy a C2 hitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 PM
66BBCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 118 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I believe that hitch pictured is the best hitch for the C2 - bolts to the rear diff carrier bolts and existing bumper bolts - no mar - no damage. My 66 had this hitch mounted in 66 to haul a Corvette powered ski boat - removed the hitch in 2002 - not a hint that it ever had a hitch and never a problem hauling that boat!

Last edited by 66BBCoupe; 02-02-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
I would not want to put a hitch on my '67 and don't recommend it for others. I had a hitch on my first '67 - a coupe, circa 1970. I pulled a light boat with it and had repeated wheel bearing problems even though the tongue weight was relatively light. Corvettes weren't designed to tow! Here's an old pic of the hitch:
I've been towing intermittently with mine for over 30 years, mostly a light trailer with a couple of Cushman scooters. I expect I may have wheel bearing problems one of these days . . . .

Old 09-17-2015, 11:59 PM
metscda
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy this hitch. It is clearly designed to provide access to the spare tire and uses the differential mounting bolts for solid frame connection. Have you been able to generate enough interest to get manufacturing interest?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:11 AM
1963GrayGray
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C1 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by VetteJohn
I'd like to have a hitch for my '66 so I'm going to contact some of the hitch manufacturers and see if I can talk them into making C2 hitches again. It would be helpful if I could get an idea as to how many people would be interested in this product.

Simply indicate in your responses if you'd like to buy a C2 hitch.
I see midyear trailer hitches for sale occasionally at flea markets.
In fact I have two for sale similar to the one in post one.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:58 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Stock C1s and C2s have enough torque and brakes to easily pull half their weight (maybe not the C1 sixes). This is one application where an automatic is MUCH better IMO.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:16 AM
metscda
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 1963GrayGray
I see midyear trailer hitches for sale occasionally at flea markets.
In fact I have two for sale similar to the one in post one.
Does similar mean same configuration? If so, what are you asking for them?
Old 09-19-2015, 05:24 PM
1963GrayGray
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C1 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by metscda
Does similar mean same configuration? If so, what are you asking for them?
They are the same as the photos. The only thing that I don't have is the
ball and small tabs that bolt to the differential.
I am asking $ 150 each. If interested, send me an email at gray63@comcast.net
I can sent a photo.

Dave
Old 09-19-2015, 07:43 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Not only pretty it also offers some Bumper protection. Al W.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:35 AM
BK58
Intermediate

Default Hitch for the C2

Gents,
I just have to unearth this thread.

Finished the restoration on my '65 this spring and the car runs great, have taken her for 3 long distance trips ( 2x Munich - Lake Garda and 1x Munich - Tuscany ) and many times to work through city traffic without problems. It was and always will be a daily driver for me in the salt free months.
However since we sort of inherited a dog this fall, luggage capacity will be a major issue come spring.

So I came upon this thread and the topic of a hitch which could solve a lot of problems. A hitch that's not too much of a hassle to mount and remove, enough for some light trailing, essentially just luggage, golf clubs ( not the dog ) etc.
During my internet search a thread from 2012 at the VCCA forum mentioned Eckler's carrying trailer hitches but I didn't find anything neither there nor at the other big names for Corvette parts.
Can somebody please point me in the right direction: Which set-up and where to buy?

The next question will then be if the German TÜV will accept such a contraption but first things first.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Happy holidays!

PS: Midyear goes Tuscany

Last edited by BK58; 12-18-2016 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

I recently bought a hitch like the OP off Craigslist for $110. Needs rechrome, but I just painted it. The consensus seems to be that that is the hitch to get. They come up for sale on occasion, usually for around $300 if they have nice chrome. I use it to tow dirt bikes.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Over the years I have had several Corvettes of which a few of them has holes in one or both of the rear bumpers, most just on one side or the other. Come to find out they were put on by the factory for a trailer hitch or they ran out of bumpers without holes and just grabbed what they had to so the production line would not stop. Anyway a couple years ago while heading to FL. to the NCRS Winter Event Brett and I were pulling my trailer with a car in it and parts and we passed a C3 Corvette pulling a car hauler flat bed trailer with a full size mid 60's car on it thru the hills between Nashville and Chattanooga. We had to pull over and let this crazy guy go by so we could see it again to make sure we were not seeing things and sure enough here he came. We could not believe our eyes. The car and the trailer the Vette was pulling had to weigh together 3 times what that C3 pulling them did. Talk about an CAZY that guy was NUTS.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:56 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
I thought I was the only nut that put a hitch on his vette, but I did one better I use to tow my 63 cp with my 63 -340 HP all original conv. I got some looks!!! I can't post pictuers so I put it with my post.
I used to tow my Super Stock Dodge with my 65 coupe...

Bill
Old 12-18-2016, 10:57 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by BK58
Gents,
I just have to unearth this thread.

Finished the restoration on my '65 this spring and the car runs great, have taken her for 3 long distance trips ( 2x Munich - Lake Garda and 1x Munich - Tuscany ) and many times to work through city traffic without problems. It was and always will be a daily driver for me in the salt free months.
However since we sort of inherited a dog this fall, luggage capacity will be a major issue come spring.

So I came upon this thread and the topic of a hitch which could solve a lot of problems. A hitch that's not too much of a hassle to mount and remove, enough for some light trailing, essentially just luggage, golf clubs ( not the dog ) etc.
During my internet search a thread from 2012 at the VCCA forum mentioned Eckler's carrying trailer hitches but I didn't find anything neither there nor at the other big names for Corvette parts.
Can somebody please point me in the right direction: Which set-up and where to buy?

The next question will then be if the German TÜV will accept such a contraption but first things first.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Happy holidays!

PS: Midyear goes Tuscany

Well i thought i had an answer for your as here in the States we have a moving truck/trailer company called U-Haul which builds custom trailer hitches for nearly any car. But I doubt U-Haul is in Bavaria. So my source info is not going to help you. But on the other had i'm sure you have trailer shops that fabricate their own trailers and could at least send you to the right fabrication shop. And ya know i read of European corvette friends getting bad parts (mostly engine parts) from less than honest vendor(s) aware of the shipping costs and legal limits selling those bad parts overseas. So what i'm saying is having a hitch fabricated locally may be the best option with the least risk though at first it looks expensive. Hey its just a hitch, not a space craft.

Good luck and please share with us what you find.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:51 AM
BK58
Intermediate

Gentlemen,
Thanks for all the helpful posts so far.
After finishing a complete nut and bolt restoration fabricating a trailer hitch here in Munich would not be a problem at all however we unfortunately have a two quasi governmental agencies ( TUEV and DEKRA ) in Germany which basically do all the mandatory biannual inspections and have the last word in deciding whether or not you get your car recognized as a historical vehicle.
The historical status makes a huge difference because only historical vehicles are exempt from the strict anti-pollution legislation in the major cities and also because the annual taxes we pay for our cars are calculated depending on cubic inches with a greatly reduced rate for historical cars.
So if you want to put something as "outlandish" as a trailer hitch on a C2 to it would help immensely to use contemporary parts and have some sort of documentation ( pictures, catalogs etc. ) to prove that this was actually a contemporary accessory.
If I would drive down any given Street in Munich with my C2 and actually trailer something behind the car it would take all of five seconds before the police would pull me over, plus, and this is even worse, my insurance coverage would be gone up in smoke making it completely illegal to operate the car on German roads unless the TUEV had given it's OK.
You just don't know how good you have it in the states when it comes to modifications on your cars !!
I'll keep you posted.
Boris
PS: Dave you have a PM
PS2: Does somebody have contemporary pictures of a midyear towing something or maybe a page from a contemporary catalog ( should be at least 30 years old ) where a trailer hitch was offered as an accessory?

Quick Reply: Would you buy a C2 hitch