C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Lubing a 1961

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Default Lubing a 1961

I'm driving my '61 more and more now and there are a few folks on the forum whose advice I take pretty much as gospel. Tom Parson's says lubing the chassis at 1,000 mile intervals is mandatory. Seems excessive but I'll go with it based on his experience. Last lube job I played detective trying to find all the places to lubricate the car.

Where is the best depiction of the lube points and are there any zerk fittings that should be added anywhere ? I believe some folks have added one on the clutch Z-bar....
Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I'm driving my '61 more and more now and there are a few folks on the forum whose advice I take pretty much as gospel. Tom Parson's says lubing the chassis at 1,000 mile intervals is mandatory. Seems excessive but I'll go with it based on his experience. Last lube job I played detective trying to find all the places to lubricate the car.

Where is the best depiction of the lube points and are there any zerk fittings that should be added anywhere ? I believe some folks have added one on the clutch Z-bar....
Frank,

Best to add the Zerk to the Z-bar when you have the bar out. I know people use the "grease the drill bit" method to contain the amount of cuttings from getting into the shaft, but it only takes one small piece of errant steel cutting to screw up the whole purpose of installing the Zerk.

A good time to have done it, was when you had the 5 speed installed............

John

Last edited by Plasticman; 03-28-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Frank,

A good time to have done it, was when you had the 5 speed installed............

John
No kidding John....

I learn everything about these C1s about 30 days after the knowledge would have done me some good..

Frank
Old 03-28-2010, 11:35 AM
vette61
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Frank,
Page 0-7 of the ST-12 manual shows the lube points. But like you said it still takes detective work to fine them.
Mike
Old 03-28-2010, 08:11 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

No kidding John....

I learn everything about these C1s about 30 days after the knowledge would have done me some good..

Frank
1000 miles for sure in the service manual for 53/62 it shows all lubrication points! I know the seller of my c1 cleaned the underside so good that there could not have been grease found out real fast !!! gone now after full grease job, and as far as learning about a c1 it never seems to end , know a wrench well is the rule i guess
Old 03-28-2010, 10:27 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

On 53-62 Vette frontends, if it is a joint, it has a grease fitting------------some where!
Upper-lower A-frame inner shafts-1 fitting on each end (8).
Upper-lower A-frame outer shafts-1 fitting per shaft (4).
Kingpin/bushings-2 fittings per spindle (4).
Tierod ends-1 fitting on each end (4).
Drag link-2 fittings (2).
MOST U-joints-1 fitting each joint (2).
Total-24 grease fittings.
YES!!! It is important to grease these frontends frequently, because ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL joints are metal-to-metal! There are NO rubber bushings or ball joints.
If you keep them greased, they will probably outlast all of us.

And here are a couple of examples of what can happen when not regularly greased.
This is a kingpin which was seized in the bushing, and the bushing had seized in the spindle bore.

BADLY worn upper-inner shaft end.

Badly worn lower-outer shaft and bushing.

With this kind of wear, especially if several joints have significant wear, the frontend alignment/geometry is constantly changing.

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 03-28-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:39 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Can't remember ('62 at shop being painted), but doesn't the third arm have a grease fitting at the main bearing ?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:14 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Nope, the third arm bearing is just packed in grease. I always just use a sealed bearing when I replace one. The bushings will last almost forever if they are kept lubed, but once they go dry, they will be toast in short order. It is not that uncommon to find original 50 year old bushings that are still like new when a car has been kept greased!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

There are 14 grease fittings on the front end. See pages 55 & 57 in the Assembly Manual.
John
Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Thanks DZAuto and others....now that I'm putting miles on the car maintenance on the original components is nearly a part time job...
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Can't remember ('62 at shop being painted), but doesn't the third arm have a grease fitting at the main bearing ?
As ORIGINALLY equiped from the factory, the big bearing for the center steering arm was NOT a sealed bearing and was packed in grease (as already mentioned). BUT, there are (OR WERE) replacement bearings that had a seal on each side and were permanently greased. This bearing is becoming increasingly difficult to find--------------AND EXPENSIVE. On ocassion, a person can find a good deal on this center steering arm bearing--------------------AND SURPRISINGLY, THEY PASS UP THE OPPORTUNITY TO BUY ONE!!!!
I have 3 spares on the shelf-------------no, none of them are for sale. But if anyone who owns, AND DRIVES, their 53-62 Vette frequently, this would be a part to acquire and store for the future.

Tom Parsons
Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow 24 fittings! I knew their were a lot and always greased them once a year when I changed the oil and adjusted the brakes.I had the king pins replaced about six years ago.Two years ago I went with JMR IFS,now i only have four fittings to grease.

Picture of old IFS with JMR IFS on the floor:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot.../ppuser/347394
Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I don't have a lift at home so I wind up walking around with the service tech under the car at my favorite garage with the ST-12 in hand showing him what to hit with the lube gun...

Tedious but then I know everything gets greased...so far, judging by this thread, I'm not forgetting anything.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by C-1 Generation 2
Wow 24 fittings! I knew their were a lot and always greased them once a year when I changed the oil and adjusted the brakes.I had the king pins replaced about six years ago.Two years ago I went with JMR IFS,now i only have four fittings to grease.

Picture of old IFS with JMR IFS on the floor:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot.../ppuser/347394
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, I love candy apples. That color makes me want to take a bite of your 62!

Tom Parsons
Old 03-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Blacksburg Hokie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vette61
Frank,
Page 0-7 of the ST-12 manual shows the lube points. But like you said it still takes detective work to fine them.
Mike

Hey guys, what is the ST-12 manual? Is this part of the service manual?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:42 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Blacksburg Hokie

Thanks!
If you own a 53-62 Vette, this is THE very first manual that needs to be in your library!
It is readily available from ANY of the aftermarket Corvette vendors.

Tom Parsons
Old 03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Blacksburg Hokie

Thanks!
There is a picture of it Tim (middle of the top row); I have found the manuals in the picture will let an amateur do just about any job that he has the tools and nerve to tackle. A nice addition are the Dr. Rebuild laminated wiring diagrams - lifesavers! The AIM (assembly manual) is now available on CD-ROM from Wilcox and also VERY useful

I also stumbled across a maintenance manual for the TriCo windshield washer and wiper system I picked up on eBay that has some info I've never found anywhere else..

Frank
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-29-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lubing a 1961

Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Blacksburg Hokie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a picture of it Tim (middle of the top row); I have found the manuals in the picture will let an amateur do just about any job that he has the tools and nerve to tackle. A nice addition are the Dr. Rebuild laminated wiring diagrams - lifesavers! The AIM (assembly manual) is now available on CD-ROM from Wilcox and also VERY useful

I also stumbled across a maintenance manual for the TriCo windshield washer and wiper system I picked up on eBay that has some info I've never found anywhere else..

Frank
Thanks, Frank. I will order one today. I previously took your advice on the Dr. Rebuild wiring diagrams. They are terrific!

Tim
Old 03-30-2010, 11:19 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't have a lift at home so I wind up walking around with the service tech under the car at my favorite garage with the ST-12 in hand showing him what to hit with the lube gun...

Tedious but then I know everything gets greased...so far, judging by this thread, I'm not forgetting anything.
Frank you should invest in a battery powered grease gun and do it your self. Do it on your time, and no more trips to the garage.

I don't have a lift (whimper whimper) and the last few years I have been averaging about 5,000 miles per year on my 60. Thats 5 lube jobs per season. I know you have the ramps, stands, technical know how, weeell at least enough to be able to push the button on the grease gun!

The toughest fitting to find and service is the front driveshaft grease fitting.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by stratplus
Frank you should invest in a battery powered grease gun and do it your self. Do it on your time, and no more trips to the garage.

I don't have a lift (whimper whimper) and the last few years I have been averaging about 5,000 miles per year on my 60. Thats 5 lube jobs per season. I know you have the ramps, stands, technical know how, weeell at least enough to be able to push the button on the grease gun!

The toughest fitting to find and service is the front driveshaft grease fitting.
And, with that said, if you're going to do it yourself (and I do EVERYTHING myself except paint/body work), have a good supply of rags handy to wipe off the excess which squeezes out. Some joints will take grease easier/faster than others, so be prepared for grease to squeeze out quickly at some joints.

Tom Parsons

Quick Reply: Lubing a 1961