C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What does "survivor" mean?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Default What does "survivor" mean?

In my search for an old Corvette I notice many descriptions say "survivor". What does that mean?
If it exsists aren't they all survivors? Does it mean unrestored or original condition or just mean running condition? Or is it just a comfy term people use to say it's old?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:46 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiophobe
In my search for an old Corvette I notice many descriptions say "survivor". What does that mean?
If it exsists aren't they all survivors? Does it mean unrestored or original condition or just mean running condition? Or is it just a comfy term people use to say it's old?
to me "survivor" means factory built and in factory condition, with original paint, excluding maintenance items depending on mileage...jmo...
White Monster
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

In my opinion, a "survivor" is an unrestored vehicle with original stock components still on the car, that has not been messed with in any way.

But obviously, the term will mean many different things to different people, just as "frame off" and "numbers matching" do.

Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

survivor is a trademark term used by Bloomington. it means to them that the car is all original and unrestored with only a few wear items replaced. but its one of the most over used terms in the Corvette hobby.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
survivor is one of the most over used terms in the Corvette hobby.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:24 PM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The NCRS has an award classification for "survivors" called "Bowtie" for cars that are substantially original ...with the same chrome, paint, upholstery, engine, etc that came from the factory, never having been restored (repainted, rechromed, etc), but only "maintained". Here is their description:

'The judged section requires an 80 to 85% pass with the following standard "Does the item, part, fabric, plating or coating appear to actually be that which was specifically installed or applied on this car at the time of manufacture". If this is successfully passed the vote with the following standard "Does the area judged display significant educational and historical value which should be preserved in its present condition" is taken. Passing both sections in all four areas earns the NCRS - Chevrolet Bowtie award. As of end of the 2007 season, only 190 Corvettes have received this award.'

Any given Corvette can only be considered for the Bowtie award once (because it can never get any more "original" than it is... except by exchanging parts with another car, but in the first judging it was already documented as NOT being original).
Old 03-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It's simply the car's favourite all original numbers matching frame off TV show.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I know you are looking hard for a C1 but I don't think a survivor is what you want unless you intend to keep it in that status and not drive it much. You will almost surely want to upgrade and 'freshen up' bits and pieces if you want a regular cruiser.....its sort of a shame to do that to a true survivor car.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:22 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
It's simply the car's favourite all original numbers matching frame off TV show.
..good one...
Old 03-31-2010, 06:40 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

It means "numbers matching"
Old 03-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hell, I'm a survivor. I've got most of my original parts, but more than a couple have been replaced due to wear and tear, and installed by professionals. Do I get a prize? Is there one for outstanding liver!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Tempus_Fugit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at a local car show last weekend. From reading the signs people put on their cars, if it sits on 4 wheels and needs absolutely everything, then it's a survivor.

Hey...wait a minute, I too own a survivor!

Seriously, I think the Bloomington(tm) definition of Survivor(tm), is the car needs to have at least 2/3 original to qualify: motor, interior, paint.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I know you are looking hard for a C1 but I don't think a survivor is what you want unless you intend to keep it in that status and not drive it much. You will almost surely want to upgrade and 'freshen up' bits and pieces if you want a regular cruiser.....its sort of a shame to do that to a true survivor car.
As I am learning more I agree. These cars are old enough that there are restos that are 20 or more years that are in pretty good shape. I bet some of them are called survivors.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Tempus_Fugit
I was at a local car show last weekend. From reading the signs people put on their cars, if it sits on 4 wheels and needs absolutely everything, then it's a survivor.

Hey...wait a minute, I too own a survivor!

Seriously, I think the Bloomington(tm) definition of Survivor(tm), is the car needs to have at least 2/3 original to qualify: motor, interior, paint.
....actually, it's 3 out of 4;exterior, interior, chassis & engine compartment. Car must be 20yrs old and complete a 20 mile trip under it's own power. I have two 5 Star Bowtie cars in which both have earned Bloomington Gold "Survivor", a 1968 Silver Coupe w/44,000 original miles & a 1974 Orange Coupe w/47,000 original miles.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

As I am learning more I agree. These cars are old enough that there are restos that are 20 or more years that are in pretty good shape. I bet some of them are called survivors.

A lot more than most know. A few years ago, there were questions about some original C2 interiors that were in fact replacements made in the '70s. But now these replacement interiors were older (25 years) than the originals had been when they were replaced. (13 years)

As time goes on, there will be fewer and fewer who know original from first generation restoration ('70s), second generation restoration (late '80s), and third generation restoration (2000s).
Old 03-31-2010, 11:17 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

"Non gratum anus rodentum" If you belonged to this elite fraternity, you are truly a survivor of the highest order.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
"Non gratum anus rodentum" If you belonged to this elite fraternity, you are truly a survivor of the highest order.
For the uninitiated: http://wingman.dier.us/articles/tunlrat.htm

Get notified of new replies

To What does "survivor" mean?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:41 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I suspect most here have no clue, even more could care less and the rest won't bother to look up the meaning.
NO, I was not a TR, but I AM a surviving Nam vet.

Tom Parsons
Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 AM
White Monster
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I AM a surviving Nam vet.
Thanks for serving Tom !
Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I suspect most here have no clue, even more could care less and the rest won't bother to look up the meaning.
NO, I was not a TR, but I AM a surviving Nam vet.

Tom Parsons
I dunno Tom...you're awful cynical my friend. Two years ago I was in downtown Orlando in my pickup truck and this young black guy in a Lexus kept trying to get up to me at a stoplight. I thought maybe I cut him off and he was pissed or some other nonsense... He finally eased up beside me and rolled down his window and I was ready for a verbal blast. He says, "Are you a veteran ?" and points to my American Legion window sticker. I said, "Yes, Vietnam-era vet". He replies, "I just wanted to thank you..."

I then remembered it was Veteran's Day ... you coulda knocked me over with a feather.

Frank

Quick Reply: What does "survivor" mean?