C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 Dome light malfunction-help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 AM
427hickey
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 Dome light malfunction-help

My 1965 coupe's dome light now stays on with both doors closed and the headlight **** turned off (dialed down to dim). When I turn the headlight **** to the right to increase the interior lights, the dome light (which is already on) gets brighter. I don't find any plungers or actuating switches on the doors or door jambs.

What can I do to fix this?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

From what you describe, this problem just started?

The plungers are normally in the door jamb under the top door hinge. Are they missing all together?

It's possible they need to be readjusted.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
From what you describe, this problem just started?

The plungers are normally in the door jamb under the top door hinge. Are they missing all together?

It's possible they need to be readjusted.
You'll find the door switches in the above locations, but if the dome light gets brighter with by rotating the headlamp switch, I'd suspect a defective headlamp switch.

It won't hurt to try adjusting the door switches, grab the switch plungers with a pair of pliers (gentlyl!!) and pull the plungers out until they bottom out. When you shut the door(s) they'll automatically push the plungers in and properly adjust their positions. Try that first, before proceeding to the headlamp switch, where I suspect your problem lies.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
...but if the dome light gets brighter with by rotating the headlamp switch, I'd suspect a defective headlamp switch.
Good point Ron, the brightness of the dome lights is not suppose to be regulated by the headlight switch other than the ON/OFF feature.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:03 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Do your under-dash courtesy lights work? Photos below show the location of the plunger switches inside the upper door hinge pockets on each side, and DZ's photo of how the plunger switches work.
Attached Images   
Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
427hickey
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your responses...you all rock! I am out of town but will troubleshoot the problem when I get home. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 Dome light malfunction-help

Quick Reply: 1965 Dome light malfunction-help