C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Still trying to get Holley jetted right.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 AM
cmyc2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still trying to get Holley jetted right.

Went down two sizes in jets. Car still had a flat spot when giving it alot of gas to fast. Ran good if you did it slow. last night I went down two more sizes and now it runs real bad. Question is should I go up one size or go back up two and make other ajustments. What else should I do ? When yo make that big of a change do I need to ajust the float?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:16 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

The float level on a Holley is never affected by a change of jets. Once the level is set it should be OK unless it was altered by some outside event. Is it possible that you have the wrong power valve for you application. I would go back up the two sizes and work with something else on the carb to see if I could get the bog out.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:39 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Except for drastic elevation changes smaller/larger jets than original size are seldom necessary.

Power valve has to match camshaft (vacum) characteristics.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:42 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cmyc2
Went down two sizes in jets. Car still had a flat spot when giving it alot of gas to fast. Ran good if you did it slow. last night I went down two more sizes and now it runs real bad. Question is should I go up one size or go back up two and make other ajustments. What else should I do ? When yo make that big of a change do I need to ajust the float?
which holley?? ...need more info....if a vac secondary, trouble with diaphram or wrong spring....if mechanical, pump shot......
Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

If by flat spot, you mean stumble when you floor it, that's often the wrong secondary spring in a carb with vacuum operated secondaries. Going with a lighter spring cures that.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:59 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
If by flat spot, you mean stumble when you floor it, that's often the wrong secondary spring in a carb with vacuum operated secondaries. Going with a lighter spring cures that.
maybe im reading you wrong jeff but if too rich on the opening, i think he should go stronger??
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

So far, we have absolutely no information about what combination he's working with - engine, carb type, mods, current jet sizes, current power valve, etc. If we knew what he had, we could probably help him get to where he wants to be.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Astrodokk
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My Holley had a stumbling upon quick acceleration as well. We rebuilt it and noticed that the cam was severely worn out. I bought a new set (bunch of different colors) and used a new one of the same color that was on there. It fixed the problem.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:23 AM
cmyc2
Instructor

It seems to stumble before the secondaries open. No powervalve when I got it ,friend of mind put one in that he had . How do you know what valve to use . Are they numbered like jets? How how would I know to go up or down with the size. Hate to sound stupid but never worked on a carb before. Isn't working on it part of the fun of having an old vette? Thats the reason I gave my wife as to why I wanted and old vette more then a new one.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
aaronz28
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

well... without your combination, its hard to help.. but there is alot of wrong info in this thread.

first of all.... a stumble, or bog, when the secondaries open is generally because the secondaries are opening too soon... a lighter spring will only make that worse.

if the diaphragm is setup right, you shouldn't feel the "KICK IN ***" when the secondaries open...

98% of carb problems are in the timing LOL.

make sure you have enough advance.. that often cures what appears to be a carb stumble.

jetting...unless you are 10 sizes or more out... shouldn't in anyway create a bog or flat spot...

what you should do..., get the carb set back up as it was delivered...
correct jets... correct powervalve.. correct squirter, and correct cam..

make sure your timing is doing what it is supposed to do... i.e. 36-38 WOT advance, run full manifold vaccuum advance (if so equipped)

your power valve number should be about 1/2 of the idle vaccuum... so if you engine is making 12in HG at idle... you should use a 6.5 PV

the PV opens when the vaccuum drops below the numerical value... this does two things... MAINLY, if the engine starts to stall.. while idling, when the vaccuum drops below the PV rating, it will open and allow a little more fuel into the engine to keep it running...

and 2.. when you put the engine under load, the same thing happens... the PV opens and adds a little fuel to richen up the mixture...
in all reality, the actual size of the PV is not going to make much of a difference here, because the engine typically drops to Zero Manifold Vaccuum rather quickly under load... so a 6.5 vs 8.5 is not going to yield much of a difference as you accellerate.

If you don't have a timing issue... your problem probably lies in the Squirter and Pump Cam..

make sure that the pump cam arm is properly adjusted...there should be zero lash, and as soon as you graze the throttle,, you should see fuel dripping out of the squirters. if not... then you could be creating your lean spot there.

most holley's come with 25 or 28 squirters... depending on how much cam you have. .you might need a 31

having been down this road a million times... my bet is in the timing.

Best of Luck

A
Old 04-07-2010, 11:55 AM
mrruffhouser
Racer

Default Holley help

Suggest you get at least one good book like, Haynes 'Holley Carburetor Manual", #10225 at your parts store or online. This book will give you not only basic funamentals on most Holley carbureators, but rebuild, repair and tunning info. /there are several other good ones also-check Amozon.com
Holley has a good on-line site, plus you can call and talk with a tech live at #270-781-9741. Get your model # of the carb first, with is usually stamped on the side of the air horn so people can help you.
Search our Forum also for excellent information after you have the model #.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:11 PM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aaronz28
well... without your combination, its hard to help.. but there is alot of wrong info in this thread.

first of all.... a stumble, or bog, when the secondaries open is generally because the secondaries are opening too soon... a lighter spring will only make that worse.

if the diaphragm is setup right, you shouldn't feel the "KICK IN ***" when the secondaries open...

98% of carb problems are in the timing LOL.

make sure you have enough advance.. that often cures what appears to be a carb stumble.

jetting...unless you are 10 sizes or more out... shouldn't in anyway create a bog or flat spot...

what you should do..., get the carb set back up as it was delivered...
correct jets... correct powervalve.. correct squirter, and correct cam..

make sure your timing is doing what it is supposed to do... i.e. 36-38 WOT advance, run full manifold vaccuum advance (if so equipped)

your power valve number should be about 1/2 of the idle vaccuum... so if you engine is making 12in HG at idle... you should use a 6.5 PV

the PV opens when the vaccuum drops below the numerical value... this does two things... MAINLY, if the engine starts to stall.. while idling, when the vaccuum drops below the PV rating, it will open and allow a little more fuel into the engine to keep it running...

and 2.. when you put the engine under load, the same thing happens... the PV opens and adds a little fuel to richen up the mixture...
in all reality, the actual size of the PV is not going to make much of a difference here, because the engine typically drops to Zero Manifold Vaccuum rather quickly under load... so a 6.5 vs 8.5 is not going to yield much of a difference as you accellerate.

If you don't have a timing issue... your problem probably lies in the Squirter and Pump Cam..

make sure that the pump cam arm is properly adjusted...there should be zero lash, and as soon as you graze the throttle,, you should see fuel dripping out of the squirters. if not... then you could be creating your lean spot there.

most holley's come with 25 or 28 squirters... depending on how much cam you have. .you might need a 31

having been down this road a million times... my bet is in the timing.

Best of Luck

A
good info thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it bogs when the throttle is opened but recovers quickly the problem is likely an inadequate accellerator pump shot. Lean jetting can make it worse but I'd start with a larger squirter as Aaron suggested and go from there.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hesitation is usually caused by a lean mixture. I don't think going to leaner jetting will help. I had a bad hesitation in my 2818 Holley and I finally got rid of it by 1) adjusting the accelerator pump lever so the slightest movement of the throttle rod, caused the accelerator pump lever to move. 2) I also bought the cam kit from Holley. This seemed to make the biggest difference. I had a red cam existing, and after much experimenting with all the different colors, the green cam took the hesitation away the best. 3) I also changed out the squirter from a 25 to a 28.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:15 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by midyearvette
maybe im reading you wrong jeff but if too rich on the opening, i think he should go stronger??
Putting a lighter spring in my 65 largely cured my stumble, and allowed the secondaries to open more easily.

Maybe I solved the problem with the wrong repair though, since a Lars tuning paper I have from a few years ago says to tune your secondary opening rate you should go with a lighter spring until you get a stumble, then go one spring stiffer.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 PM
thevanshop@aol.com
Intermediate

accelerator pump.

Get notified of new replies

To Still trying to get Holley jetted right.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:19 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

check the LIST number on the front of the choke housing and look this number up on the holley website to find out what is the stock setup in this carb and go there first. very seldom are these specs far off. if you can not find the LIST number on the holley website post it here and someone will have the answer
Old 04-08-2010, 06:06 AM
cmyc2
Instructor

I went back up one size on the jets ,but didn't get a chance to try it last night. Hope to try after work today. I was trying to find a number on the carb so I could look it up ,but I don't know where to look. I have a Holley book that list all these numbers but it dosn't show where to find on the carb. Thanks for everyone trying to help.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
mrruffhouser
Racer

STOP fooling with your carburetor until you know what model you have.
Your most likely wasting your time and ours too. We're more than happy to try and help-but we have to have some information-like what model carb do you have?
It's stamped on the airhorn. Take off the air cleaner and it will be right above the gasket ridge for the air cleaner. It will be 4 numbers, many times followed by a dash and another number.
Come back when you have the number.

Last edited by mrruffhouser; 04-08-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Quick Reply: Still trying to get Holley jetted right.