C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

4 speed vs Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:23 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

We're dealing with 2 different questions here.

Which is the most valuable?
Which on do I like best?

The other question is what happens to the value of my car if I swap the transmission around. Actually that's an easy one. If you change from a PG to a 4-speed you drop the value of your car because it's no longer original. Now we have 3 choices to ponder on the value scale. Which is the most desirable (or valuable).

An original 4-speed
An original PG
An original PG that now has a 4-speed

Richard Newton
Old 07-11-2014, 06:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

An automatic in a C1/C2 ?

I can't think about it without throwing up in my mouth a little bit....just add another row of seats in the back and you can make an Impala....
Old 07-11-2014, 07:12 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtexas
Great bargain. You can convert to 4spd for $1k! OK $2k, still a bargain. I like my newly converted 4spd to PG. I'm not a performance driver. I bought the car because I liked the looks of it. I nearly purchased a 36 Ford with modern drive train and chromed out 53 flathead instead. The guy wan't too much though.
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
In a word ... yes. This has come up several times on the forum. Unless you have some monumentally rare car that has to keep its automatic for historical sake...or a 'hot-to-trot' buyer with health problems that can't shift....the price will be less.
I when thru this when I finished mine ,I had a choice to put it back to
the way it was born or go four speed ,I choose to restore the car for what it was .
I think its worth more putting it back to original then putting in a four speed .its a SD marking .
These power guilds were not beaten up nearly as bad as the 3 and four speed cars .In my case its working out have to go in for hip replacement soon ,left one for sure. Plus I did a conversion on my 57 Chevy in the 60 s and had nothing but trouble kept blowing rear ends.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:10 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

If you're going to go through all the trouble of changing a Powerglide to a stick at least add another gear. 5 or 6 speed Tremic is the way to go. They are so much more driver friendly than the old Muncie with the crappy stock shifter.

Last edited by biggd; 07-11-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I DO agree with those who have PG cars keeping them original. My '67 Chevelle SS had an automatic-to-Muncie conversion and no matter what I did it never seemed 100% right. Very acceptable when I was done with all the tweaks but not 100% like a factory 4 speed IMO.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

OP asks a question 4 years ago, and like the Energizer bunny it keeps ticking...
Old 07-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yup! another zombie thread...resurrected from the dead to prey on the living!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:26 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

I got pulled in there also.
I should check my dates better .Things do change with time
just think at that time you could almost afford a SWC .
Old 07-11-2014, 10:33 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see a downside in responding to older threads, it's fun!

I look at it differently growing up in the C-1 era. Muscle cars were just what the definition depicts; influence, force, strength, might, weight, sway and power as in sheer performance not to be confused with power steering, power breaks, power windows etc. I like to keep my automobiles separate. I really appreciate luxury cars and their refinements, they serve well in today’s market, buuuut there are no exceptions, if you’re looking for comfort & muscle it can be provided, hell they can put anything on today’s automobiles for the right price, but that doesn’t indicate correctness, just laziness in my book. For instance, I love many things in my life, keeping them separate allows me to appreciate each of their experiences and differences.
I appreciated manual or standard transmissions, it was what my father taught me to drive. Every Friday night we had our family gatherings at the dirt track, it was a blast everyone we know was there. I distinctly remember all race cars having manual transmissions. No air conditioning, power windows, cruise control etc., just plain power, and after the race was over for the drive home it was comfort and luxury buuuut never that confusing combination called Musclelux (sounds like a laxative).
As society is ever changing today, we are learning to cope with drastic changes buuuut I have the option to go back in time when I drive my 61 fuelie, it reminds me of a much simpler appreciated time in my life, finding myself going back more & more every week, it’s my nostalgic therapy.

Just my 2 cense.

rustylugnuts
Old 07-11-2014, 11:01 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

It would be nice if BOTH performance (with a manual tranny) and luxury could be bought in an American car------------------------but not today.
Recently, I guess the closest thing to having both is the Cadillac CTS 4dr sedan (or the wagon------my choice) with about a 550hp V8 and a 6sp tranny. But that car is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of my price range. But if I could afford it, that would be the car for me!

Last edited by DZAUTO; 07-11-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:54 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 1
No question manual tranny's are more expensive. Just go through the ebay listings and look at the price and not the details. Anytime you see a car priced $5-10k less than the others, look at the description. Its always turns out to be an automatic. Happens to me all the time.
Mike
These cars make ideal prospects to convert over to 5 speed manual. The difference in selling price between auto and factory manual trans equipped cars could easily cover the cost of conversion. The car becomes more fun to drive and remains 'original' (trans, etc. parts retained). .. Best of both worlds.

4 year old thread picks up where it left off..............it's all good!

Last edited by mrg; 07-11-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:59 PM
409/409
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
These cars make ideal prospects to convert over to 5 speed manual. The difference in selling price between auto and factory manual trans equipped cars could easily cover the cost of conversion. The car becomes more fun to drive and remains 'original' (trans, etc. parts retained). .. Best of both worlds.

4 year old thread picks up where it left off..............it's all good!
I changed my '66 from a PG to a 4 speed. It had the original PG but a CE block. I figured if it didn't have the original engine the original PG had little to do, if any, with the value of the car. You would be very hard pressed to tell it was changed (it would probably take an "expert") and I did it myself for $1500.00.
Everything works as it should and it does still have the original 3:36 posi.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Yup! another zombie thread...resurrected from the dead to prey on the living!
Still relevant. The opinions still hold as much value as when originally posted. But by all means walk all over FTF.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:56 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Great, now we gotta guy with a talking car.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Plastic Pig
Still relevant. The opinions still hold as much value as when originally posted. But by all means walk all over FTF.
Many do, its of no consequence in the big scheme of things..
Old 07-12-2014, 07:38 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rfn026
We're dealing with 2 different questions here.

Which is the most valuable?
Which on do I like best?

The other question is what happens to the value of my car if I swap the transmission around. Actually that's an easy one. If you change from a PG to a 4-speed you drop the value of your car because it's no longer original. Now we have 3 choices to ponder on the value scale. Which is the most desirable (or valuable).

An original 4-speed
An original PG
An original PG that now has a 4-speed

Richard Newton
Keep in mine the original carb dated is rare with the power guild ,the
2 inch exhaust and all the component's that hold it in place.
The neutral safety switch which is almost impossible to find. Very rare
A correct PG corvette is as time goes on is more desirable to the ageing baby boomers.
I have the original PG, and would sell it first that change it up.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

That is true...and often the kickdown linkage is made from "unobtanium".

I have gradually seen the vintage Mustang crowd embrace automatics as they age and the knees go out. Personally, I may sell my cars if it gets to that point - purely a personal thing though.

Get notified of new replies

To 4 speed vs Automatic

Old 07-12-2014, 11:41 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,295 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerouac
Just read this whole thread. Even though it spans a lot of years, it still reads like a single conversation. Here's my two cents: First off, anybody reading this thread that has an automatic should not give a damn what anybody says if they LOVE THEIR CAR. If you love your Corvette -- no matter WHAT it is -- that's ALL that counts. But the reason I prefer a 4-speed is this: when I let my engine rip -- when I let it roar from its throat -- it is depending on me to be part of the acceleration. It is willing to burst at its seams with power because it knows I will shift into the next gear at the EXACT instant it needs to go there and if I don't it will blow up. That communication -- that dialogue -- between my engine and me is the coolest part of my Corvette ownership.
Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Great, now we gotta guy with a talking car.
damnit, I wet my pants on this one,,,,,
Old 07-12-2014, 11:59 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 65hihp
damnit, I wet my pants on this one,,,,,
Hey ! automatics can make your engine talk ,and scream too.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:13 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,295 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerouac
Just read this whole thread. Even though it spans a lot of years, it still reads like a single conversation. Here's my two cents: First off, anybody reading this thread that has an automatic should not give a damn what anybody says if they LOVE THEIR CAR. If you love your Corvette -- no matter WHAT it is -- that's ALL that counts. But the reason I prefer a 4-speed is this: when I let my engine rip -- when I let it roar from its throat -- it is depending on me to be part of the acceleration. It is willing to burst at its seams with power because it knows I will shift into the next gear at the EXACT instant it needs to go there and if I don't it will blow up. That communication -- that dialogue -- between my engine and me is the coolest part of my Corvette ownership.
So, if it roars through its throat and you are a half second slow in the upshift and one of your pistons launches out of the case and up through your pretty blue hood, we better not hear you cursing your corvette that you love! It's all on you pal...

Quick Reply: 4 speed vs Automatic