C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

firestone vs michelin gold lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 AM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default firestone vs michelin gold lines

any comments on the Firestone FR380 vs the Michelin X offered by DiamondBack.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:17 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

geo65,
I bought the MichelinX redline radials from DiamondBack and installed them at the start of the driving season. In comparing them to Coker radials, all I can say is "WOW" They are a very smooth ride and look great.

Rick

Old 06-25-2010, 06:42 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

It simply depends on which of the basic tires you prefer. Diamondback merely uses quality tires, such as the two you named, and vulcanizes the red sidewall on those tires. It does not makes the tire from start to finish as cooker does with their tires (many of which are actually made for them by McCreary Tire). Cooker runs into problems because they use old molds using old technology. Diamondback purchases tires from tire makers who produce current day tires under higher standards.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Eugenio
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a set of BFG Red Lines from Coker and they were a nightmare. It cost me over $200. to balance them and still they looked like flinstone tires. These things had to take over 9 oz. of weights and still they were wobelly.
I'm actually looking at buying a set of michelins from blackdiamond.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I went with the Firestone's because they were available as OEM back in the day.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:26 PM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks, the reason I ask is because I received the Firestones in error. I had wanted the Michelin with the name removed. I originally had the same thought as you mentioned about the OE Name but I would never buy this tire over a michelin for any other car. Supplier is great and will do what ever I want...originality or a better tire....hmmm

I have Michelin x on now and they have about an inch wider tread which should look and perform better but will it be noticeable? Not sure what I'm gonna do.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:50 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicecal
I went with the Firestone's because they were available as OEM back in the day.
Are your gold lines really yellow or is that an adjustment I need to make on my monitor?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Are your gold lines really yellow or is that an adjustment I need to make on my monitor?
Taken at night , flash washed out the color a bit..they are gold
Old 06-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by geo65
thanks, the reason I ask is because I received the Firestones in error. I had wanted the Michelin with the name removed. I originally had the same thought as you mentioned about the OE Name but I would never buy this tire over a michelin for any other car. Supplier is great and will do what ever I want...originality or a better tire....hmmm

I have Michelin x on now and they have about an inch wider tread which should look and perform better but will it be noticeable? Not sure what I'm gonna do.
I'm kind of lost in your post.

I'm looking at purchasing a set of tires from Diamondback and am thinking it will be Michelin X since I run Michelin tires on just about all vehicles I've owned (very happy with all aspects of performance). Are you saying that the Firestones are an inch wider than the Michelin X tires or the Michelin are an inch wider than the Firestone tires?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:59 PM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

michelin are 1" wider than the Firestone at the point of road contact
Old 06-28-2010, 01:29 PM
xiaoman
Racer

Originally Posted by Revette
I'm kind of lost in your post.

I'm looking at purchasing a set of tires from Diamondback and am thinking it will be Michelin X since I run Michelin tires on just about all vehicles I've owned (very happy with all aspects of performance). Are you saying that the Firestones are an inch wider than the Michelin X tires or the Michelin are an inch wider than the Firestone tires?
hello,
i personally like the look of the firestone as it is about as close as one can get to an old school looking tire in a radial (my 360s are smooth both sides...380s a liitle different but wth the larger firestone logo) , i have the firestone logo on mine painted gold and like the "old" look ..black-wall only
regars, xiaoman
Old 06-28-2010, 05:56 PM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

yes, I see your point with the firestone tires and I was tempted but they are on their way back--went with Michelin. If anyone wants a set 205/75/15 with no wait try calling Diamondback.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:24 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

wouldn't own a french tire...michilen but more importantly I have had nothing but trouble with michilens I have owned in the past on driver cars.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 AM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1driver
wouldn't own a french tire...michilen but more importantly I have had nothing but trouble with michilens I have owned in the past on driver cars.
I installed Michelin Exalto 215 55 17's on our 59 restomod. Ride, balance, look and handling is excellent. Tires were produced in Germany as noted on sidewall.

Don't waste money and time on anything other than Diamondback for vintage tires, especially XXXXXX's.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 AM
xiaoman
Racer

Originally Posted by geo65
any comments on the Firestone FR380 vs the Michelin X offered by DiamondBack.
Hello,
Got my fr380s yesterday from Firestone 205 75 and 225 75's will mount on AR Salt Flats with old school finish..4 more weeks for delivery of wheels. Tires not fancy red or gold lines but the 4 were 280.00 out the door including mounting and balancing. Like the simple black-wall with the gold Firestone lettering
Regards, Xiaoman

Get notified of new replies

To firestone vs michelin gold lines

Quick Reply: firestone vs michelin gold lines