C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

"American Pickers" last night...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

About like antiques roadshow.....they had a Civil War sword somebody supposedly found in an attic when he was a kid that he used to cut watermelons with that turned out to be worth an alleged $30,000. A gal that worked for me in DC's husband is an expert on these swords and knew all about that particular one....the entire thing was a setup.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

That show really REALLY seems to be staged. It is interesting though. You can't be expert on such a wide array of items for starters and the follow up and bargaining is too obviously scripted.
Antiques Roadshow seems to be much more genuine and you do have item specific experts.

Originally Posted by capevettes
Sounds like they were some real "experts"

I'm glad I watched David Ortiz win the home run hitting contest instead
That's about all he's going to win this year!
Just kidding!!!! Delete, delete, how do I delete?:o
(BEST rivalry in all of sports!)
Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bought and sold military relics for many years. A few years later that appraiser/dealer on ARS and his partner faced felony charges for some of their dealings.

http://www.civilwarnews.com/archive/...hard_pleas.htm

I've been a picker of sort since a teenager. I hunted the junk yards, army surplus stores, flea mkts., etc...I never kept buildings full of stuff. But was always on the lookout for cool things. Most things I would resell or trade. But I have kept a few special items.

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
About like antiques roadshow.....they had a Civil War sword somebody supposedly found in an attic when he was a kid that he used to cut watermelons with that turned out to be worth an alleged $30,000. A gal that worked for me in DC's husband is an expert on these swords and knew all about that particular one....the entire thing was a setup.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Walkingtall
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine was on "Pawn Stars" last week and his tale was a horror story. David went to CA and bought an antique airplane (thats what he does, buys fixes flys sells planes). He is an experienced IA/AP and a pilot. Well, he leaves CA with the 1939 Stinson Relliant monoplane (was part of lend-lease in WWII) on a trailer with wings on a rack and wants to stop in Vegas on way back to SC.

Someone from Pawn Stars spots the airplane and contacts David who agrees to be part of the show. Well, 4 days later and no money for his time, he was part of the show. They brought in an "expert" who was a very young lad and had never rebuilt an antique airplane. This guy trashed the plane and OVER inflated the costs to get certified to fly again.

It was all BS and lies on their "intentions" to buy the plane at $65K. I do like to watch American Pickers and Pawn Stars even though they are staged for TV.....
Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I saw that episode with the airplane on the trailer. My first thought was, "Why in hell would a guy who just bought an airplane figure the best thing he could do next would be to call up a pawn shop and sell it?" It just didn't compute.

I believe someone mentioned on another thread a month or so back that the metal bodied Cobra those guys bought and rebuilt ended up to be a fiberglass Cobra by the time it was finished.

I still like the show. It's great mindless entertainment.

-- Steve
Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.

I can never understand why someone would be so lazy to pawn or sell to them instead of selling it outright.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 AM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by INMYBLOOD
I can never understand why someone would be so lazy to pawn or sell to them instead of selling it outright.
Wife sez because it's Vegas, they just want to gamble some more (or get bail). Now if a pawn shop guy told me up front he would double his money on me, I would definitely take a quick exit.

Remember going to a gun shop, woman was out front going in to sell a name brand revolver, they were only going to give her $150, they could have turned it around real quick for 2X-3x that. I told her to go to our gun show in two weeks with a for sale sign, and be swamped with offers. Some people don't know crap about values and/or just want to get rid of things.

The other end are the people who watch BJ or ARS and think their crap is priceless. Absolutely out of touch with reality.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Vegas

Read a great story a few years ago about Vegas pawn shops. People would buy new appliances like TVs etc. and immediately pawn them for cash. Some of the pawn shops had an inventory of new items. People do strange things. Me, I never gamble, I stick with NASDAQ.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:02 AM
FASTZ
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=RatDog;1574685892]
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Those two 'pickers' (my wife watches them a lot) aren't car guys by a long shot....
They seem to know bicycles, motor scooters, old cans/bottles, etc.. but not high end stuff.
At least the "Pawn Stars" show calls in experts to confirm their price estimates...[/quote]

So do the Pickers however, they bring in their experts AFTER they make their purchase . They dragged home a barn find 40's Plymouth business coupe (I think that's what it was) and brought in a car guy to give them an idea of what it was worth. They lost money on that one.

-- Steve
Better yet the whole show including after they bought the car they kept call it a 1939 Plymouth when in fact it is a 1940
Old 07-14-2010, 12:04 PM
abe g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pickers and pawn star shows enterrtaining but bunk!

After watching a pawn star show on old 1873 Colts, their"expert" claimed that non matching numbers on loading gate (along with other matching numbers) made the gun less valuable! This "expert" was either ignorant or corrupt. Used a dishonest trick to lower values. I e mailed the show but received no answer. My conclusion is that both shows are entertaining, but rarely technically correct or near actual worth and are inflated to generate interest. (As all including "Antigue" are). Regards, Abe G
Old 07-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
Saw it and laughed. Then i started to think about how many of the other items they pick up and act so knowledgeable about. hmmmm, how many other mistakes have the made concerning antiques? I love how it is always a projected value and not a real value on the items. I like the show and will continue to watch it, but it must be very hard to actually make money being a picker.

Not if you've got a TV show, syndicated, to go along with it!!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:15 PM
COLLECTOR96
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlaVert
Interesting, it does matter what they make off their picks,they can lose on all of them.
They now make tons of money just being on television.
Just like all the other shows that have popped up in the last few years.
Most of them hardly survived when operating their business but when they got TV shows then the big money started rolling into their bank accounts.
A few that come to mind Orange County Choppers, The Dog Chapman (heck he has the whole family making big bucks)
Repro this and Repro that, soon all repro guys will have a TV show.
So keep watching these people, they love your support and probably make a lot more in a year than 90% of us on the forum.
Hmmm, just a thought, lets take this forum to TV and we can all rant and rave at each other and then laugh all the way to bank
Old 07-14-2010, 04:27 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by COLLECTOR96
Hmmm, just a thought, lets take this forum to TV and we can all rant and rave at each other and then laugh all the way to bank
How about a show called Resto-Guys? They build the show around a bunch of guys who are restoring their Corvettes and follow their trials and tribulations along the way. I'd watch it but I don't know that it would have mass appeal to a large audience.

-- Steve
Old 07-14-2010, 07:22 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
How about a show called Resto-Guys? They build the show around a bunch of guys who are restoring their Corvettes and follow their trials and tribulations along the way. I'd watch it but I don't know that it would have mass appeal to a large audience.

-- Steve
Believe there already is a show about those kind of people who have addictions, it's called intervention:
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by abe g
After watching a pawn star show on old 1873 Colts, their"expert" claimed that non matching numbers on loading gate (along with other matching numbers) made the gun less valuable! This "expert" was either ignorant or corrupt. Used a dishonest trick to lower values. I e mailed the show but received no answer. My conclusion is that both shows are entertaining, but rarely technically correct or near actual worth and are inflated to generate interest. (As all including "Antigue" are). Regards, Abe G
So numbers on one part of a gun actually "match" another part of the gun?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by toms silver 60
The other end are the people who watch BJ or ARS and think their crap is priceless. Absolutely out of touch with reality.
Problem is, soooo many of those people own Corvettes...
Old 07-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Even going back to some Civil War guns. Various parts had the serial number stamped on them. I think the reason was so much hand work was done to make the gun function properly. It was a means of keeping the individual parts identified for a particular gun.

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
So numbers on one part of a gun actually "match" another part of the gun?

Get notified of new replies

To "American Pickers" last night...

Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 1
Its entertaining but a lot of people I know in antiques and collectables HATE the show because now everyone thinks that their rusty item is worth lots of money and it isnt. Many people are having a hard time getting people to sell stuff now because they have an unrealistic view of the price.
You mean just like the televised Barrett Jackson auctions have done for our hobby?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by RatDog

-- Steve
There is something similar on local TV here in Orlando called "Muscle Car Workout" based on a real Daytona restoration shop. I actually like it...shows the owner busting his knuckles, griping about cr@ppy repro parts, etc.. No fake drama between workers or hokey, made up 'deadlines', etc..
Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

This is EXACTLY why I stick to watching real TV

PRO WRESTLING!!

Quick Reply: "American Pickers" last night...