C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help - Stolen Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by jimcork1
The rig was parked backed so no rear access was possible under the bright lights and security cameras which took videos.

I don't think they could afford armed guards. Perhaps you could.

Other items stolen. .357 mag, .410 single shot and our .22 Remington Rolling block round barrel in our family since 1910.

But perhaps a predator flying CAP would have helped.
Guess not stopping overnight is the only answer. Drive straight through. Bummer.

Ps. I wasn't making light of your situation. How to transport securely is an issue I have struggled with. The above is the only thing I could come up with.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 07-27-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Guess not stopping overnight is the only answer. Drive straight through. Bummer.

Ps. I wasn't making light of your situation. How to transport securely is an issue I have struggled with. The above is the only thing I could come up with.
I got a great suggestion from the Ford Diesel truck forum. There are many trying to help my son on this theft.

Pull the fuse to the fuel pump when parking the vehicle. That way it can't be started.

Learning this now is a little like closing the barn door after the horse is out,, but perhaps it will save someone else a problem.

No offense taken.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,777 Likes on 1,676 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by shooter1951
It does happen too often. Last year at ither Frog Follies or Good Guys some guy lost his rig with is street rod in it when he was headed home. Can't remember if it was in Louisville or southern Indiana. Don't believe it was ever found either. I agree with Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson only not too quickly, shoot them numerous times!!
I always take along a .44mag revolver--------------that way there are no empty cases left behind for evidence!

Tom Parsons
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A Pit Bull with territorial issues in the cab will help. Trip wire between the doors attached to noise making device will help. Lojack is good. Leaving a cell phone on silent mode hidden in the vehicle provides tracking if it is wired to a power source. Two people taking shifts in the vehicle (if armed) will work. I like the fuse idea.

The issue is that one has to go to all these extreme measures just to keep his possessions. If your property is found, I suspect it will only be because someone happens to notice a problem with documentation and reports it. Parted out or overseas, it is doubtful anyone will notice. If we continue to sink into an economic hole, things will get worse.

I hate it that you have experienced this loss. A PCS is tough enough without having to deal with a theft at a distant location.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 AM
chet b
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the thief will die of lead poisioning along the way.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even a just shooting results in a lawsuit by the survivors. You could lose everything you own just to pay the legal fees to prove your innocence and fighting the civil claim. Even the winners lose. Additionally, in my case, conviction of even a minor felony will cost me my career. If there are no issues other than news items, my employer would probably fire me if they got any adverse publicity by citing a conduct standards issue. So, if I'm going, I'll go big time.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:52 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing from law enforcement on the loss. This will be covered by Tenn TV stations with interview. I would post pic of the 72 vet but don't know how to post on site so pics available on request.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm sure the thief was someone in need, not having eaten in months and has a family that is on the brink of starvation. Their house was foreclosed upon because both parents lost their job after working 21 hour days 7 days a week. Their car caught fire and burned up, leaving them without any clothes (other than what's on their back), bare foot, and utterly destitute. The IRS is after them for back taxes, the Mexican Army is after them for not wanting to be a drug mule, and federalies on both sides of the border want them for a crime they did not commit. Everyone has a horrible case of cancer due to the nuclear testing in the South West. No one would give them any assistance because, due to the cancer they have mange and their skin is discolored.

The sale of the vehicles will let little 2 1/2 year old Timmy to get a replacement liver, which the cancer has eaten up so he will survive and the family name can go on.

If not, then Texas law should apply.

-- Joe
Old 07-29-2010, 10:27 PM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not interested in killing anyone over property. Replacement cost insurance is the way to go. I'm sorry for the felows loss, but if you have that many toys, you can afford insurance. Obviously the crooks aim was monetary gain. What I can't understand is vandalism. What do people gain by destroying property. A local club in Stuart, FL had several corvettes vandalized outside a resturant. Body panels keyed and windows smashed. What kind of a sick individual could take a key and a club to a perfect classic car?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:29 AM
65 fi
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by raypilot65
I'm not interested in killing anyone over property. Replacement cost insurance is the way to go. I'm sorry for the felows loss, but if you have that many toys, you can afford insurance. Obviously the crooks aim was monetary gain. What I can't understand is vandalism. What do people gain by destroying property. A local club in Stuart, FL had several corvettes vandalized outside a resturant. Body panels keyed and windows smashed. What kind of a sick individual could take a key and a club to a perfect classic car?
Envy
Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 65 fi
Envy

It's the "you have something I don't have and I'm ticked off" attitude.

-- Steve
Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by RatDog

It's the "you have something I don't have and I'm ticked off" attitude.

-- Steve
That's what I figure too. Somebody thinking because you have an old vette you are a rich fat cat and jealousy sets in. They haven't a clue that most of us work on our own cars and have to shop around for pieces and bargain for original parts.

This theft seems to be professional....I mean stealing a whole, high profile rig tells me that the perpetrator already has plans for the items and it was pre-meditated to some degree.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,013 Likes on 2,531 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If we happen across these varmits, any objections if we shoot them in both legs first
Good idea, but if you only use ONE shot, and kind of split the difference it would be truer justice!

I agree this was no amateur, and I'd bet they did not take the thing too far. I'm guessing by the time the owner realized the loss, everything was inside some huge warehouse, the trailer was painted red and the Vette and truck....well, who knows!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 AM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I always take along a .44mag revolver--------------that way there are no empty cases left behind for evidence!

Tom Parsons
Maybe a sign in the window would help lay out some ground rules. Vehicle disabled - Armed owner within sight - light sleeper - alarm activates cell phone - good luck.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,013 Likes on 2,531 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

With GPS technology getting better and less expensive all the time, the idea of embedding some device in the Vette, the trailer, whatever, is getting to be the way to go. Something inside the seat cushion, under the dash, up under the frame......a few of those could send the azzoles to an early retirement at the state pen!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LSUvetteguy
Maybe a sign in the window would help lay out some ground rules. Vehicle disabled - Armed owner within sight - light sleeper - alarm activates cell phone - good luck.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

How about "DANGER VENOMOUS SNAKES INSIDE" assuming they could read.
So many keep exotic pets now days. It might just make them think twice.

Get notified of new replies

To Help - Stolen Corvette

Old 07-30-2010, 08:44 PM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

How about stickers on the windows that say "Don't try it! I've got you in my sights".
Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Several years ago I saw a knock-off of The Club, the old steering wheel lock. It had a 50K volt stun gun that was motion activated if an intruder entered the vehicle. Every minute or so a charge arced across it's length just to discourage anyone who looked through the window.

I just looked it up on Goolge under Auto Taser Steering Wheel Lock. Very impressive.

Last edited by LSUvetteguy; 07-30-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:51 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

The Texas solution is rather polite. Properly shot or hung, the pain is brief, then all is gone.

Sharia Muslim law is tougher. First stealing offense results in one hand being chopped off in a public ceremony, children invited. If the offender doesn't learn a lifetime lesson from that, AIR the second offense leads to removal of each extremity the remaining hand can reach, one at a time. Come to think of it I don't recall the second step ever being necessary.

Quick Reply: Help - Stolen Corvette