C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The car is packed 48 states await

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:28 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Default more photos from Cape Vettes

More shots of Corvette roundup at Cape Vettes on Day One of Jack's cross country saga. He will no doubt post
many photos of his own on his blog, when he figures out how to use his new lap top.
Boys and their toys:

a whole bunch of vettes:

Old faithful 350 hp 327 ci SBC, built for the long haul (note no shielding to slow down Jack's pit stops and
added cruise control to keep his right foot from going to sleep on the long stretches...):

Mr. Cape Vettes detailing Jack's car, so it looks great at his next stop down the road.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Michaelw
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack...although I am jealous I wish you the best time and enjoy your adventure!

Travel safe and know that you have followers overseas...your blog is read daily!

Regards,

Mike (from Europe)
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Jack, it was great meeting you yesterday. We all had a great time throwing back a few cold ones, hope the dogs and burgers didn't sit too heavy in your stomach .

Jack came to Long Island yesterday and met up with a few of us New Yorkers at a local cruise night with about 250 cars. Hung out for a bit and then we all went back to my place for dinner, good conversation, and hopefully a good nights sleep. Put Jacks green beauty up on the lift for a few minor adjustments and all looks great. We gave his '66 a quick bath this morning, and Jack was on his way to Jones Beach and then points north and west.

Jack, have a wonderful journey my friend...I will be riding along "vicariously" as you travel the 48 states. Keep in touch, and I will send you the e-mail tonight .

P.S. Joanne hopes you enjoyed the cookies.

Last edited by RoadVettes; 08-04-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default Help!

Originally Posted by RoadVettes
Jack, it was great meeting you yesterday. We all had a great time throwing back a few cold ones, hope the dogs and burgers didn't sit too heavy in your stomach .

Jack came to Long Island yesterday and met up with a few of us New Yorkers at a local cruise night with about 250 cars. Hung out for a bit and then we all went back to my place for dinner, good conversation, and hopefully a good nights sleep. Put Jacks green beauty up on the lift for a few minor adjustments and all looks great. We gave his '66 a quick bath this morning, and Jack was on his way to Jones Beach and then points north and west.

Jack, have a wonderful journey my friend...I will be riding along "vicariously" as you travel the 48 states. Keep in touch, and I will send you the e-mail tonight .

Hi

Had great day until Throgs Neck Bridge Toll both in the Bronx. Car quit. All indications of fuel pump failure. Got flatbeded to a corvette place, nice guys, thought the problem was not pump but clogged vent gas cap. cleaned it. Car started ran great until West Point, did same again. Let it rest , it started ran fine to Mcdonalds across from West Point, don't know if I should continue to next place .

It 6 pm call me (open to all ) if you live near West Point NY. 207 838 5695 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting********* *****207 838 5695******end_of_the_skype_highlighting

jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 08-04-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

Jack, I put a "help wanted" post over in the Northeast section of the forum to give you some more coverage. Hope all works out.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:20 PM
OLD-GUY
Melting Slicks

Location: *MIDDLETOWN NY* "I thought I was an OLD-GUY, till I met Charlie"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did any one check the fuel filters? specifically the one in the carburetor and the one on the end of the fuel line IN the fuel tank? It looks like a brass screen condom
Old 08-04-2010, 07:36 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Default Well crap, that came up quick

Just the end of day three and your first bump in the road. Our fingers are crossed you solve it quickly and get rolling along again soon. A good mechanic should sort it out fast. Good luck buddy.
Don

Last edited by 65hihp; 08-04-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:38 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Default Coil?

Hello Jack,
Sorry to hear about your car trouble. I had a car do that to me before and it turned out to be the coil. When the car would sit awhile it would start right up and run great and then die again after about 15 minutes of driving. It might just be worth checking. Good luck and I hope that you are back on the road soon.

Jay
Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 PM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Jack, sorry to hear about the problem. She was running like a champ yesterday. I just tried calling "Corvettes of Westchester" but they closed at 7:00. If you Don't get going this evening, call them in the morning (tell them you are a CF member). I've heard many good things about them, and they are a popular vendor on the forum. They are about 15-20 miles from where you are. Hear is their contact info: Corvettes of Westchester, 37 Old Albany Post Road,Ossining, N.Y. 10562
Phone 914-332-0049

Charlie
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I have made a safe landing at a friends house near west point. Her husband has a 73 vett and they have some one I can go to tomorrow. It may be the coil.seems like heat makes it happen, i was in traffic when she started to loss power. A good nights sleep will help. very hot today.

I am ok, and will be on my way to western NY on Thursday
thanks to all,

jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 08-04-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thanks everyone

Originally Posted by Subfixer
Jack, I put a "help wanted" post over in the Northeast section of the forum to give you some more coverage. Hope all works out.
On a good note here is my actual route covered map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?clien...5,7.503662&z=8

Great ride until the bronx

I will keep all posted

Jack
Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit

Great ride until the bronx

Jack
Which one of us has never said that at least one time in their life !
It still sounds like a pretty good time so far ...
Ray
Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

The Bronx.. the joys.. Keep your head up!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Sorry I missed you

Originally Posted by Subfixer
Was running late for ferry, I am sure it is simple, coil or pump or floats in carb, car was very hot under hood with NY temps, traffic and humidity

Jack
Old 08-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Paul & Friends

Originally Posted by capevettes
Jack arrived about Noon today and had lunch with us and a couple of cold ones We had about 17 Corvettes on hand to greet him and see him off when he left this afternoon.

He is a real character and you guys that are going to see him along the way will really enjoy him

Also, Don, Forum member "65hihp" flew in from LA and was able to join us. Good time.
Great time, Great people

Jack

Old 08-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Medication

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
Which one of us has never said that at least one time in their life !
It still sounds like a pretty good time so far ...
Ray
I need medication or my head examined, only 11,434 miles to go

Jimmy & Joey helped me in the Bronx

Jack
Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default nice color

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Just the end of day three and your first bump in the road. Our fingers are crossed you solve it quickly and get rolling along again soon. A good mechanic should sort it out fast. Good luck buddy.
Don
see you soon i think

jack

Get notified of new replies

To The car is packed 48 states await

Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,557 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65hihp
More shots of Corvette roundup at Cape Vettes on Day One of Jack's cross country saga. He will no doubt post
many photos of his own on his blog, when he figures out how to use his new lap top.
Boys and their toys:

a whole bunch of vettes:

Old faithful 350 hp 327 ci SBC, built for the long haul (note no shielding to slow down Jack's pit stops and
added cruise control to keep his right foot from going to sleep on the long stretches...):

Mr. Cape Vettes detailing Jack's car, so it looks great at his next stop down the road.
Nice shots Don I just can't help myself. Any excuse to get the Zaino out
Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Jack, I went thru the same thing when I brought the 65 home. Had traffic back up for miles on 19th ave in SF. I thought I was out of gas, but discovered that that was not the case. With the same (Run, stop, stall, and would not restart problem on a 90+ day) I found that if I kept my RPMs at around 1200, I could avoid the stalling. I will be following this thread closely to see what your problem is.
My two cents: I was thinking that maybe the exhaust flapper valve on the right manifold was hanging closed at idle causing the intake to over heat.

Safe Travels

If you make it out to Tahoe before the snow falls, breakfast is on me.

Mark.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto One
Jack, I went thru the same thing when I brought the 65 home. Had traffic back up for miles on 19th ave in SF. I thought I was out of gas, but discovered that that was not the case. With the same (Run, stop, stall, and would not restart problem on a 90+ day) I found that if I kept my RPMs at around 1200, I could avoid the stalling. I will be following this thread closely to see what your problem is.
My two cents: I was thinking that maybe the exhaust flapper valve on the right manifold was hanging closed at idle causing the intake to over heat.

Safe Travels

If you make it out to Tahoe before the snow falls, breakfast is on me.

Mark.
That there sounds more like a vacuum leak.

Quick Reply: The car is packed 48 states await