C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What Chassis have you used and how did you like them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 05:46 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What Chassis have you used and how did you like them?

Hello:

Here is a list of aftermarket chassis made for the C2 Corvette.

A Question:

Which ones have you used, what was your experience with it, and what were the best or worst traits of the Chassis?

How much did they cost once getting them installed.

This has been touched on in a couple of threads except without the variety of different products and applications.

I have been thinking about a couple other projects and I thought I would ask the C2 folks about their successes and/or failure.

Anyway, here they are:

I think these are most of the Bigger suppliers. Major ones I have missed, please feel free to toss those in for consideration.

http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/196382corvette.html
http://classic-glass.com/photo/index.php
http://web.mac.com/hedgesspeedshop/H...p/Welcome.html
http://www.tracyvette.com/frames.html
http://www.ruthcorvette.com/about1.html
http://www.vetteproducts.net/product.htm
http://rowleycorvette.com/frames-new.html
http://www.corvettecorrection.com/html/chasis.html
http://www.jamisoncustomcorvette.com...ar_chassis.asp
http://www.streetshopinc.com/c5andc6for53-82.html
http://www.streetshopinc.com/c4midyear.html
http://www.newmancarcreations.com/63-82-corvette/
http://www.tachyon.nu/
http://www.carrscorvettesandcustoms.com/
http://www.colliertechnologies.com/products.html
http://www.mongoosems.com/shop/
http://www.corvettegs.com/

I hope this might spur a bit of discussion, since I think we are all looking for some of the better products of this type.

Enjoy.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Old 08-14-2010, 08:38 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Ty,
Here's my two cents worth. I've built cars on:

SRIII
Corvette Correction
Street Shop
Jamison

All will price in the 12K to 18K for a roller depending on how much of it you do yourself vs. ordering complete.

Personally, I like the Corvette Correction Chassis the best (I've done 14 of those), but at this time Billy does not have a frame for a C2. I talked with him last week, and he is supposed to have a prototype at Carlisle, but he has Ernie Coffman bending the rails.....so who knows!!

The SRIII is very good. Good customer service. Everything fits and sits like it should. I like the look of the round tube frame, but it is a pain to keep clean, and not so much fun to work with......ie., trying to get things mounted to a round tube requires first making a bracket to convert round to square. It's not a big deal, and the engines sit nice and low, with sufficient ground clearance, and a good ride. I've always used lighter springs, and QA1 adjustable shocks. This would be a good pick.

Street Shop is OK. Customer service is lacking after the sale. This frame has some issues in my opinion. The engine sits to high, and is VERY close to the firewall, which causes some wire harness issues. The transmission will hit the tunnel, and you'll have to modify the support to lower the back of the engine even more. Bumpers require some complex fabrication. Chassis is nicely built, and rides fine, but I would put my money on someone else.

John Jamison is very good also. I've only done one of his chassis, and it is very similar to the SRIII package. Fit is good. Service is good. Ride is good. His early frames requred some body mods, but I don't think that that is the case today. This would be a close call to SRIII.

All four of these companies have been building frames for several years. I would stick with someone who has some cars out there, and has a record of good performance. In the past couple of years, there have been a few new companies pop up, with no real track record, and when you're building one of these cars, especially if it's your first one, you really want someone to "go to" when you have a stumbling block.

As an overall opinion, I would talk with Billy Dawson at Corvette Correction, as you won't find better customer service, and knowledge about what parts to use, where to get them, etc. If he has a frame coming out soon, and it will fit your time frame......he would be a great choice.

Mike Coletta
Old 08-14-2010, 01:40 PM
SLO 65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Car Creations chassis. Paul converts the original frame so there aren't any issues with body/bumper mounts. It's also the most expensive way to go since an original frame can be sold for 4-5K to offset the cost of a new frame.

From a purely aesthetic point of view (ride height and wheel/tire size) my favorite is the Hedges Speed Shop chassis. I may be the only who thinks so, but I think the two cars below are the best looking C2's I've ever seen. The black one is going to be bad-***!

Flame suit on.

Nick

Old 08-14-2010, 10:25 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Like:

Thank you for taking the time to respond with such good information. I wrote to Corvette Connection to check on their C2 Chassis. I'll let you know what I hear if anything new. I'll answer the rest in your email.

Originally Posted by 61retro
Ty,

SRIII
Corvette Correction
Street Shop
Jamison

All will price in the 12K to 18K for a roller depending on how much of it you do yourself vs. ordering complete.

Personally, I like the Corvette Correction Chassis the best (I've done 14 of those), but at this time Billy does not have a frame for a C2. I talked with him last week, and he is supposed to have a prototype at Carlisle, but he has Ernie Coffman bending the rails.....so who knows!!
==================================
The SRIII is very good. Good customer service. Everything fits and sits like it should. I like the look of the round tube frame, but it is a pain to keep clean, and not so much fun to work with......ie., trying to get things mounted to a round tube requires first making a bracket to convert round to square. It's not a big deal, and the engines sit nice and low, with sufficient ground clearance, and a good ride. I've always used lighter springs, and QA1 adjustable shocks. This would be a good pick.

They look like a nice place. Boy I wish more of these places were in or close to Texas!! Performance is key for me. I know a properly designed and dampened chassis/suspension can have a ride that is not brutal, and at the same time can be put on a track and deal with high speed cornering safely and with confidence for the Driver.

THAT is what I would like optimally for this car. It will be a pricey car so I want as much, "Bang", for the buck as I can get. Looking at the frame structure there also looks to be some real nice Roll bar points that would offer good roll over protection. I want just a 4 point with maybe some removeable side bars.

===================================
Street Shop is OK. Customer service is lacking after the sale. This frame has some issues in my opinion. The engine sits to high, and is VERY close to the firewall, which causes some wire harness issues. The transmission will hit the tunnel, and you'll have to modify the support to lower the back of the engine even more. Bumpers require some complex fabrication. Chassis is nicely built, and rides fine, but I would put my money on someone else.

That's unfortunate to hear as they have a rep that is very close to my house. All that said, they could probably help with the transfer either way. Since I am finishing the build of a Mid-America Grand Sport, the Bumper issues I think are not a big deal. As I have mentioned before in another thread, I had been toying with the idea of using the old chassis with a convertible Tub and bird cage, and putting a "67" vert together for a Daily driver. LS3 power , etc. I literally have so many extra seats tranny's, Engines, Brakes, Wheel Tire sets, that as far as parts go it would seem to be that it could be doable financially if I did a lot of the work myself.

I still may be kidding myself, but I'm having a hard time pushing that out of my head.

======================================
John Jamison is very good also. I've only done one of his chassis, and it is very similar to the SRIII package. Fit is good. Service is good. Ride is good. His early frames requred some body mods, but I don't think that that is the case today. This would be a close call to SRIII.

That is good to hear. I ALWAYS like choices. I will contact them and see what they think about my desires out of a chassis.
=======================================

All four of these companies have been building frames for several years. I would stick with someone who has some cars out there, and has a record of good performance. In the past couple of years, there have been a few new companies pop up, with no real track record, and when you're building one of these cars, especially if it's your first one, you really want someone to "go to" when you have a stumbling block.

As an overall opinion, I would talk with Billy Dawson at Corvette Correction, as you won't find better customer service, and knowledge about what parts to use, where to get them, etc. If he has a frame coming out soon, and it will fit your time frame......he would be a great choice.

Mike Coletta
Mike:

Thanks again for taking the time to write, your first hand experience is very valuable information for someone in my position of just getting started.

If you can think of anything else based on my answers to your statements, or more information in general, please write.

Take care,

Ty O'Neal
Old 08-14-2010, 11:56 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Nick:

Thanks for the information it was very helpful. The pictures were awesome as well especially the second one.

I just read about the Car Creations Chassis. Pretty impressive, especially seeing the '57 Chevy compete with a lot of new cars. I am very familiar with the competition they were up against and have bought many of parts from them for my '69 Camaro.

I will also check out the Hedges Speed Shop chassis for this application. Do you have any direct experience with them or have some friends that have used their products?

Anyway, Thanks again for sharing some information and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take care,

Ty O'Neal

Originally Posted by SLO 65
I have a Car Creations chassis. Paul converts the original frame so there aren't any issues with body/bumper mounts. It's also the most expensive way to go since an original frame can be sold for 4-5K to offset the cost of a new frame.

From a purely aesthetic point of view (ride height and wheel/tire size) my favorite is the Hedges Speed Shop chassis. I may be the only who thinks so, but I think the two cars below are the best looking C2's I've ever seen. The black one is going to be bad-***!

Flame suit on.

Nick

Old 08-15-2010, 12:53 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I have built Several SRIII framed cars and Mike builds one hell of a nice frame and you will never regret buying one of his C2 chassis. If I was building a C1, Billy Dawson at Corvette Correction would probably get my dollars, and if he gets his C2 frame into production, he may get my order on my next C2. Billy is one of the good guys and you will never go wrong buying from him. He is only a few miles from me and I have been to his shop countless times. His attention to detail and his willingness to help are his real strengths.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-15-2010, 11:15 AM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Ty,

I have a Street Shop chassis under my '64 Coupe. Very well built and has what I believe to be the closest "look" to the original chassis with the box tube design. We did have to make some special brackets and spacers for the rear bumpers. The front bumpers bolted right into place. I have not had an issue with the transmission (TKO 600) touching anywhere. However, I've only done one of these....Mike Coletta has done many more and he may be right! It may take a day or so but Trey Walden at Steet Shop will return your calls.

John McGraw is right about Billy Dawson. I spoke to him 3 years ago about a C2 chassis when I started my project and would have bought it from him had it been available. I am currently looking for a '59 project car and Billy will get my business with that car. I called and spoke directly to Billy for 45 minutes on the phone last week. He's very knowlegable and helpful. His close proximity to San Antonio is a big plus for me!

Good luck on your project!

Paul
Old 08-15-2010, 05:14 PM
SLO 65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ty,
I sent you an email.

Nick
Old 08-15-2010, 05:42 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SLO 65
Ty,
I sent you an email.

Nick
I tried your email and the message bounced back. I'll try a PM.

Ty
Old 10-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 648 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
Ty,

SRIII
Corvette Correction
Street Shop
Jamison

Mike Coletta
Hi,
New to the forum and about to close the deal on a 63 conv. with plans of doing a resto mod. Mike, can you or anyone else provide an update on this topic? Comments about the available chassis for a C2.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:16 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

I would stick with my comments of two years ago, with the following additions.
Billy Dawson at Corvette Correction should have a C2 chassis available by this coming Jan. If I were to build a C2 car today, I would put SRIII on top, Jamison second, and Street Shop third. There are lots of others out there, with no track record, and limited sales. SRIII and Jamison have been out there since the beginning, and produce a very good product. SRIII can provide the C5 upgrades that most guys want these days.
I'm not going to slam anybody on this forum, so if you feel the need to have specific comments, you can PM me.

Mike Coletta
Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I have built 2 cars on Jamison chassis's 69 conv. & 63 coupe everything fit with no big surprises John is very helpful and as Mike said has been building them for a long time, my 63 chassis is the 143rd C2 built early 2011.
Mark
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you're like me you like things to come apart easy. I like to do my own work so I look for easy removal of parts. I have a SRIII frame and was disappointed that you can't drop the pan witout raising the engine. Other than that I agree with fitting things to round tube but thats no different than a race car. But I'm happy with his chassis. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Tevroc98; 10-12-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

I am very happy with my Street Shop C6 chassis. This is easy for me to say because Mike Coletta is dealing with the little issues he has already mentioned above.

I chose it over the SRIII because:

1. For a complete roller - they gave me a great price (including the LS3/transmission, pulley system, suspension and so on)

2. I personally like the style over round tube (personal preference)

3. I read that the ride comfort may be marginally better on the Street Shop over SRIII (I am sure this is subjective).

Just my 2 cents....

Dan
Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 PM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

What motor mounts and pads are you using?

I just picked up my chassis from them on Monday and could not be happier with what I got from them. They have been good all of the way. I talked to SRIII as well and they were great to answer all of my questions. At the end of the day I picked the Street Shop Chassis for two reasons, just like Dan I like the "stock" look of the chassis, two they are closer to me than SRIII was.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:33 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

That post was two years old. Trey has fixed the motor mount issue. Glad you like yours. Good luck on the build.

Mike Coletta
Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting that it is now some two years later and Corvette Correction is still in R & D on the C2 Frame.

I'd probably give them a try if it was available, based on the above comments.

Corvette Correction C2 Frames

RK

Get notified of new replies

To What Chassis have you used and how did you like them?

Old 10-12-2012, 05:13 PM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

That post was two years old. Trey has fixed the motor mount issue. Glad you like yours. Good luck on the build.

Mike Coletta
Yes I realize that.

Was wondering if you used the shorter mounts on Dan's and the issue has been resolved.

I guess it has.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Tevroc98
If you're like me you like things to come apart easy. I like to do my own work so I look for easy removal of parts. I have a SRIII frame and was disappointed that you can't drop the pan witout raising the engine. Other than that I agree with fitting things to round tube but thats no different than a race car. But I'm happy with his chassis. Just my two cents.

I hear what you are saying on the oil pan removal, but I think that it is a worthwhile trade-off to get the engine as low in the chassis as Mike gets it. Face it, if the pan ever has to come off of a LS engine, chances are the engine is going to have to come out anyway! These engines almost never break, but when they do, it is pretty dramatic! The oil pan gasket will never leak, and unlike other engines, you don't have to drop the pan to change a cam.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 10-13-2012, 07:39 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Just for a visual, here are two pictures of my Street Shop C6 chassis;

Dan

Quick Reply: What Chassis have you used and how did you like them?