C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wanting A Hurst Shifter For My '64

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Wanting A Hurst Shifter For My '64

Thinking of putting in a Hurst shifter for my trips to the strip. Not willing to rip into the console/floor so the in-line version is out. What's the next best choice?

Bud.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It's the first thing I'd change on the old girls, night and day difference. I used the "comp plus" with a short straight stick on mine, no mods necessary, and the midyear boot will fit over the stick, but the early ones won't.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud2
Thinking of putting in a Hurst shifter for my trips to the strip. Not willing to rip into the console/floor so the in-line version is out. What's the next best choice?

Bud.
For the next to nothing/nothing gain you'll get out of a Hurst, just leave the damn thing alone.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Tempus_Fugit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
For the next to nothing/nothing gain you'll get out of a Hurst, just leave the damn thing alone.
I could not disagree more. There is a reason 90% of the originals got replaced with a Hurst Comp Plus (no ripping required).

Stock shifters rattle, are clunky, are loose, have a chintzy reverse lock out, and flexible rods.

I bought a dead stock unrestored 65 a couple years ago, totally untouched all the way down to the original shocks. I did not think twice about replacing the shifter immediately, it's now in a box. The next owner can reinstall that POS when he subjects himself to judging.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:16 PM
roccog
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kerrmudgeon
It's the first thing I'd change on the old girls, night and day difference. I used the "comp plus" with a short straight stick on mine, no mods necessary, and the midyear boot will fit over the stick, but the early ones won't.
I did the same in my 64 (38) years ago. No regrets.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Here's one. Keeps it looking stock.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050B

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 09-07-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tempus_Fugit
I could not disagree more. There is a reason 90% of the originals got replaced with a Hurst Comp Plus (no ripping required).

Stock shifters rattle, are clunky, are loose, have a chintzy reverse lock out, and flexible rods.

I bought a dead stock unrestored 65 a couple years ago, totally untouched all the way down to the original shocks. I did not think twice about replacing the shifter immediately, it's now in a box. The next owner can reinstall that POS when he subjects himself to judging.

I have a vintage HURST shifter early 60's era stick and shifter are one no modifications works flawless...after 47 years..stock shifters had a tendency to over shift
Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I heartily concur!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I heartily concur!!!

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 09-07-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:03 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Come on guys, give MikeM a break. He still thinks bias ply tires are the best thing in the world. Stock shifters, in a word, SUK. Maybe that's why Hurst made millions on replacement shifters.

Jim
Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud2

Bud.
One for sale right now..
Old 09-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by leadking
I remember the old Hurst ads that said "shift as hard as you want but don't break your arm" I broke the transmission housing- no Hurst for me!
...and you're blaming the Hurst for breaking your tranny case! hahaha! Is your first name "Arnold" or what? It's a wonder you didn't break your arm!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

So, tell me. Since the OP asked about changing the shifter to go drag racing, how much did you drop your ET at the strip when you put your Hurst shifter in one of the remaining 10% of the cars left with the stock shifter?

I'd like to know how much ANYBODY dropped their ET for that matter. If in fact they did drop an ET, was it really worth the time/effort/money or is it just something to talk about?

The question was about drag racing, wasn't it?

I've had my share of Hurst shifters and I've had my share of OEM shifters including the really junky ones they put on pass cars and the fake ones they put in GTO's.

One of my Corvettes had a perfectly good Hurst shifter in it when I got it. Didn't take me long to change it back with one of the 90% cast off shifters I had.

Like you, I bought a totally dead stock, untouched, undrestored, original shock car about 38 years ago. It still has the stock shifter in it and it doesn't have all those bad things you said about OEM shifters 'cause IT"S NOT WORN OUT!

Last edited by MikeM; 09-08-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:09 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
So, tell me. Since the OP asked about changing the shifter to go drag racing, how much did you drop your ET at the strip when you put your Hurst shifter in one of the remaining 10% of the cars left with the stock shifter?

I'd like to know how much ANYBODY dropped their ET for that matter. If in fact they did drop an ET, was it really worth the time/effort/money or is it just something to talk about?

The question was about drag racing, wasn't it?

I've had my share of Hurst shifters and I've had my share of OEM shifters including the really junky ones they put on pass cars and the fake ones they put in GTO's.

One of my Corvettes had a perfectly good Hurst shifter in it when I got it. Didn't take me long to change it back with one of the 90% cast off shifters I had.

Like you, I bought a totally dead stock, untouched, undrestored, original shock car about 38 years ago. It still has the stock shifter in it and it doesn't have all those bad things you said about OEM shifters 'cause IT"S NOT WORN OUT!
OK: Mike M has spoken. Factory shifters are as good or probably better than any after market shifter you might ever purchase from anywhere. We are all opinionated and that's OK.

I am a believer in HURST shifters. Have been since the mid 60's.

When I had my 75 Camaro (which I purchased NEW, seven miles on the odometer when I drove it home from Reedman Chevrolet in Langhorne, PA) with the stock linkage on a 3 speed transmission it locked into second gear at about 43,000 miles. The transmission was fine. The wonderful factory shifter was cagged out completely.

I replaced it with a HURST 3 speed shifter. The shift pattern was tighter, the shifter never gave me a bit of trouble for the additional 90,000 miles I put on the car before I traded it in.

As to Mike's question about dropped ET's on the drag strip due to changing shifter I don't have an answer. What I DO have is the knowledge that when I did my drag racing ( and I did my fair share) I DID have factory shifters lock into gear (most commonly second gear) and cause a DNF. This was not in Corvettes. This was in GTO's and MOPAR's. I NEVER had a HURST shifter do that to me.

I am not and do not claim to be the authority on this matter, I just know what I know from hands on experience.

Rich
Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Got my 66 years ago, and had a hard time driving it home because of the sloppy shifter. It was also on long throw which was like driving an old Volkswagon. First thing I did was to rip it out, rebuild it, and change to short throw. While it was more precise in it's movement, it now had the buzzes/rattles, and the rods flex under fast shifting resulting in the tranny locking up, as many of you know. More than once I had to squirm under and reach the rods to release the jam. The noise was so irritating I used to wrap a towel around it to muffle the noise. Anybody who likes the original units must drive like a hard of hearing old lady on her way to church. Hurst with a look-a-like stick is da bomb.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:40 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE

When I had my 75 Camaro (which I purchased NEW, seven miles on the odometer when I drove it home from Reedman Chevrolet in Langhorne, PA) with the stock linkage on a 3 speed transmission it locked into second gear at about 43,000 miles. The transmission was fine. The wonderful factory shifter was cagged out completely.

I replaced it with a HURST 3 speed shifter. The shift pattern was tighter, the shifter never gave me a bit of trouble for the additional 90,000 miles I put on the car before I traded it in.

As to Mike's question about dropped ET's on the drag strip due to changing shifter I don't have an answer. What I DO have is the knowledge that when I did my drag racing ( and I did my fair share) I DID have factory shifters lock into gear (most commonly second gear) and cause a DNF. This was not in Corvettes. This was in GTO's and MOPAR's. I NEVER had a HURST shifter do that to me.

I am not and do not claim to be the authority on this matter, I just know what I know from hands on experience.

Rich
This is all about the junky stuff they put in pass cars as stated in my post and I agree completely.

It took me less than a month to destroy the new OEM shifter in my new pass car. I took it out, re-inforced it and put it back in. It's still in there to this day. But, the pass car shifters are just a cheap imitation of the Corvette shifter.

Last edited by MikeM; 09-08-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
amtronic1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a Hurst shifter. It's the only way to be sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Wanting A Hurst Shifter For My '64

Old 09-08-2010, 12:59 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I think Hurst still lists a shifter for the C-2's. Just a matter or ordering one and installing it
Old 09-08-2010, 01:02 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

One thing a Hust shifter has over the stock units is that when shifting hard and fast the Hurst has stops that are set so that you don't try to override the gear mesh saving wear and tear on the transmission
Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Bottom line. Factory Chevy shifters suck! Period! For less mis-shifts,jammed shifters etc.. Buy a Comp plus shifter. Heres a link to a new one.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050B

Quick Reply: Wanting A Hurst Shifter For My '64