C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 rear-end seals leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:03 PM
frankgv
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C2 rear-end seals leaking.

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me how to change the front and side yoke seals on a
c2 differential, it will be out of the car with the rear cover staying on the car. Are the side ones just held in with a snap ring and the seals pop out , how about the front one.Thanks, and thanks everyone for all the previous advice with other issues I have gotten.

Hope all had a great summer.

Frank.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:03 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You could get lucky with the yoke seal unless you are sure the retaining clip is on the yoke. Mine are not, so when I got a leak about 5 years ago, it only took half an hour to pull the 4 bolts of the outer end of the axle and slide it out of the diff, pop the seal and reinstall the axle.

The front seal "requires" that a new crush sleeve be torqued onto the pinion bearings, but I have been known to mark the nut and diff carrier, then count the number of turns off - so I could put the nut back in the same place - all without pulling the diff.

Don't forget to put a light coat of silicon gasket material on the outside if the new seal before driving it in the diff. They leak at the edges.

Last edited by magicv8; 09-25-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:02 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

I hate it when I misplace my service manual.

Basically; mark the pinion flange and shaft, and the nut to flange relationship. That way you can reset the original bearing pre-load. Just line up your marks when you retighten the nut.

Put some sealant around the O.D. of the seal. Don't try to bang it all the way in. You want an 1/8" gap between the seal flange and the carrier. Put some lube on the lip of the seal. Put some sealant between the pinion splines and the splines in the flange.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 rear-end seals leaking.

Quick Reply: C2 rear-end seals leaking.