C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 - Power window conduit question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Default 58 - Power window conduit question

Hello -

I'm converting my manual roll up windows to power windows. I have the original parts...including the regulators, motors, etc.... except the doors don't have the holes in them for the conduit. The door jam does, but there is just a big hole there.

I bought the power window conduits, but now I need to figure out how to install them.

The assembly manual shows the drawing of the windows and the conduit, but my problem is, when I put the conduit flange against the door, the angle is off...does it screw into the door fiberglass or inside the door somewhere?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone have a picture then can send me?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
Hello -

I'm converting my manual roll up windows to power windows. I have the original parts...including the regulators, motors, etc.... except the doors don't have the holes in them for the conduit. The door jam does, but there is just a big hole there.

I bought the power window conduits, but now I need to figure out how to install them.

The assembly manual shows the drawing of the windows and the conduit, but my problem is, when I put the conduit flange against the door, the angle is off...does it screw into the door fiberglass or inside the door somewhere?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone have a picture then can send me?
YES! Door fiberglass you need to locate and cut the hole for the doors
Old 10-01-2010, 01:14 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I understand that the flange attaches to the fiberglass in the door, but as I stated, the flange that screws to the door does not sit flush. So I cannot just screw it to the door.

I think if I saw a picture of the door jam showing both sides of the conduit, it will probabloy answer my question.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:30 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

I understand that the flange attaches to the fiberglass in the door, but as I stated, the flange that screws to the door does not sit flush. So I cannot just screw it to the door.

I think if I saw a picture of the door jam showing both sides of the conduit, it will probabloy answer my question.
Inside the door you should feel a flange like thing that's at an angle that it screws to after you cut the hole, look inside for it most have it weather a PW or not
Old 10-01-2010, 01:35 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

So it doesn't screw to the outside "skin" of the door? You're saying it screws into some kind of "flange like thing" behind the skin of the door?

Are the holes sizes on the door jam of the car, about the same size as the hole in the door?
Old 10-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,033 Likes on 672 Posts

JPW - Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward an email/sketch I got from Vetrod a couple years ago that might help.
Mike T.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:03 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

So it doesn't screw to the outside "skin" of the door? You're saying it screws into some kind of "flange like thing" behind the skin of the door?

Are the holes sizes on the door jam of the car, about the same size as the hole in the door?
CORRECT
Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Mike...sent you a PM.

Hey 55 copper...thanks for your help, but I really need some dimensions as to where the hole goes and how big it is. Hopefully Mike has what I'm looking for. Last thing I want to do is put a hole in my door and find out I put it in the wrong place.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

Mike...sent you a PM.

Hey 55 copper...thanks for your help, but I really need some dimensions as to where the hole goes and how big it is. Hopefully Mike has what I'm looking for. Last thing I want to do is put a hole in my door and find out I put it in the wrong place.
All C1 with PW are the same hole design ,Wish my 55 had PW , I have to get out of the Corvette when it's raining to put my windows in
Old 10-01-2010, 11:42 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Hey Mike....

Thanks for sending me the picture. Unfortunately (as you mention) yours is a 65 and mine is a 58 and they could be different. One thing is for sure...I didn't realize the hole was that big. I thought the flange mounted on the outside skin of the door...but as Copper stated and your picture show...the conduit is actually mounted behind the skin.

I'm hoping someone has a 58-60 that can send me some information as to where the hole goes and how big it is.

Thanks again....at least it shows me I have the right conduits...question now is...where to mount them.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

JPW - Yeah, I was just using the pic of my 65's door jamb/PW oval hole to show you really need the same sort of 'door jamb shot' but of a solid axle Vette instead. That one PW illustration in my 61's AIM does give some dimensions for the rectangular cutout for the conduits mounting plate but the AIM dimensions are quite a bit larger than the repro conduit mounting plate I have. The assumption must be that once you cut away the rectangular portion of fiberglas, there is a vertical steel plate just inside and that's what the conduit will attach to.
Do you have your doors off the car or are they still attached?
Mike T.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:01 PM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

In the link below (post #7) VETROD62 posted a picture that may help you get a better understanding.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...on-anyone.html
Old 10-01-2010, 03:06 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Thanks "My58"....

The picture on that link shows something very different then what Vet65 sent me....and initially how I tought it fit.

Now I'm really confused!

If you look at that picture, you will see the conduit is shown to be screwed to the outside jam of the door. That's how I thought it it fit. However, when I went to put the flange flat against the door, the angle is way off. Either I don't have the right conduits (that have the right angle of the flat plate that screws on the jam), or I'm missing something on how they install.

In reading VetRod's post....I see he stated this...
The mounting brackets on the conduits are misaligned and needed to be altered and re-tacked.

Maybe that's my problem!

So, I guess I'm back to square one...how do these things mount?? Do they screw to the outside of the door as shown in the picture, or are they behind the skin as what has been suggested here?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

That email I got from Vetrod62 back a couple years ago mentioned his AutoCity conduits were 'off' but regarding the conduit's location on the front face of the door, it will still need to be mounted so that you can use that interior passage hole for the wiring harness. At least the AIM shots I sent you 'seem' to indicate that the steel inner surface already has that one large hole and the two smaller holes (both under the fiberglas door skin) for the attachment screws. The AIM should get you close enough so that you can drill a small hole through the fiberglas skin that would help you locate that wiring harness hole.

Vetrod62's conduit sits on top of the fiberglas skin as opposed to the AIM's illustration that shows a rectangular patch to be removed so that the conduit mount plate sits down inside and flush up against the steel plate so the only difference there is just the thickness of the fiberglas and that doesn't seem to be a problem for Vetrod62's installation.

Mike T.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:47 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I tried to take a better look inside of the door, but I obviously can't stick my head in there, so what I did was stick my Iphone in there and took a video...this is what I found. Hopefully I can describe it well enough.

Starting from outside of the door jam which is obviously fiberglass. "glued" to it, is an internal piece of fibreglass..probably the "skelton/ribbing" of the door. Next is an "L" shape metal piece that runs from the bottom to the top along this same edge. The piece that is revited to the side of the door jam looks to be about 1" wide. maybe as wide as the flange on the conduit itself.

From the assembly manual, it looks like there is a square cutout of the fiberglass on the outside "skin" of the door jam...and 3 holes are drilled...one large hole for the wiring harness and 2 small holes for the flange. I'm guess these holes are located in line with the metal piece. There isn't much room for mistake, cause this metal flange like I said, looks to be about 1" wide.

It would be nice to have all this verified before I go cutting.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:09 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I tried to take a better look inside of the door, but I obviously can't stick my head in there, so what I did was stick my Iphone in there and took a video...this is what I found. Hopefully I can describe it well enough.

Starting from outside of the door jam which is obviously fiberglass. "glued" to it, is an internal piece of fibreglass..probably the "skelton/ribbing" of the door. Next is an "L" shape metal piece that runs from the bottom to the top along this same edge. The piece that is revited to the side of the door jam looks to be about 1" wide. maybe as wide as the flange on the conduit itself.

From the assembly manual, it looks like there is a square cutout of the fiberglass on the outside "skin" of the door jam...and 3 holes are drilled...one large hole for the wiring harness and 2 small holes for the flange. I'm guess these holes are located in line with the metal piece. There isn't much room for mistake, cause this metal flange like I said, looks to be about 1" wide.

The only cars I have done are 62s. And none had metal plates in them, unless I was to drill exactly though them. Very unlikley. Just glass. I got my locations from the AIM. As stated before the repo conduits are way off on angles. I had to break them an re-weld them correctly.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:40 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Hey....did you hear us talking about you? LOL.

Glad you chimmed in.

I happen to have that drawing and if I read it correctly....I measured 3.9" from hinge hole (bottom hole of top hinge) to the center of the hole for the wiring harness, and that does not line-up with the hole I have on the door jam of the car where the conduit is suppose to go through.

I see you screwed the flange right to the outside of the door jam. Is this how they were done at the factory or was this something you just did to make it work?

Get notified of new replies

To 58 - Power window conduit question

Old 10-01-2010, 07:00 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey....did you hear us talking about you? LOL.

Glad you chimmed in.

I happen to have that drawing and if I read it correctly....I measured 3.9" from hinge hole (bottom hole of top hinge) to the center of the hole for the wiring harness, and that does not line-up with the hole I have on the door jam of the car where the conduit is suppose to go through.

I see you screwed the flange right to the outside of the door jam. Is this how they were done at the factory or was this something you just did to make it work?
I do not know what to tell you. maybe the earlier cars were different. I doubt it. Why not tape the door side jamb, mark where the factory says the hole should go, and build a pyramid of duct seal on the fender jamb with something that will leave a mark where the contacts the door and see how they line up??

The only ones I have seen are machine thread and nutted. I do not know how the factory did it.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

2015 C1 of Year

I think I remember on the door with the panel off ,all if not most had a cut out for the PW switch (button ) weather it was PW or not or at least a de tent area. Does your's show it and if so it must have the area to mount the wire shield your asking about

Last edited by 1955 copper; 10-01-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

My doors were not setup for power windows. I'm converting the car to PW.

Quick Reply: 58 - Power window conduit question