C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I'm trying to research my dad's '61 Omaha Shriners Patrol Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Carpenterskid
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daughter of Charter Member Tangier Corvette Patrol

We may even know each other ! I am Jim Carpenter's daughter... My dad was a Director of the Greeters, Charter Member of the Corvette Patrol and Director of the Shrine Circus working with Rink Wright. I may be able to fill in any blanks that Past Potentate (( won't mention his name )) any photos that he may not have i DO, these guys were awesome and the ENTIRE Masonic Family as well as the
city of Omaha blessed to have them. Tangier put you in touch with a great man. Email me please, I would love to talk to you !

Carpenterskid
Old 06-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Carpenterskid
2nd Gear

Default Daughter of Charter Member Tangier Corvette Patrol

One reason these cars were sought after was because they were well cared for, very low miles and buyers knew the engines were never "beat up."
Tangier Corvette Patrol opened the Shrine Circus...I even remember the Member who ordered that "magenta" color...Very INTERESTING story,
Great guys ! Interesting stories and tons of photos. I have newspaper articles as far back as 1957, The Corvette Patrol "renowned" even then !
Just imagine, having a new Corvette to drive each year to High School !

Carpenterskid
Old 06-10-2012, 12:53 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Correction to my first post a couple of years back. The guy I bought my car from was not the son but the son-in-law of the Shriner, who must have thought convertibles would be easier to sell in California than the midwest!

Son-in-law told me each Corvette he received had VERY low mileage for their first year of use, around 3000 miles, because they were transported by truck or rail to some of the more distant parades and other events around the country.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:42 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Carpenterskid
We may even know each other ! I am Jim Carpenter's daughter... My dad was a Director of the Greeters, Charter Member of the Corvette Patrol and Director of the Shrine Circus working with Rink Wright. I may be able to fill in any blanks that Past Potentate (( won't mention his name )) any photos that he may not have i DO, these guys were awesome and the ENTIRE Masonic Family as well as the
city of Omaha blessed to have them. Tangier put you in touch with a great man. Email me please, I would love to talk to you !

Carpenterskid
Thank you for the introduction, you will probably fin a lot of interested folks concerning your photos. It might be easiest to list a few here using tinypic.com? Thanks again! My grandparents were Shriners here in Chattanooga 30 years ago but, alas, no Corvettes!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Revoh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carpenterskid

Carpenterskid
Thank you very much for finding this thread and responding! I sent you a PM. You never know who is going to turn up!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

This is an interesting thread... maybe you guys should start a website with all the info & pics you have.

It would be a magnet for those that have, or have had, or are interested in Shriner/Vette history.

Best of luck!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:39 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Just noticed and looked at the link in one of Revoh's earlier posts, and I am corrected once again!

In the black and white photos, the '63s look like silver, and the '64's look like my red one, with the unusual silver door panel showing that matched the seats! Acually a very good choice, as cool to sit on as white vinyl when the sun is shining brightly, and requiring much less cleaning maintenance!

And looking at a later picture, I see that I mis-identified my vendor's yellow side-pipe car as a '65. The '66s appear to be yellow and have the side pipes! It had recently arrived in California when I purchased my car in December 1966. That's about right as the Tangier Patrol would have received their replacement '67s two or three months earlier. I hope another Forum member or '66 Shriner owner can confirm the unique black vinyl "luggage curtain" I observed in the son-in-law's car.

My car was built as a 250hp Powerglide with a white soft top, no radio or other goodies. The only option on the car was Positraction for the standard 3:36 ratio rear end. Working on the car many years later, Dick Guldstrand noted that the differential mounted to the frame with two short bolts, one going in from the left side and the other from the right. In his experience, the two-bolt installation was thought to be unique to '63s, with '64-'67s using a single long bolt. So apparently this was a running change not made until early in '64 production.

I'll have to dig our my paperwork for the VIN so you guys can calculate the birthdate for the '64 Shriners!

Last edited by sub006; 06-12-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm trying to research my dad's '61 Omaha Shriners Patrol Corvette