C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

CarCapsule

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:08 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Default CarCapsule

Anyone using the CarCapsule "The Continuous Airflow Vehicle Storage System" for their corvette. If so, what are your thoughts on it, and also what size of capsule do you have for indoor storage.

Bruce
Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,183 Likes on 489 Posts

I use the AirChamber and like it very much. It does a good job of keeping the car clean, I can work on the car from within the chamber, and it has saved many things from falling against the car.

Mine does NOT house a Porsche.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:52 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

I keep my Vette in a non climate controlled body shop. Dust and humidty issues during the season changes.
I am using the 18ft Car capsule. Excellent product. Works as advertised. I built a PVC frame so I can drive into it. Without having to drag the plastic over my black finish.
After a week or two in a dusty shop,the Vette rolls out without a spec.. You do need to clean the filter every few days under those conditions. I am creating a cut 3M alllergin dust filter for it. Most users will have a much cleaner environment than mine. So that filter clean would be once a month in a clean garage.

I use a dry swifter mop to clean it inside and out. Very easy.

I also have a small $200 dehumidifier that keeps the inside humidity as low as 20%. In Houstons humidity dessiccant bags and the like are not cost or moisture effective. They say the capsule exchanges it's air 4 times and hour. So it takes a dehumidifier to be effective.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 10-31-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:54 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by toddalin
I use the AirChamber and like it very much. It does a good job of keeping the car clean, I can work on the car from within the chamber, and it has saved many things from falling against the car.

Mine does NOT house a Porsche.

I like that unit. What was the price tag?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:27 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
I keep my Vette in a non climate controlled body shop. Dust and humidty isuues during the season changes.
I am using the 18ft Car capsule. Excellent product. Works as advertised. I built a PVC frame so I can drive into it. Without having to drag the plastic over my black finish.
After a week or two in a dusty shop,the Vette rolls out without a spec.. You do need to clean the filter every few days under those conditions. I am creating a cut 3M alllergin dust filter for it. Most users will have a much cleaner environment than mine. So that filter clean would be once a month in a clean garage.

I use a dry swifter mop to clean it inside and out. Very easy.

I also have a small $200 dehumidifier that keeps the inside humidity as low as 20%. In Houstons humidity dessiccant bags and the like are not cost or moisture effective. They say the capsule exchanges it's air 4 times and hour. So it takes a dehumidifier to be effective.
With building a PVC frame, at 18ft with the car inside the capsule is there room to walk around your car? Sounds like you have a nice setup.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:43 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StingU2
With building a PVC frame, at 18ft with the car inside the capsule is there room to walk around your car? Sounds like you have a nice setup.

Thanks. No room to walk around in the car capsule even without the frame. The ballon effect takes up the slack around the floor.

The PVC frame is more like 12 feet ($100 in materials). It doesn't need to extend to the rear. I guess I need to take some pics of it.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 10-31-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 PM
ucc2ic65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I store my 65 in the car capsule and like it alot. I built a PVC frame that only covers the back section of the car to protect the antenna from having the cover lay on it when I put it up and take it down. No rodent issues with the capsule. I also run an extension cord into the capsule for the battery tender. Like a prevous post it cleans up pretty easily with a swiffer.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:40 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ucc2ic65
I store my 65 in the car capsule and like it alot. I built a PVC frame that only covers the back section of the car to protect the antenna from having the cover lay on it when I put it up and take it down. No rodent issues with the capsule. I also run an extension cord into the capsule for the battery tender. Like a prevous post it cleans up pretty easily with a swiffer.
Sounds like a good investment for a little protection.. I like the idea of making a frame out of PVC to keep the plastic from laying down on the car from inflating and deflating the capsule. I have a very good car cover now but it still gets dusty. Just thought of getting a capsule so you can see the car instead of it being covered all the time. I do not have any issues with anything falling on my car or any of the other cars in my garage... only items in this garage are cars, work bench, tool chest, t.v., and a fridge. I have another garage that has all the other items that one would have in it.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:35 PM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I have several carcapsule's by PDQ. I use the 18 foot but the 16 foot would be fine for a Vette. They can be found here: carcapsule.com
The quality is good. I have two that are almost seven years old. Put your car in detailed and dry and it will come out just as it went in. I use a flanned lined cover on my car so the plastic during assembly will not mark the paint. I usually detail the car, top the fluids and let dry in the garage a day or two to get the moisture out. Install is simple lay the base down, like a tarp with a zipper. Cover the car if you chose. Zipper the top on and plug in. Watch it grow!!! I have used one at my Arizona home in a uncooled garage that can get to be 100+ degrees. I have used one in a unheated garage in the cold on the midwest with no problems. I have torn a small hole in one and repaired with packing tape. Price was about $350. Here is what it looks like :

Old 10-31-2010, 11:42 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tommyn
I have several carcapsule's by PDQ. I use the 18 foot but the 16 foot would be fine for a Vette. They can be found here: carcapsule.com
The quality is good. I have two that are almost seven years old. Put your car in detailed and dry and it will come out just as it went in. I use a flanned lined cover on my car so the plastic during assembly will not mark the paint. I usually detail the car, top the fluids and let dry in the garage a day or two to get the moisture out. Install is simple lay the base down, like a tarp with a zipper. Cover the car if you chose. Zipper the top on and plug in. Watch it grow!!! I have used one at my Arizona home in a uncooled garage that can get to be 100+ degrees. I have used one in a unheated garage in the cold on the midwest with no problems. I have torn a small hole in one and repaired with packing tape. Price was about $350. Here is what it looks like :

Awesome...

Thanks, Bruce
Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

I like that unit. What was the price tag?

Was $700.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Keep in mind that these blow up bags will do nothing positive about a humid storage location.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:59 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Keep in mind that these blow up bags will do nothing positive about a humid storage location.
The AirChamber has two fans to blow air in and circulate it and each fan sucks through an electrostatic filter. Air movement reduces the chances of humidity, rust, and mildew. As a bonus, this is a free standing structure and you can always stick a lamp inside and leave a light bulb on to dry it out.

We, as well as all the other boats, use to do this on our boat that was kept in the Pacific Pond to keep the cabin humidity down.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:02 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Do you have experience with the air chamber storage units?

I refer you to post#3

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 11-01-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:05 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by toddalin
The AirChamber has two fans to blow air in and circulate it and each fan sucks through an electrostatic filter. Air movement reduces the chances of humidity, rust, and mildew. As a bonus, this is a free standing structure and you can always stick a lamp inside and leave a light bulb on to dry it out.

We, as well as all the other boats, use to do this on our boat that was kept in the Pacific Pond to keep the cabin humidity down.
the air exchange does help keep moisture equal to outside during quick temp changes.

In the dry air of Santa Anna Ca, the air exchange may be effective enough. Before my dehumidifier, my gauge showed no difference between outside humidity and inside the bubble. That was with 6 dessiccant bags inside the chamber.

Here in Houston a light bulb won't do it. I use a small de-humidifier. It's only 85 watts but is a very effective moisture removal tool.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 11-01-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you have experience with the air chamber storage units?

I refer you to post#3
Yes, but I live in a very different climate than you.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:16 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, but I live in a very different climate than you.

Thats true. In winter we have temp swings from 18 degrees F to 80 in 24 hours. When that wave of warm moist air washes over your frozen car. Moisture condensates all over it.

Our humidity and short term temp swings are far greater than up in the great white north. And very few have climate controlled garages down here.

Therefore controlling humidity in the far North should be a far easier proposition. Gulf Coast is sticky at best.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 11-03-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To CarCapsule

Quick Reply: CarCapsule