C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rebuild a 327 or a 350 4 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by NOM61
Real world? Nascar? Theoretical? What are we talking here Mike? This is all over the place.
No, all I really wanted to talk about was my question in post #11. I said that twice. This is the third time. Your computerized engine program can't help you there. Or me either.

Thanks for the confusion.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:38 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Program? What does that have to do with anything?

6th grade algebra and the windows calculator. This ain't rocket science.

And its a meaningless question since you were just trolling for someone to take your bait!

The whole thread (and especially this discussion) is a just mental masturbation anyway.

The OP finally posted that he was talking about a 32 hot rod and not a Corvette, so the whole stroker vs spinner discussion is moot. You don't put a 327 in a 32 hot rod if you can put a 350 instead, or a 383...

DT
Old 11-05-2010, 07:44 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

And its a meaningless question since you were just trolling for someone to take your bait!
Not a meaningless question. I hear that statement made quite often here and other places. Just wanted someone to explain it to me.

Still not explained, either. Maybe it's not true that a shorter stroke engine will wind up to a higher rpm than a longer stroke?

Certainly won't do it in gear, pulling a load either if it doesn't have the power of the larger engine, assuming the same gearing.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:58 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,607 Likes on 3,030 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

If you think a 3 1/2" stroke won't wind up tight, witness the Nascar engines that run close to 10K rpm for laps on end and
NASCAR engines typically run cranks with strokes in the 3.26 - 3.35 range.

The exact stroke is chosen to match the actual block bore, probably 4.125 to 4.185, so the finished engine won't be larger than the rule limit. As far as I know, this limit is 358 in^3.

They also run small rod journals and (apparently) narrow, piston guided rods to minimize rotating mass and engine stresses at high RPM.

One other thing, NASCAR cranks and rods are used for only one race. Afterwards, they show up on EPay.

Jim

Last edited by jim lockwood; 11-05-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:29 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Not a meaningless question. I hear that statement made quite often here and other places. Just wanted someone to explain it to me.

Still not explained, either. Maybe it's not true that a shorter stroke engine will wind up to a higher rpm than a longer stroke?

Certainly won't do it in gear, pulling a load either if it doesn't have the power of the larger engine, assuming the same gearing.
My turn to refer you back to my first post on this subject, #29.
"The shorter stroke by itself doesn't necessarily make the engine rev higher."
I guess I didn't agree strongly enough? OK. How about this:
Stroke by itself does not limit rpms on a street engine.
I do think that the higher you get, the more you are going to have to spend on a 3.5 compared to a 3.0 or 3.25 to maintain reliability.
At some level the extra friction/accel/velocity HAS to come into play. I have no idea where... 15K? Higher? Lower?
Theoretically of course as you continue to increase stroke eventually the forces will become so great that it WILL pull apart.
But isn't this still basically a moot issue? Most people who go for cubes are looking for the biggest bang for the buck and are building engines with power peaks below 5500. They are usually putting hydraulic cams in also. How often do you see a big inch stroker with solid lifters?
You're much more likely to see solid lifters in a 283/327 than a 350 or a 383!
Let me close by saying in the strongest possible terms...
YOU ARE RIGHT MIKE!

DT
Old 11-06-2010, 05:57 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

My turn to refer you back to my first post on this subject, #29.
"The shorter stroke by itself doesn't necessarily make the engine rev higher."
I guess I didn't agree strongly enough? OK. How about this:
Stroke by itself does not limit rpms on a street engine.
I do think that the higher you get, the more you are going to have to spend on a 3.5 compared to a 3.0 or 3.25 to maintain reliability.
At some level the extra friction/accel/velocity HAS to come into play. I have no idea where... 15K? Higher? Lower?
Theoretically of course as you continue to increase stroke eventually the forces will become so great that it WILL pull apart.
But isn't this still basically a moot issue? Most people who go for cubes are looking for the biggest bang for the buck and are building engines with power peaks below 5500. They are usually putting hydraulic cams in also. How often do you see a big inch stroker with solid lifters?
You're much more likely to see solid lifters in a 283/327 than a 350 or a 383!
Let me close by saying in the strongest possible terms...
YOU ARE RIGHT MIKE!

DT
That's what I thought but I didn't realize it until now.

Last edited by MikeM; 11-06-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:48 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 549 Likes on 316 Posts

an FYI:

Piston speed calculator:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/pistonspeedcalc.html

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ton_speed.html

Last edited by mrg; 11-06-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:18 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

You still don't understand the question at hand, do you?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:33 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 549 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
You still don't understand the question at hand, do you?
What question?

Jeez, Mike. .. No need to be condescending and baiting this thing along. .. Why don't you tell us what you know about what's going on here?.

The FYI is meant as a point of information. . .

Quick Reply: Rebuild a 327 or a 350 4 bolt