C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

MSD coil was the root of engine mis-firing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

At least Pertronix acknowledges the problem and customer service is eager to resolve.

With MSD,ACCEL,Pertronix coils failing. I don't have confidence in any of them now.

With such a high failure rate, I want to know why they aren't pulling them off the shelves ?

I guess I have to stick with my low power GM coil.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Interesting thread about MSD.

Several years ago I bought an MSD rev limiter for my Grand Sport vintage racer. Instructions said I had to use resistor plug wires or the rev limiter would get confused by the radiated electrical noise. No mention was made of the minimum wire resistance or, for that matter, any wire specification at all..... except that they had to be resistor wires.

At the time, I was running solid core plug wires and really didn't want to convert to energy absorbing resistor wires.

I called MSD to ask for a spec for the wires I should use. Essentially, how many Ohms do I have to have to get into heaven?

They could NOT tell me. Even when I spoke directly to their engineer (and, bear in mind that I'm an engineer so I speak the language), I could not get a straight answer. They didn't know. Oh, but they were sure that their suppressor wires met the spec and that I should buy them.

I sent the rev limiter back, kept my solid core wires, and trained myself to keep an eye on the tach.

To this day, none of my cars have any MSD electronics in them.

Jim
Old 11-08-2010, 11:18 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood

Several years ago I bought an MSD rev limiter for my Grand Sport vintage racer. Instructions said I had to use resistor plug wires or the rev limiter would get confused by the radiated electrical noise. No mention was made of the minimum wire resistance or, for that matter, any wire specification at all..... except that they had to be resistor wires.

At the time, I was running solid core plug wires and really didn't want to convert to energy absorbing resistor wires.

I called MSD to ask for a spec for the wires I should use. Essentially, how many Ohms do I have to have to get into heaven?

They could NOT tell me. Even when I spoke directly to their engineer (and, bear in mind that I'm an engineer so I speak the language), I could not get a straight answer. They didn't know. Oh, but they were sure that their suppressor wires met the spec and that I should buy them.

I sent the rev limiter back, kept my solid core wires, and trained myself to keep an eye on the tach.

To this day, none of my cars have any MSD electronics in them.

Jim
I got the same run around from them on the one,s I had why are they going out with in 6 mos on the C5. I never got a good reason I got or bought one new one and sold the set....Went back to the stock one,s that works great still.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Jim
Ohms are not the important spec, the issue is if the wires are RF supressing or not. Some use resistance (like stock carbon core) and the spiral cores wires use inductance (have lower ohms/foot). Yes I am a EE also.

Amazing that stock HEI's can last for 20 yrs with little maintaince
Old 11-09-2010, 03:48 AM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not at all the case here, but MSD has some ignition boxes that will burn a street coil up in a short while. The 7AL series being one of them. MSD will (or would) tell you in short order that you can anticipate coil failure. I haven't talked to them in a while. Apparently their good guys have moved on. I used a Jacobs box and ultra-coil in my 454SS for years without a single problem. Hated to see them sell out. Their top ignition box included an anti-theft / hijack system, an infinitely adjustable rev limiter, a tuning mode that turned off the multiple discharge for use of a timing light, and a full throttle system that would boost output at full throttle. They also offered plug wires with ceramic boots for use with headers plus other neat electronics. RIP Jacobs.

Last edited by Vogie; 11-09-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikem350
the spiral cores wires use inductance (have lower ohms/foot). Yes I am a EE also.
I'll frankly admit I've been unable to reason through how/why the spiral core wires should have any beneficial effect on radiated noise. The MSD engineer had no clue.

They would have no effect on capacitive coupling and, save for the reduced current due to the resistive element, look to have no effect on inductive coupling either.

My take-away from the encounter with MSD was that the spiral core wires represented a significant marketing breakthrough.

Jim
Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My take-away from the encounter with MSD was that the spiral core wires represented a significant marketing breakthrough.

Jim

I have been through a couple of 6AL boxes in the past due to failure and currently have a dead miss at 3200 rpm on my 66 Mustang track car with an MSD setup . Take a guess what the rpm is for the speed limit in my area . I will come up with a different spark solution going forward.. I also notice that the rev limiter chip is not very accurate - I have to use one that is 500 more than I desire because it cuts out early. This used to be really good stuff
Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 PM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what electronics and coil set up are you guys using when you get fed up with MSD? As Vogie mentioned, I really liked the Jacobs stuff before they changed hands. In fact I still have that setup but I suspect it has begun to fail. I'll miss the anti-theft feature which I have integrated into my other systems and some of Jacobs other unique features but opted to try the MSD Digital-6 Plus setup with the matching Blaster coil. If I have problems with it, I am wondering what is the better route to go. I have an older MSD billet distributor which has been pretty solid though the first one corroded pretty bad this unit has not. I'm not fond of Accel or Mallory as I have had bad experiences with both. Never tried MSD back when everyone seemed to think they were at the top of the game, as the Jacobs stuff was so solid.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,729 Likes on 811 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Sxrxrnr
Called MSD Tech today. Explained problem and solution. I got a virtual shrug of the shoulders and a gaze at the sky and switched to a sales clerk named Hope. She did not know what to do for me to get warranty support for the bad coil except to tell me to send it back, they would test it and if defective send me another coil. I suggested that I did not need another coil as I had just bought one and this was how I knew that I had a bad one.

She said would have supervisor call me. She then called back a few minutes later and gave me choices.

1. Send coil back and they would send me MSD clothing,,,I don't need another coil. They will not refund money.

2. Or I could have merchandise of equal value.

3. Take it back to merchant where purchased. Have them call MSD for approval to refund money. If they are willing to do this, and it's up to their option, then MSD will reimburse the merchant. Likely will not even waste the time to do this.
Request a Mallory sweatshirt..........
Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
Request a Mallory sweatshirt..........
Old 11-30-2010, 01:34 PM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so far so good with my MSD digital-6 plus and blaster coil....

Seems to have cured the problem (high speed miss) that I was having with my vintage jacobs setup. Only complaints are:

1. the box is huge and has wires on both ends which complicated installation.

2. wish the two-step rev limiter had the ability to be set below 2k

3. wish the retard on start was 10 degrees or adjustable, it is fixed at 20 degrees which is too much for my engine, so I don't get to use that option and I kinda expect some others will be feel the same....too bad to0, it was nice to have it built in.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by macdarren
so far so good with my MSD digital-6 plus and blaster coil....

Seems to have cured the problem (high speed miss) that I was having with my vintage jacobs setup. Only complaints are:

1. the box is huge and has wires on both ends which complicated installation.

2. wish the two-step rev limiter had the ability to be set below 2k

3. wish the retard on start was 10 degrees or adjustable, it is fixed at 20 degrees which is too much for my engine, so I don't get to use that option and I kinda expect some others will be feel the same....too bad to0, it was nice to have it built in.
I'm still running fine since replacing blaster coil with another. However each time the engine gives any hiccup still gives me a slight case of sweaty palms.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:45 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

You guys had me scared with all the stories of Chinese BLASTER II coils going bad. I checked on mine, HECHO IN MEXICO! I feel so much better now...
Old 10-05-2022, 09:14 PM
Asticou
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had number 3 coil failure on MSD Blaster. No mileage, just around 1 hour of test running engine. Distributors are junk too
Old 10-07-2022, 11:28 AM
Muttley
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

12 year old thread
Old 10-08-2022, 09:19 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Asticou
I just had number 3 coil failure on MSD Blaster. No mileage, just around 1 hour of test running engine. Distributors are junk too
Im not sure what the run is on resurrecting threads from 2010 is today…

Quick Reply: MSD coil was the root of engine mis-firing.