C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Keisler Trany Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:34 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 64tux
after checking things out, i found that i was a quart low on tranny fliud. had oil all over the bottom of car. at first i thought the oil pan was leaking. i never would have thought that the NEW tranny was leaking. but it is! can't realy see where its coming from , but acording to other tremec owners, they say its the speed cable. so now all i have to do is figure out how to stop the leak? i'd lost nearly a quart of oil. no wonder it wouldn't shift right!!!
Had the exact same issue on my TKO 600 (in my 70 Chevelle) about 18 months ago. Called the guys at Keisler and had a new speedo cable in 2 days. No other issues.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:47 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

after checking things out, i found that i was a quart low on tranny fliud. had oil all over the bottom of car. at first i thought the oil pan was leaking. i never would have thought that the NEW tranny was leaking. but it is! can't realy see where its coming from , but acording to other tremec owners, they say its the speed cable. so now all i have to do is figure out how to stop the leak? i'd lost nearly a quart of oil. no wonder it wouldn't shift right!!!
they can leak from the speedo cable housing and also the rear yoke welch plug....much has been written about this ....even at a quart low, i don't see how it would give the symptoms you describe...good luck and keep us posted please......
Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by midyearvette
they can leak from the speedo cable housing and also the rear yoke welch plug....much has been written about this ....even at a quart low, i don't see how it would give the symptoms you describe...good luck and keep us posted please......
Yep, the rear yoke or seal in the TKO 600 is a problem. They do leak a little. I have gone through two yokes and 3 or 4 seals. Nothing fixes the problem. But it's a small leak and only when I have been driving the car and park it. When it is just sitting in the garage, it doesn't leak at all.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
Yep, the rear yoke or seal in the TKO 600 is a problem. They do leak a little. I have gone through two yokes and 3 or 4 seals. Nothing fixes the problem. But it's a small leak and only when I have been driving the car and park it. When it is just sitting in the garage, it doesn't leak at all.

Interesting. My TKO 600 has never leaked a drop in almost 4 years. That's the transmission most of the Cobra boys are running and I've never heard of this being a problem with them either.

Jim
Old 06-01-2011, 09:35 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

i'll confirm the rear seal IS a problem.. i have one leaking on my car as well.. it has leaked from day 1 and after 1500 miles, it seems to be slowly getting worse. it does not leak onto the garage floor while parked, but it slings oil while driving for sure.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Interesting. My TKO 600 has never leaked a drop in almost 4 years. That's the transmission most of the Cobra boys are running and I've never heard of this being a problem with them either.

Jim
Not really, I've had one in my vette, the cobra and my wife's mustang and they have all leaked from some where. Lots of post on Club Cobra about the tremecs too.. Synchromesh fluid is VERY thin and seems to find a way out of those transmissions...

Dave
Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hitch
Not really, I've had one in my vette, the cobra and my wife's mustang and they have all leaked from some where. Lots of post on Club Cobra about the tremecs too.. Synchromesh fluid is VERY thin and seems to find a way out of those transmissions...

Dave

I must have missed those posts. I've been an active member at CC for almost 10 years. I've only had two Tremec's but they never leaked a drop. I run ATF in them (same viscosity as Synchromesh). They seem to be less notchy and shift smoother plus it's a lot cheaper. There is no reason a properly assembled tranny should leak.

Jim

Last edited by 1snake; 06-01-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 AM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
64Tux,

Here is a step-by step process to assure that the clutch is not dragging or the pilot bearing is not grabbing the input shaft. Do it in this order, and you can assure that it is not the clutch or pilot bearing.

1. Put the car in gear, any gear.

2. Start the car.

3. Depress the clutch.

4. Move the shifter to neutral.

5. While still holding the clutch depressed, try to shift to reverse.

If the gears grind, you can bet the farm that either the clutch is dragging or the pilot bearing is bad. Any other gear but reverse will not grind because they are synchronized and the gears will not engage if the syncro ring ring can't brake the gears to a stop to allow them to engage. Reverse is the only gear that will really tell you if the input shaft is spinning because it is not synchronized and it will grind if the input shaft is still turning. All other gears will act just like your symptoms, the gear simply will not engage because the synchro can not brake the input shaft to a full stop. If the gears engage while stopped, I can not think of any other reason that the trans will not go into gear when running except for a input shaft that is not disconnecting from the engine.

Regards, John McGraw
thanks for your input John! now that have noticed that i was a quart low on tranny lube, i'm hoping that will solve my problem. i'n not sure where its leaking. some of the posts on the forum say theirs were leaking at the speed cable, but it almost looks like its coming out where the drive shaft go in the tranny. if thats the case how do you fix that???? if anyones had this problem, what was your fix????
thanks, RAY
Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks for your input John! now that have noticed that i was a quart low on tranny lube, i'm hoping that will solve my problem. i'n not sure where its leaking. some of the posts on the forum say theirs were leaking at the speed cable, but it almost looks like its coming out where the drive shaft go in the tranny. if thats the case how do you fix that???? if anyones had this problem, what was your fix????
thanks, RAY
You will need to remove the rear yoke, fill it full of water and see if it leaks. If it does, you can use some silicone to fix it. If it's the seal, you can replace it. Like I said, I have gone through 2 yokes and 3 or 4 seals and it still leaks a little. I'm thinking there were either some bad yokes or design issues at some time that may now be fixed with the newer ones. It upset me at first since I have a new motor and no leaks other than the TKO. But I'm not willing to put any more time into fixing it as I don't think there is a good fix. Keisler said send the transmission back so they can fix it but I don't want to remove it, pay shipping, and then re-install it. Too much time, money, aggravation, and no guarantee it won't leak again. I just use a drip pan, check the fluid level every once in awhile, and forget about it.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

You will need to remove the rear yoke, fill it full of water and see if it leaks. If it does, you can use some silicone to fix it. If it's the seal, you can replace it. Like I said, I have gone through 2 yokes and 3 or 4 seals and it still leaks a little. I'm thinking there were either some bad yokes or design issues at some time that may now be fixed with the newer ones. It upset me at first since I have a new motor and no leaks other than the TKO. But I'm not willing to put any more time into fixing it as I don't think there is a good fix. Keisler said send the transmission back so they can fix it but I don't want to remove it, pay shipping, and then re-install it. Too much time, money, aggravation, and no guarantee it won't leak again. I just use a drip pan, check the fluid level every once in awhile, and forget about it.
mine leaks enough that bottom of the car behind the yoke is covered with oil. then drips on the floor. seems like a pretty good leak. i guess i'll check the yoke and the seal. is the seal hard to replace. any tips!! thanks, 64tux
Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

is the seal hard to replace. any tips!! thanks, 64tux
Simply pry the old one out and tap the new one in.

Jim
Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1snake
Simply pry the old one out and tap the new one in.

Jim
thanks, 1snake!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

i removed my rear yoke and filled it with water. it leaked. a good sized drop about every 3 seconds. can it be fixed or do i replace? does tranny oil run inside of the yoke?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:34 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

by the way, why isn't Keisler on the sponsor list anymore??????
Old 06-02-2011, 01:44 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just use some JB Weld or epoxy to seal the leak.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:49 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KC John
Just use some JB Weld or epoxy to seal the leak.
like cleaning it out good and sealing from the inside??
Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I don't know that it would matter whether or not you put it inside or on the outside. It shouldn't take much to seal it.

Get notified of new replies

To Keisler Trany Trouble

Old 06-02-2011, 02:03 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KC John
I don't know that it would matter whether or not you put it inside or on the outside. It shouldn't take much to seal it.
sounds good! thanks for your help!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:02 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

i removed my rear yoke and filled it with water. it leaked. a good sized drop about every 3 seconds. can it be fixed or do i replace? does tranny oil run inside of the yoke?
this is sure getting to be an old boring story, how old is the tranny? i think it was posted last year that this problem was resolved, it happened to mine when it was new several years ago....bwtfdik??....
Old 06-02-2011, 03:12 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by midyearvette
this is sure getting to be an old boring story, how old is the tranny? i think it was posted last year that this problem was resolved, it happened to mine when it was new several years ago....bwtfdik??....

So the problem isn't with the Tremec, it's with the part supplied by Keisler. That explains why the Cobra guys never had any problems.

Jim

Quick Reply: Keisler Trany Trouble